Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The DeLeon must have been created for seniors, like the Medicare folks, people like me. So very light, can be swung for hours, even folks with arthritic hands and bad backs and painful feet. I'm telling you guys, some of us are not in our prime and we need as much😊 easy as possible. Tesoro detectors.

Yesterday, while hunting in a small city park, I had my first ever visit with another metal detectorist. Great visit, too.

I held his Garret AT Pro, with what appeared to be an 11" coil, and my first reaction was, "my God, this is heavy. I couldn't swing this for even an hour." Felt like it weighed 5 lbs or more.
Whooa. ...heavy.
He held mine, and his reaction was, "Wow, it doesn't feel like I'm swinging anything."

I thought that was an interesting moment to share.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am used to swinging an F75LTD all day, but if I need a break I can always crank up the Deus. I agree Tesoro's are light, just not my cup of tea.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Light, intuitive, rugged, deep, and sensitive. Family owned, American made, warranted for life. Arizona proud, Arizona tough. Viva Tesoro! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ole'!

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Vern the Deleon is around three pounds.

Wait until you swing another Tesoro model that comes in at just over two pounds like the Vaquero, runs off one 9v battery and makes you carry a shovel because it's much deeper than your Deleon.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wait until you swing another Tesoro model that comes in at just over two pounds like the Vaquero, runs off one 9v battery and makes you carry a shovel because it's much deeper than your Deleon.

That's what I was thinking too. After starting with the compadre with the little coil I don't think I'll ever get anything heavier than a Tesoro. Swung my friends AT a couple times and a couple whites machines.
They feel heavier than my boat anchor.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Steve, so you are saying you have owned a DeLeon , and in comparing other Tesoros in actual field tests, the others are deeper than the Deleon?

Also, with the 5.75 coil I use 80% of the time, it is very light. Reading the Tesoro specs, all are within 3 oz or less. Me thinks I'll study on this some more.
I think I'd like to have a Tejon. Just maybe.

After further study: you are right Steve. The Deleon is a 3 pounder. Most others are around the 2.2 mark. Now that would be swinging nothing almost. Tejon in my fiture.

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Vern, I dont have the Deleon. Ive read the tests, the 4 pin Delta machines are deeper with their H.O.T. circuitry which gives you more transmit power. Beware the Tejon weighs the same as your Deleon, I got tired of swinging eight batteries a long time ago.

The Vaquero would be your deepest, 9v machine at 2.2lbs. The Vaquero will hit quarters over a foot with 9x8 stock coil, and Ive used a shovel to dig up horseshoes and railroad spikes using larger coils.

Some of us have the Tesoro disease, it leads you to spending too much time collecting and testing different Tesoro models, both old and new, instead of hunting.

To add, if you get a newer HOT 4 pin Delta model, your 5 pin coils of your Deleon will not work.

Wish you could find someone you can try their other Tesoro models. I have several detectors Ive bought, hated, and thrown in the closet.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No Vern, I dont have the Deleon. Ive read the tests, the 4 pin Delta machines are deeper with their H.O.T. circuitry which gives you more transmit power. Beware the Tejon weighs the same as your Deleon, I got tired of swinging eight batteries a long time ago.

The Vaquero would be your deepest, 9v machine at 2.2lbs. The Vaquero will hit quarters over a foot with 9x8 stock coil, and Ive used a shovel to dig up horseshoes and railroad spikes using larger coils.

Some of us have the Tesoro disease, it leads you to spending too much time collecting and testing different Tesoro models, both old and new, instead of hunting.

To add, if you get a newer HOT 4 pin Delta model, your 5 pin coils of your Deleon will not work.

Wish you could find someone you can try their other Tesoro models. I have several detectors Ive bought, hated, and thrown in the closet.

Hey Steve,
Thank you for your advice. I like light, because of hand problems. I find the Deleon to be perfect, especially with the 5.75 coil. But lighter would be even better. My next detector will for sure be a Tesoro, and I like what you say about he V. Something to consider.
Vern

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vern, if you're confident with setting a ground balance, get the Vaquero. The Cibola is basically the Vaquero with the ground balance preser internally.

I have both and cannot tell the difference between the two in depth or performance.

I bought a Cibola and Vaquero new, I later picked up another Vaquero used off ebay.

*if* used doesnt bother you, Cibolas are around 225-250, and Vaqueros are like 275-300.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve
Pre-set GB works fine for me, at least with my DeLeon.
My Gamma has a manual and quick GB, but I find it to much of a hassle. I could be metal detecting.
However, it will probably be necessary on my twice a year beach adventures.

A Mojave might be a good choice. But I am in no hurry, as I really really like the DeLeon.

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe I can help clear this up. I hunted with a Vaquero for some time. Yes the Vaquero is a little lighter on paper than the Deleon. However, there is more to the story than weight. There is balance to consider. With the placement of the batteries on the Deleon, in my opinion the balance is superior. It takes the weight off of the coil end.
Next is depth. In my soil the Vaquero did show to be nominally deeper than the Deleon but not by a lot. There is more to consider here too. The Vaquero has a liking for iron and requires more work to hunt in these situations. I even encountered some iron laden areas that " I could not " hunt with the Vaquero. The Deleon is quite as a mouse in iron.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well said, wheatymike. As two Tesoro factory guys have stated to me, "the DeLeon is their sleeper. "
Both also stated that if they could only take one detector on a hunt in my part of the country, it would be the DeLeon. One said he would take the D over the Cortes, because it's simpler and will find the same stuff.
That was good enough for me.

However, I still want a beep only machine, just to see what the fuss is all about.
All the fuss seems to be about finding a ton of silver coins, etc.
That's why I gotta have one.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Vern. In a way that's going backwards, however it will help you with your Deleon even more.
I started with beep only tesoros and with those you rely strictly on the "one tone" and all the nuances there in. That's what people are talking about when they say language of tesoros. Once you learn that and go back to your Deleon you will not only have the graphs and the vdi number but also the "Tesoro language" of the tone alone to help you in the hunt.
That's why I like my Deleon so much. It has the tech but also the good old tone.

At first given you've had the Deleon it'll seem weird but you'll learn things like thumbing the disc knob, which I don't even do on the Deleon because of the screen, in order to identify targets along with the nuances of the tone. Round, sharp, broken, chirp, etc are all things that tell you all you need to know about the target.

But that's what people mean by it not being just one tone. It is and isn't. One tone but there's alot going on in that single frequency tone.
:-)

Now the hardest question..... Which one? Haha lol

P.S. I still use my beep only machines most, but my Deleon is my coin popper :-)

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stefan, I hear what you are saying. Please know that I am very much in the pondering stage.
I would like to have another VID machine, but in the below $400 range. I recently bought the Gamma 6000, but I have to say, it's been a huge disappointment. The Deleon is way better in every way. Not even close.
I actually bought it with my wife in mind, but now I realize I can't put that off on the woman I love.
I'm not saying it's a terrible machine, it will fine treasure. But the time spent on tweaking such a MD is crazy. I think you will agree, for coin and jewelry hunting, the D is outstanding in in every way.
Now, about a beep only MD. Humm. Gotta ponder on this awhile.
I'll be MD on the beach at Cherry Grove, NC, next week. This will be an opportunity to test both on dry and wet salty sand. The Deleon with preset GB, and the Gamma with ground grab and manual GB. should be interesting.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro DeLeon vs Vaquero match up like it! The DeLeon is no slouch in it's own right and either is the Vaquero

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern do not go run off an buy a Vaquero no need you have some good detectors don't let anyone else sway you!

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you can always just pick up a mighty compadre they are only 160. 1 knob. Easy peasy and a really great detector!!!
Still one of my favorites in mild soil!!! Very easy to use.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should be here tomorrow, so exited can't wait will be my go to detector just know it, and by the way if I did see a DeLeon on ebay for decent price I would not hesitate as the Outlaw and Tejon, they are all good, but right now I will use my Compadre and compare it to my Vaq with the 5.75 which I use as well 80% of the time and make my decisions in the near future, but as mentioned Vern you have some good detectors keep a swinging here..if you see a good deal sure why not...but the Deleon is a sleeeeper underestimated machine for sure, read and heard alot of good things on it as a display Tesoro unit can't go wrong with it even likely better then the Cortes from what I read..but who am I.

By the way I gave in and told my wife and she looked at me with a stiff up lip but convinced her now that we have more detectors now in the family that everyone can use on there own and is up to hunting with me now. But she mentioned now she is going out to buy shoes tomorrow first. :hello:

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well doggonedignit, your wife can buy a really great pair of shoes, or many shoes, for the price of a new Compadre. Doggoneit, some women just have to get even with their men. Just plain mean. (this is a ha ha; well maybe?)

Actually, I am trying to talk my son into buying my hunting buddy, his 7 year old son, a Compadre. From what I have read, it's very light, easy to use, and can be shortened to fit a child. With a small coil, the Compadre just might do be perfect for him. He has a birthday coming up May 24th, so just maybe.
However, I have to admit my motives are suspect, as I sure would like to get my hands on one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions