🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_0457.jpg
Front and back pics from a cellar hole near Pittsburgh. Any idea what this could be for?

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7:No idea. Has your hearing been restored?? I’ll bet that sounded good

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At that size and the position of the hole I doubt it's a tag. I think it is a cap to the deep well on the ash hopper.
ash hoppers are used at coal fired power plants .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think ticndig is on to something and that hole is for a tool to insert to pull cap off to have a looky to know what be below

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that is the cap to the deep well in which they keep those fearsome ash hoppers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.48.51 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.48.51 AM.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does indeed look like part of an expansion plug that presumably relates to the collection, handling, or disposal of coal combustion residues from a power plant boiler or something similar. I can’t reproduce it here since it’s copyrighted material, but see this paper “Pneumatic Conveying of Coal and Ash” (in thermal power plants) and note figures 10.1 and 10.2

http://nguyen.hong.hai.free.fr/EBOO...eumatic Conveying Engineering/DKE292_Ch10.pdf

Coal combustion residues generally go to either wet ‘ponding’ or dry landfill and are sometimes also used as a component for construction material (roads, pavements etc).

Bottom Ash and Slag collection is usually via water-filled tanks or hoppers located under the boiler. Water in the hopper quenches the hot ash and causes it to fracture into smaller sizes such that it can be sluiced out of the hopper for disposal.

Fly Ash is usually collected in dry hoppers below an electrostatic precipitator and conveyed by blowers to silos for temporary storage. Then it’s discharged into pug mills, mixed with FGD (flue gas desulfurization) scrubber sludge and goes to on-site landfill or into trucks for off-site disposal/use.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx all for your insights on this piece.

Initially I thought I had found another West Penn Power power pole ID tag. Yes, it sounded great in the hole. I found a similar sized piece with the center hole for with stamping regarding an old coal company, I had this ID’d as a coal car or coal cart tag that would be screwed into the wood body.

I think this piece was definitely hand stamped since the stamping on the one side started to move in from the perimeter, so they stopped before finishing and then did it correctly on the opposite side.

I’m thinking a Ash Hopper is part of a fairly big operation. Maybe the resident of the cellar hole worked in the steel or coal or power generation business and took this piece off as a souvenir.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread