Amazing IH pinup find...more or less...

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On treasure net, do all our finds have to be excavated from the earth? Composed of metalic metal type things? Or can discovered treasures be of other subject matter?

Today's amazing find, at least to me personally, comes from the job site...a older client who employed me to remove scrap lumber from his garage. The garage as it turns out was actually "Oscar's Garage" in the 1940's and 50's...an establishment dedicated to professional auto repair. In the process of the cleaning, the client asked if I would mind disspossing of a few documents from "Oscar's garage." He handed me a small mass of folded papers which included a 1931 farming magazine, 1955 and 1956 pinup calandars...REAL, ORIGINAL pinups????

I realize some out there may not hold these in the same reverence I do, but they are a truely remarkable chapter of history...a time not dilluted by terrabytes of internet insanity and instant access to anything. REAL pinups? I've looked high and low for such things...and to find them stashed away in a dusty old garage is just amazing to me...one of those genuinely exciting moments of discovery.

Like coins or jewelry or anything else, yes, you can buy all you like on ebay or wherever...to discover a lost stash of your dreamed of treasures is something all together different, isn't it?

So for those interested, I've incuded a different sort of "IH"....october 1955...those not interested should click out now before getting offended.

Honestly don't want to offend anyone, just that I've looked so long for a hidden stash like this...real pinups are just so rare in the wild. This collection is missing 2 of 55's...but 22 in one pile is an amazing haul. Not to mention the calandars have signifigant value, I could easily frame and resell each page by itself...though I'm uncertain what I'll do with the collection at this point...it would be difficult for me to part with such a long sought after cache.

Good start for 2K8 treasure hunting for me at least....

Attachments

• ih1.jpg
    ih1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,163
Upvote 0

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Amazing find, I really hope that they are worth some money for you. Pinups are really collectible and maybe you have some fine items there. Keep us posted.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the IH is a Great find. I once found about two hundred National Geographics along a street, setting there ready for the trash man. I went up and asked the owner if I could have them and he said sure he didn't want them anymore. I took them all home, a lot of them are from the early 40's and have lots of WW II items in them. All collector pictures. They also have some really neat old car adds in them. I've seen these adds at car shows go for over $3 to $5 apiece.

I bet your calendar pics will bring more than that. Treasure comes in many forums.

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I prefer digging holes in the ground too...but this was TOO good a find to pass up.

Speaking of car ads...1931 farmer's mag has some mind blowing car ads that I will frame and resell and will draw more than $3-5 each (I hope)...surely "New Chevy six with rumble seat" in color will draw a few bucks, eh?

oldhippiecoinhntr

Nov 25, 2007
Well, this is a metal detecting site, so rather read about metal detecting. However haveing been a fan of about every antique known to man, and collector of many appreciate reading about good finds. I have had MANY good finds in my time, and fun to relate the stories.

Remember the Varges girl calenders? Very valuble now!!! I was an auctioneer for over 10 years. Sold some at auction, brought lots of action. The calenders you found were likey considered ris-kay for the day, but still left a lot to the imagination. Also, in todays society of political correctness, the dialoge on the calender would hardly be allowed. Political correctness has run amuck if you ask me. If you are going to keep them, value doesnt matter. If you are going to sell, research them a lot. Ebay might be a good place? Any artist name on them?? That helps value.

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Diamondjim,
TN stands for Treasure Net. Treasure can be anything, anywhere you find it. You have found a very nice treasure and wheather you decided to keep it or not it is really a great find. Congratulations and thanks for sharing with us. Highwater

OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes

Attachments

• may.jpg
    may.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 1,076

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is beautiful art to me! Research it well! Great finds!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I really like that vintage art.....I agree you will get a nice price for those because they are highly collectible....very cool find . Treasure comes in many forms ...its all in the eye of the beholder.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I DIG IT 8)

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
CAN'T SEE ANY THING WRONG WITH THOSE PICTURES.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread