Deer Meat

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CWD, chronic wasting disease, is tested to keep it from spreading into the population of deer. While deadly to deer, it has not been found to taint the meat. It is a disease of the brain, not the meat. That is why when I hunt in NY, I have to have the deer processed, boned out, and wrapped before transporting back to Vt. You are not allowed to transport any bones or skulls out of a state containing even the smallest out break of CWD. This is also the reason for the no feeding laws for deer, as feeding concentrates the deer, enhancing the chance of contact. You will also find that most outbreaks have been on deer and elk farms.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year was the first outbreak here in Iowa, we only had a handful of cases. In the neighboring states it has been there for a while and if you are an out of stater you have to have the deer or elk processed first to bring it to another state like GMD52 said. I think 3 years ago a farm in Minnesota near the boarder of Iowa who raised elk had to put down his who herd because of it. Once it infects one on a farm they all have to be killed just to make sure. This last years drought took a toll on deer as well because it drew all the deer to smaller drinking whole and caused more contact.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand that many states are now requiring that all deer killed need to be tested for "wasting brain disease" .. similar to the "mad cow disease" .. before the venison is determined to be fit for human consumption. Anybody else heard about that?
Yes, was bad here in southern Mich this year. I think many either ignored the fact or just didn't take deer.
So bad that hundreds (thousands?) of deer were found dead over the summer, near watering holes and rivers, tainting many creeks. Didn't find any around my pond and none dead on my property, but talking to some landowners, the stench was bad in some areas from rotten carcasses. I have heard nothing regarding testing in my area.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread