dec 13 cocoa ,florida-- historical society meeting-1715 fleet missing vessels

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep folks its on dec 13th , 2008 at 2 pm at 435 Brevard Ave in Cocoa --- Mr Armstrong (of the book "rainbow chasers") and I will be at the annual meeting of the florida historical society (open to the public and free according to terry ) --- my focus will be on the 4 missing fleet vessels of the 1715 fleet * and their possible general locations--- I will be tell what I think and why I think it --- and what facts and factors there are that back my ideals . its well known that I think 4 vessels broke away and headed northward a day before the main storm hit the fleet sink 7 vessels in their "known" locations ---Ivan

rex MAY have found 1 of the 4 vessels off of melborne --leaving 3 still unaccounted for

according to historical accounts * the vessels are the nao class san miguel cargo (tobacco) --the french prize galera class "el ciervo" (the stag) cargo (96 tons of brazil wood) and 2 "patache" class vessels cargo (still being researched)

Upvote 0

phantomfinder

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2008
Denver , Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's DFX , Ace 150 , Prizm 2
Re: dec 13 cocoa beach-florida historical society meeting-1715 fleet missing vessels

Super , Good luck finding what you are looking for .... WTG . Don't forget the photo's ok ..... :thumbsup:

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Re: dec 13 cocoa beach-florida historical society meeting-1715 fleet missing vessels

I wonder if the mapping expedition mentioned in the article below will find the lost ships?

They are doing a grid search of the entire ocean floor around the treasure coast . . .

http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/38831

Bill

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

doubtful --they are going to be mapping deep water reefs* that are threatened by deep water trawlers ---not the shallow water treasure ship killer reefs

SebastianSam

Jul 27, 2008
Fort Pierce, FL.
Detector(s) used
Lee Harding pulse

But much of the 1715 historical documentation states that several of ths ships were "lost in deep water" or "on the high seas". I think you quoted this yourself.

There is certainly a chance they may discover a 1715 ship in that long stretch between Cape Canaveral and Fort Pierce. (or ships from other periods) In fact, the article stated it is more of an "archaeological" expedition.

Dr. Dominique Rissolo, executive director of the Waitt Institute for Discovery, declined to give details of the mission but hinted that it involves obtaining archaeological rather than environmental data.

Sneaky b@$tards.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

the pacific job * was what they were refering to as a archaeological hunting .

it is possible of course that they could find wrecks -- but most of the old treasure wrecks wrecks were killed by being smashed in the shallows --hitting reefs or bottom banging till their hulls burst -- and as such were shallow water wrecks .

if a vessel wrecked or broke up in water were salvage was not possible by the primitive means of the day --or sank unknown as to it where abouts -- often it was said it sank in deep water or the "high seas" (waves) got her. -- large waves could roll a ship over unto its side killing it -- many wrecks if they sank out of site of another vessel or even if there were no survivors of a shallow water wreck became "lost vessels" -- survivors were vital to recovery efforts to say were the vessel was at / what happened.

salmon --who was in charge of the recovery of the 1715 fleet said of the missing vessels --- wreckage of a large vessel or vessels was found on the north coast of st augustine * so there is little doubt they sank in the high seas. --- now one must understand that salmon was under great pressure to salvage the "kings treasure" --the 4 missing vessels were not "major" treasure vessels carrying the kings loot --these vessels were carrying tobacco ( which would be ruined by salt water exposure) and lumber (96 tones of brazil wood ) and 2 smallish "patache" class vessels -- thus these 4 vessels were of far lesser importance in the overall big treasure recovery picture--- salmon looked for them but not finding anything of note quickly wrote them off as his "focus" was the main treasure vessels .

matter of fact some folks thought that the vessel sank in nassau sound was one of the "missing 4 " however using the spotswood letter of oct 24,1715 -- I made a case that it was not -- in the letter spotswood states 11 vessels (sails) are except one (the griffon) are sank south below st augustine and that a rescue barcalonga (single masted 60 footer) sent from havana to the 1715 fleet wrecksites recover VIP''S and TREASURE was like wize cast away about 40 miles to the north of st augustine (nassau sound) -- thus the nassau sound vessel * was in fact a royal treasure and VIP "recovery" vessel not a 1715 original fleet vessel. however as a VIP recovery vessel it would have been loaded with better quality treasure items (which is good since the two large vessels nao san miguel and the french prize "el ciervo" cargo were listed as tabacco and wood and the other 2 missing vessels were smallish pataches )

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
435 Brevard Ave. Is that the library?

Thanks
Dale

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread