Decent Gobble Day hunt! Colonial copper and small silver coin, etc.....

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I got out this morning for our first hunt in quite some time. We started out seeking a possible new site and after going thru the brush for a bit, we were rewarded with a clearing ahead with two depressions and the ever telling Grapevines growing!
Site247 TwoDepressions.jpg
My son is walking just behind one of the depressions where the Oak trees are surrounding the perimeter.
Huntin next to depressions.jpg
I started out finding a couple nice, but dirty, Tombac buttons.
DesignTombacs.jpg
But shortly thereafter rewarded with the high sweet tone of a coin! One very crusty, heavily coated copper emerged, and we both looked at it and had no idea what it was, other than knowing it was not a Large or Half Cent, or regular KG copper, so it would have to wait till we got home to clean it up to ID the coin.
Copper in the hole.jpg
Crustycopper.jpg
Found about 4 buttons at this site and a Thimble, of a type I never found before, it was made without a top! Also got a parital smaller pewter spoon bowl, and a few other knicknacks.
After the finds petered out we started heading back to the truck and along the way a site I found two weeks ago, that produced a complete shoe buckle frame would be our last stop for the short morning hunt.
Site246.jpg
At this site I lost a pair of hand pruners two weeks ago and my goal was to find them, I DID. At this site my son got a couple more buttons, he also got about 2-3 at the first site, but no coins, however he also did get part of a shoe buckle. So we only hunted a short time, and after getting another thimble and button, but wow, the thimble looked like it exploded, and it also had two holes punched in the top, weird. But as I was almost back on the road leading back to my truck, I got another coin signal and at first when I picked it up, I thought it was a button with no shank, but a quick look revealed it was either a half real or half dime. It was the latter.
CrustySilver joins CrustyCopper.jpg
So, here are the finds for the day, all are mine, I did not get to photograph my son's finds.....
Thanksgiving Days Finds Dirty.jpg
Nov26Findscleaned.jpg
The crusty silver coin was a bent, buckled, distorted ::) 1842 Seated Liberty Half Dime.
1842SeatedLibertyHalfDimeSite246.jpg
The crusty copper after a vigourous peroxide hot bath and many qtips, finally started to melt the cement like clay coating on the coin to reveal a corroded but good detailed 1773 Virginia Halfpenny. My third one I have ever found.
1773BeforeAfter.jpg

Don

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Nice finds and a great day detecting with your son! That date on the coin, I would say it is 1778, something grazed the 8, I can see the line or scoring. HH, Mike

Doesn't look rounded enough at the top for an 8, not to mention the rarity would be off the charts. (impossible date for that coin) That being said, you can never say never and have to explore all options because some pretty strange things can (and do) happen!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome day out don! some nice stuff!!!!!!!! :icon_thumright:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great day out for sure, with some really nice finds :thumbsup:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don,

Nice digs. The VA copper is a beauty. Good luck with the ID.

Good job on the pruners. It is always a great feeling finding things that you leave behind. Now you can sleep at night! :wink:

U

umrgolf

The day my coil passes over a halfdime will be one I'll never forget.. I think I've found everything around and in between just no HD's.. The stars will align one day :laughing7: Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions