Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
They are the bottoms of canteen holders, it is how hot food was served to the troops.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Christian801

Jan 24, 2021
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked it up but haven't found anything on canteen holders. Any chance you have a pictures of one for cross reference? Thanks

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty heavy duty for mess gear. And that hole in the center could be problematic with liquids...

They look like 'feet' to keep the legs or posts of something from sinking into the ground. My first thought was "mortar base plate" but I couldn't find a match.

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
How big are they?
I'm with DC, they look like bases to a stand of some sort.
Remind me of cocktail table bases.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty heavy duty for mess gear. And that hole in the center could be problematic with liquids...

They look like 'feet' to keep the legs or posts of something from sinking into the ground. My first thought was "mortar base plate" but I couldn't find a match.

I was thinking the same thing, mortar base plate or the base to a shipping/storage container for artillery shells......But I'm not having any luck finding anything to support those.

Also the ridge would cause canteen cups to tilt and spill, not very smart ideal, and most mess stuff I've seen is stainless steel, if my memory isn't totally gone....

Looked myself blind last night (Couldn't sleep) looking for any type of base plate, leveling plate etc, and kept coming up blank.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this image of a WWII 105mm "Cloverleaf" howitzer shell shipping container. They were marked something like: "105MM, CONTAINER, HOW M2,105 MM M39A1"

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Christian801

Jan 24, 2021
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's it. I've been searching like crazy. Thanks everyone!!!!

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Bingo, knew it was associated with artillery shells, it's part of a Clover Leaf Bundle.....

Just saw that Charlie P solved it, I just found a the same site he did, and went to post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I found these while metal detecting near a ww2 training camp. I have no idea what they are. I found parts to a ww2 gas mask about 4 ft away from where these were located. Anyone know??

If me I would keep them, clean one or two up for my militaria collection, and sell the rest to militaria collectors.

Then again my mom, and then my wife always says I am lacking in the common sense departmemt.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread