Dec 22 - 14K gold?

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
Late post here. Went out on Dec 22 to an old house that I hunted previously abd got 4 merc dimes. this time I got 4 wheats. Also got 2 rings. When I dug the big one up it had some stones in it that fell out pretty quickly but my friend that was hunting with me and I were both convinced the ring wasn't silver NOR gold cuz of the crud on it and the way it rang up on the machine so we figured the stones were junk so we didn't even try to find them and we casually joked they were diamonds. Got the ring home and started cleaning it and it appears the mark in it reads 14K. However, after spending the better part of 3 days cleaning it, it looks more like a brass or even copper. It surely didn't ring up like a gold ring would on the MXT. I doubt it's gold but the mark really bothers me. Oh well, hopefully it's not cuz I lost all the 5 stones that were in it.
What a dope!

Attachments

• Dec 22 2007.jpg
    Dec 22 2007.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 476
Upvote 0

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was a posting a few days ago about a ring marked like it was gold but it was copper I believe. Hopefully someone who remembers the post will see this and be able to tell you more. They were made that way on purpose...
Anyone?? :-\ ???

iwannafindsome

Sep 11, 2006
columbus ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm v
might be gold,did u clean it up with any kind of metal polish?i was letting me 6 year old daughter look in my box of junk jewelery that i found for 2007 a few days ago,and i grabbed a bracelot out of it that i thought was a junk copper bracelot,same color as an old copper pipe,and noticed a 14k on it so i grabbed my metal polish and rag and started buffing it,after a few minutes it was turning into a nice shiny gold bracelot.its the 2nd gold jewelery ive found that was copper looking.

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
iwannafindsome said:
might be gold,did u clean it up with any kind of metal polish?i was letting me 6 year old daughter look in my box of junk jewelery that i found for 2007 a few days ago,and i grabbed a bracelot out of it that i thought was a junk copper bracelot,same color as an old copper pipe,and noticed a 14k on it so i grabbed my metal polish and rag and started buffing it,after a few minutes it was turning into a nice shiny gold bracelot.its the 2nd gold jewelery ive found that was copper looking.

Virtually ANYTHING will shine up with metal polish, so you can not go by that. The best way to tell if something is genuine gold, is to either take it to a jeweler, or get an acid test kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10K-14K-18K-Gol...goryZ494QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

By the way, anybody can purchase a 14K stamp, so just because something is stamped, means nothing.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Great story and some nice finds. I hope the ring turns out to be 14K for you, before you dump it into your box and put it away get it checked out! Most jewelers won't charge you to tell if its real or not. HH

Desertfox

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hi and nice finds! Does your ring say RG 14K? My great Aunt gave me a very old wedding band that said 10K RG on the inside, the outside of the ring was so worn, that there was nothing but copper left. I think the ring was actually copper with Rolled Gold plating. Just a thought....Congrats on a cool find!

HH,
Moon

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
The topic posted previously about a copper ring with gold markings
was believed to be a civil war ring. I can't find the post, but the story
was told that soldiers would leave their jewlery back home and wear the
"fakes to war.

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Very nice finds! Interesting information on whether an item is gold or not. I had never considered that someone would put a bogus stamp on an item..How much does a test cost if you go to a jeweler?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread