Decent Gobble Day hunt! Colonial copper and small silver coin, etc.....

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I got out this morning for our first hunt in quite some time. We started out seeking a possible new site and after going thru the brush for a bit, we were rewarded with a clearing ahead with two depressions and the ever telling Grapevines growing!
Site247 TwoDepressions.jpg
My son is walking just behind one of the depressions where the Oak trees are surrounding the perimeter.
Huntin next to depressions.jpg
I started out finding a couple nice, but dirty, Tombac buttons.
DesignTombacs.jpg
But shortly thereafter rewarded with the high sweet tone of a coin! One very crusty, heavily coated copper emerged, and we both looked at it and had no idea what it was, other than knowing it was not a Large or Half Cent, or regular KG copper, so it would have to wait till we got home to clean it up to ID the coin.
Copper in the hole.jpg
Crustycopper.jpg
Found about 4 buttons at this site and a Thimble, of a type I never found before, it was made without a top! Also got a parital smaller pewter spoon bowl, and a few other knicknacks.
After the finds petered out we started heading back to the truck and along the way a site I found two weeks ago, that produced a complete shoe buckle frame would be our last stop for the short morning hunt.
Site246.jpg
At this site I lost a pair of hand pruners two weeks ago and my goal was to find them, I DID. At this site my son got a couple more buttons, he also got about 2-3 at the first site, but no coins, however he also did get part of a shoe buckle. So we only hunted a short time, and after getting another thimble and button, but wow, the thimble looked like it exploded, and it also had two holes punched in the top, weird. But as I was almost back on the road leading back to my truck, I got another coin signal and at first when I picked it up, I thought it was a button with no shank, but a quick look revealed it was either a half real or half dime. It was the latter.
CrustySilver joins CrustyCopper.jpg
So, here are the finds for the day, all are mine, I did not get to photograph my son's finds.....
Thanksgiving Days Finds Dirty.jpg
Nov26Findscleaned.jpg
The crusty silver coin was a bent, buckled, distorted ::) 1842 Seated Liberty Half Dime.
1842SeatedLibertyHalfDimeSite246.jpg
The crusty copper after a vigourous peroxide hot bath and many qtips, finally started to melt the cement like clay coating on the coin to reveal a corroded but good detailed 1773 Virginia Halfpenny. My third one I have ever found.
1773BeforeAfter.jpg

Don

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Oh well, makes for an interesting discussion, still have Vpone NJ/MM coin on my mind also, that will be interesting on Sunday with the getogether over that coin, and a few others I have to show.
Here is a forward and backward photo.

Don

You can also make a case for a 3/7 overdate. Now that would have been mistake after mistake. ;D

Hope to hear a good update.

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Don glad to see you and Dan got out today for some quality fun ;D
Love the finds too and I have a few of the topless thimbles myself :icon_thumright:
Nice finds again and hope ya had a great turkey day :headbang:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great post and finds. Well done sir :thumbsup:
TnMountains

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a nice place to hunt. Love the pictures. Made some very nice finds also. HH......

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I'd love to see one copper clean up like that!! Looks like a good day out!! :icon_thumright:

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Don in SJ said:
Oh well, makes for an interesting discussion, still have Vpone NJ/MM coin on my mind also, that will be interesting on Sunday with the getogether over that coin, and a few others I have to show.
Here is a forward and backward photo.

Don

I love this picture! Great, great coin! :tongue3:

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice stuff Don.Sounds like a great way to spend the day.......I ate to much and couldent move let alone swing a coil. ;D

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! that Virginia copper blows me away. I can't wait to add something like that to my collection!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! I wish our wooded areas were so clear and swingable...nothing but undergrowth for us!

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old finds Don. Man, why does it always look like you're digging in SAND?? lol. That sure helps in preserving items, no doubt. Congrats again to you both.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and a great day detecting with your son! That date on the coin, I would say it is 1778, something grazed the 8, I can see the line or scoring. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread