DEEP SOAKING RAIN YEILDS SOME GOOD DETECTING

Cobalt*Blue

Oct 9, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Bounty Hunter 3300 w/4" coil
New England has had a nice stretch of soaking rains over the last few weeks. I have read that this is a boom for detecting but never knew just how good it could be. I had today off so I could bring my car to get some much needed repairs. I dropped my car off early this morning and walked my detector to my Grandmothers home that is located just up the street from the repair shop.
Gram's home was built at the turn of the century and has been in the family for 80+ years. The grounds have not been graded or in any way messed around with for nearly a century. This is very good. What is not good is that generations have cast off an unbelievable amount of trash iron in the area. It is impossible to swing the coil more than a foot with out hitting an iron signal over most of the two acre site. This site was my first experience with signal overload and I was about to admit defeat here three years ago when I first started detecting. Thru some magical twist of metal detecting fate, I found a 1835 Large Cent that day and it was just what I needed to move my mind set to the next level of this odd, some what frustrating, but strangely satisfying hobby.
I have detected this spot a dozen times and the site has given and given. The finds trailed off last year so expectations were modest.
I started by finding wheat's (10 total), then I found Three wheat's stuck together, when I found the 1927 Canadian 5 cent piece (90vdi=Silver) I began to get excited. The Toy Car (tootsie?) left me wondering how I could miss something this BIG. The 1917 Merc., then the Gilded metal piece, a 1925 Buffalo, the Rockefeller Center good luck pendent (Key Tag?), the brass pointed thing is heavy and has a threaded end (Masons tool?), it was found at the base of a stone retaining wall, 1892 Indian in better shape than most I have taken from acidic N.E. soil, and the last thing I found was the Orphan Annie good luck token. Ovaltine 3 Times a Day!
As if this day off couldn't get much better, I got invited to lunch. I spent the whole morning digging up her yard and she makes me lunch. That's love. HH Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1113.JPG
    IMG_1113.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_1115.JPG
    IMG_1115.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_1119.JPG
    IMG_1119.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_1112.JPG
    IMG_1112.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_1124.JPG
    IMG_1124.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_1114.JPG
    IMG_1114.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 633
Upvote 0

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Great bunch of finds and nice write up. I think the Canada 5 cent is nickel, not silver. A silver 5 cent would be smaller than the dime. The pure nickel coins seem to hold up well in the soil, unlike our "nickels" which are 25% copper.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds...Love the Orphan Annie Secret Society token....Drink Ovaltine 3 times a day...yuckkkkkkkkkkkk... :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's what I'm talking about Blue......Excellent dig's :thumbsup:

spritch

Sep 13, 2007
Commerce,Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites MXT
Great job. Stick to those trashy sites. Had a friend pull out a silver dollar he thought was a pop can. You never know.
Stuart

Vicegrip

Aug 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Troy X5, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the same radio Orphan Annie token at a site that was abandoned in the thirties. Your's is in much better shape.

Nice finds. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Cobalt*Blue

Cobalt*Blue

Oct 9, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Bounty Hunter 3300 w/4" coil
Correction. The 1927 Canadian Nickel is Pure Nickel (no Silver). It was changed in 1922. Thank you Dougf.

Thank you for the kind replies (SC_hunter, civilman1, spritch, and vicegrip).

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
I'm hunting an old super trashy yard also
I keep pulling out stuff even though I've been over the same spot five times already
It's puzzling ??? but I'll take the finds!

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kudos for hanging in there with an iron-filled area. It appears the patience pays off!
And then lunch from Grandma...king for a day! :icon_king:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread