Deleon going crazy.

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
I just received a used deleon, supposedly used once. Anyways got the machine quick and dirty assembled it and did not wrap the cable at all. When powdered up the machine had a fit i was getting a constant changing bunch of signals from midair that would not stop I even walked outside with it for a sec.. It didnt seeem to matter what mode i was in, weather i had the gain at 1 or 10 and threshhold at min. Anyideas or tips? gonna wrap the cable tomarrow and download the manual. hopefully if was just the cable falsing. Im also looking for tips on VDI numbers.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other people have no trouble buying used detectors, when I do it they always have something wrong with the way they work.

First I would take out the batteries and make sure they are fresh when reinstalling them correctly. Don't ever use Lithium batteries in detectors. Check pins on coil connector and housing. Sounds like you might be getting interference from some electrical source, drive away from home and keep cell phone OFF.

If all this fails, send it in to Tesoro telling them what is going on. Might be a bad coil or your wearing the wrong color socks. :laughing7:

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same exact problem. Too much interference to do airtests in the house, even after I went outside the numbers were jumping, BUT it only happened sometimes.

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
Does it have a coil cover on it? If so, try taking it off and cleaning it out. Make sure your connections are snug & wind the cable.
Turning them on in the house makes it susceptable to electrical interference (at least in my house)...take it to the park,if it does it then you may need to get it re-calibrated.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Sometimes a wire in the coil plug (where it connects to the box) can break from flexing and make an intermittant contact.

With the detector on, gently wiggle the plug a little and see if there is a change in sound. It generally will be quite obvious, if this is the case.

I've repaired this by unscrewing the plug and doing a little soldering.

OP
OP
R

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
I just took the detector out in the yard after wrapping the cable. Its still going crazy, giving me all kinds of readings in midair of iron and foil at 6-8" deep and vdi number all over even with the gain at 1. If i turn the gain up i get reading all over, foil, 5c, tabs. The coil looks new with cover and no dirt on it at all, and super clean and new under coil cover. Its giving partial beebs and sputtering all over and depth and vdi constantly changing. Coil is set very negative, so when i lift the coil i get noise form not being close to groundbalanced. I intentionally bought it on my credit card so if theres a discrepancy like the above i can get my money back. I let the seller know i was having trouble. There are power lines in my backyard. I still havent gone through the manual, i will tonight. Wish i had seen a working one to compare.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have nothing to do with your machine just like mine, take it for a drive and see what happens. Mine was very susseptable to emi.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"There are power lines in my backyard. I still havent gone through the manual, i will tonight. Wish i had seen a working one to compare."

Well GEE, I'll bet this is the trouble. :laughing7: This is why we suggest you buy from a dealer that sets it up for you and you know it works right when you carry it out to the car. But, take it for a ride away from those power lines and no cell phone turned on in your pocket and let us know how it goes. At least Tesoro will no doubt fix it for free is something is broke from UPS tossing the box around. Never order detectors near Christmas.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
After taking it out and away from any electrical or other waveform interference:

If it makes the same noise when you run it "searchcoil disconnected" the problem is (probably) not the coil it is (probably) in the primary coil inside the box and (probably) has little or nothing to do with any of the the exterior connections. A possible crack in the PC board somewhere or some other loose part can create these situations if it's not due to interference..

Troubleshooting a detector is a lot like troubleshooting a car engine, you do it (mostly) by process of elimination and most of the time things are easier to determine, than not.

One thing you can check is output voltage, by hooking two leads in several combinations to the out-post on the box. Voltage normally runs between 3 and 12v DC - and if you get this reading CONSISTENTLY while turning the gain control and it doesn't change the voltage readings much, the fault may well be in the searchcoil itself. After that a repairman is where to take it next, specifically at Tesoro.

Hope this helps.

LL (AKA "EasyMoney")

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Big Dig said:
Hi,
Why do you not recommend Lithiums??
--Casey

Sandman said:
.... Don't ever use Lithium batteries in detectors. .....
I have a detector that came from the factory with lithium batts, works great.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro does not recommend Lithium batteries. Some detectors can use them with out trouble and others not. Just because they cost more an last longer doesn't mean they are the best.

srd1941

Greenie
Jan 3, 2007
Central WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Do you happen to have a fiber optic line into your home? Three years ago we moved to a different town. For the first year I could successfully run any of my detectors inside or outside of our house. Then, together with our neighbor, we had fiber optics installed for our computers and phone. Now I can’t even run and air test inside and it‘s impossible to detect outside. Total chatter. Good for being on line, terrible for detecting.
Stan

OP
OP
R

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
Its been a while and i though i follow up. I took the deleon for a drive today and it acted as it should. So it was electrical interferance. Im glad the unit is not broken but unfortunately i think im going to have alot of trouble with it in the city. We will soon see.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, taking it for a drive away from home and most of the power lines eliminates a lot of potently problems. People may also have a security fence or dog fence operating at your home or a neighbors and this interfers with detectors too.

Always first check the coil cover for black sand, check connections, Make sure batteries are fresh and installed correctly. I've made this mistake myself.

I am glad things are working out for you. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions