XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
If you have one of these latest digital detectors, you might have a noise cancel, I'd try that first, obviously make sure your ground balance is correct. Then some have a frequency shift option, increase or decrease the frequency with the shift option to see if you get a quiet spot. Change to a different, or single frequency, if you have a multi frequency detector (SMF).
Last try a different coil. Elliptical coils usually pick up less EMI than a round one.
Decrease your sensitivity a little.
Grab an analog detector, or a different one, if you have more than one.

OP
OP
Bucket Lister

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have one of these latest digital detectors, you might have a noise cancel, I'd try that first, obviously make sure your ground balance is correct. Then some have a frequency shift option, increase or decrease the frequency with the shift option to see if you get a quiet spot. Change to a different, or single frequency, if you have a multi frequency detector (SMF).
Last try a different coil. Elliptical coils usually pick up less EMI than a round one.
Decrease your sensitivity a little.
Grab an analog detector, or a different one, if you have more than one.
What you see is what I have--first & only.
That's why I asked here. Still learning this thing.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Simple it seems.
Just need to remember it when I encounter it again.
Electric fencing is the worse.
Gary is easy to understand also.

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
Deus II,
Noise cancel- frequency scan
Frequency shift
Change from multi frequency to a single frequency, usually a higher one.
Reduce Sensitivity a little
Increase stabilizer a little
Smaller coil - 9", if you're using a larger one, if you have it.
Unfortunately, it's a wireless unit, and there might be areas that the EMI might be too much for it.

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to determine the source of the emi use your coil. Point the bottom of the coil in the air (straight out from you) and make a circle. You are using the coil as an antenna same as a directional antenna for a radio. The emi will be loudest/strongest at/near the direction of the source. Then you will know if it is power line, bad cable tv line, etc.

OP
OP
Bucket Lister

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to determine the source of the emi use your coil. Point the bottom of the coil in the air (straight out from you) and make a circle. You are using the coil as an antenna same as a directional antenna for a radio. The emi will be loudest/strongest at/near the direction of the source. Then you will know if it is power line, bad cable tv line, etc.
Thanks, I know the source--overhead lines--phone, electric, & cable. They inundate 2/3 of the front yard. Once I get out from under them (plus a few feet) the noise quiets down.

Maybe I need a Faraday Umbrella? 🤣

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Normally I would suggest some additional shielding around the control box, but with the Deus that's not an option, as there is wireless communication between the coil and the control box.

If you're picking up EMI from the power lines, that is generally 50Hz-60Hz, so the higher in freq. you go, the quieter it should become.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Normally I would suggest some additional shielding around the control box, but with the Deus that's not an option, as there is wireless communication between the coil and the control box.

If you're picking up EMI from the power lines, that is generally 50Hz-60Hz, so the higher in freq. you go, the quieter it should become.
With Deus l HF coil it was possible but with the Deus ll the Freq. only going up to 45.45 kHz

Frequency range available from 4 kHz to 45 kHz: 4.08 to 4.76 kHz - 6.94 to 8.08 kHz - 10.39 to 15.15 kHz - 15.62 to 20.75 kHz - 22.06 to 28.57 kHz - 29.41 to 35.32 kHz - 36.36 to 45.45 kHz.

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may have to contact the power company as well as whoever controls/owns those lines! There are limits of the levels of leakage allowed that must comply with FCC rules/regulations.

OP
OP
Bucket Lister

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know that it's that bad. I've still got to try the suggestions already proffered.

I also won't cause any problems for these folks.

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes letting them know that they may have a problem helps them rather than causing them trouble. A defective line can really lead to additional trouble.

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know that it's that bad. I've still got to try the suggestions already proffered.

I also won't cause any problems for these folks.
In my yard with the Deus 2 it's underground dog fence on my neighbor's property. The only way to combat the EMI is Mono mode. In FMF the Deus 2 is useless in my yard.

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only way to beat the underground dog fence is with a nightime shovel or live in the country. :BangHead::BangHead:

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only way to beat the underground dog fence is with a nightime shovel or live in the country. :BangHead::BangHead:
I do live in the country, and the flashlight on my nighttime shovel gives me away every time. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions