December Silver - 1895-O Key Date Barber Dime

CyberSage

Tenderfoot
Oct 8, 2006
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra Vision - Whites DFX - Whites MXT
There is a quote from a John Steinbeck novel where he states the following,

"What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness."

While I understand his sentiments, there is nothing sweeter in my mind than a warm December day in Colorado. All to often by this time of year the smell of fresh dug earth, and the ripping noise of grass roots as my Lesche digger pries a plug from the ground are just memories. Last weekend I found myself in one of my favorite old parks in a neighboring town on one of those warm December days where the temperatures would hit almost 70 degrees. I had decided to work one of the parkway strips at the edge of the park with my E-Trac, and the stock coil. I started to find a few Wheats, then a 2 mil tax token. I had just pulled my first Silver of the day when thoughts of the old park, had me yearning for the other side of the sidewalk...

The 1895-O Barber Dime was well worn, but still had full rims on both sides.

1895oHead.jpg 1895oTails.jpg
I have found several nice Barber Dimes in this area of the park in past hunts, including a semi-key date 1913-S Barber Dime about 100 feet away from this find at the beginning of the year. I love the contrast of the old coin against the fresh dug ground.

1895oBarbrCloseUp.jpg

The only clue that it was December was the lack of leaves on the old trees.

WarPennySite.jpg

The days take consisting of a 1927 Mercury Dime, Tax Token, several Wheats including the steel War Penny, and the key date Barber.

GroupShot.jpg

The old park has been very good to me. I am very thankful that it gave up a key date coin that day, and the warm sun on my shoulders, and face just made the hunt for me. The weather report says snow is finally headed our way. So it is inevitable that the ground will harden with frost, sealing in the treasures until next year. Somehow I think this will be alright. As I sit, and sip on a cup of Christmas cheer, and look out the window at the cold, it crosses my mind that...

...Mr. Steinbeck just may be onto something.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Upvote 1

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice video Jack,you have some of that Steinbeck charisma with your post and detecting, nice hit on the old silver .....

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a grrrrreat find! What a rush to dig such a coveted coin. Gorgeous, congrats!

OP
OP
CyberSage

CyberSage

Tenderfoot
Oct 8, 2006
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra Vision - Whites DFX - Whites MXT
Thank you folks for the nice pat on the back. I appreciate your kind responses. This was in fact My last hunt here on the front range. I am headed to western Colorado for the Holidays so my hopes are up for a few more hunts before the new year is upon us.

Merry Christmas
Jack

MNcoinhunter

Nov 19, 2012
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-5, 6" Excelerator EQ2, SEF 10X12.
Garrett AT Pro, 8X11 DD & 5X8 DD,
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW .. thats the biggest plug I have ever seen .. at least you didn't scratch the key-date barber. Congrats !!!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CyberSage, you have a gift for writing. That was a terrific post. Oh, and the dime was awesome too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread