Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Around 15 years ago, I got permission to hunt an old boys camp that's on a local lake that is very close to where I live. The camp was started in the 50's and shut down sometime in the mid-80's. A local company purchased the whole place as a retreat and gathering place for their employees. Back then - when folks were still getting used to Internet and emails - I wrote a letter to the company, explaining who I was, and what I wanted to do, and promised not to disturb, refill holes, blah blah blah. Well I got written permission mailed back to me, with best of luck wishes from the owner of the company. Nice! I walked the fields and play areas of the camp, and the beach, and even waded the waters with my old Fisher housing unit in a plastic bag duct-taped to my shoulder, and a home-made scoop. I found some nice stuff there, like a beautiful silver Italian horn necklace and chain, and a huge silver men's ring with a huge turquoise set into it.

Well this year, I decided to head back there this spring, so I got on my email and wrote to them, explaining who I was, and the history I had there, and that I was a local lad, and could I have permission again, and so on and so forth.

Some woman, who had "head of marketing" in her signature, replied and bluntly said no, that it was, "not in their best interests that they allow me access." GAH! :icon_scratch:

So I had permission once, and now I am denied! This kind of makes me sad because I had many good afternoons of sunshine and quiet, just following my beeps to wherever they led me.

This is also why we need to adhere to the wishes of the landowners. Being turned away really sucks, but it also reminds us that humility is an important part of THing. Without humility, we lack the grace to appreciate a good find.

Happy Sunday, everyone! I wish you all peace and happiness, and for my fellow Northerners: Don't hurt your backs shoveling today! :laughing7:

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You blew it. Did your original permission have an expiration date stamped on it?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's an unfortunate turn of events for your permission, and I wonder if she just said no because she could and didn't even check up the ladder of command. Just a question who granted it in the first place, and why did you write to them again, was it as a courtesy, or was there a need to gain the permission annually?

When I gain a permission I get the guidelines up front, check with owner every time I go onto the property, or is the first fill and last, or the best type is fill your boots and an open inventation to hunt anytime.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if she just said no because she could and didn't even check up the ladder of command.

She may be more to the company than just a marketing manager, but its no big deal. I'm just lining up prospects for this year, and that one was productive for me. I asked for permission because I haven't been there in 15+ years. I considered it to be the proper thing to do.

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have sent a copy of the permission letter and explained it was a courtesy call letting them know you will be detecting there. You already have permission from the owner, somebody who works for them can't really rescind it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Gordon has a good point.

I'm assuming that the ONLY reason you felt the need to ask again (even though you already had permission), was that you KNEW it had been sold and changed hands, right ?

But for a moment: assume you didn't know that. Assume you'd just shown up and started detecting. Then what do you think would have happened ? If the camp was closed (no campers that weekend), then odds are, there no one there to begin with.

But on the off-chance an off-season worker was there, and you said "I have permission", then what's he likely to do ? Shrug his shoulders and move on ? Probably so. Or tell you scram ?

I have actually had this happen before: Where a farmer who had given us permission, passed away (I read it in the obituaries). We continued to hunt there for another decade thereafter, and never heard "boo" from anyone. It was just furroughed fields, at a historic spot, that we'd hunt in fallow season. If, on the odd chance that someone questioned us, I was prepared to cite my permission.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are not going down this road again Tom...

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did the right thing shows Higgy, respect, as 15 years had passed and many things could have changed, however I would have informed and shown her the previous permission from the owner, as she also did not own the property and could lose her job because she has to answer to the owner. The people who said you were wrong and should have just gone ahead IS the reason people are getting more and more strict about allowing strangers access to property. If people showed up on my property detecting and digging my grass they WILL be instantly be prosecuted even though 15 years ago I might have given them permission all kind of changes could have happened. To assume otherwise that is just plain ignorant, disrespectful, and criminal. In your logic, I let you borrow my car 15 years ago one week, so this week you come and take my car for a week when I wasn't looking and it's OK? because I had given you permission before. Bad logic and bad attitude

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did the right thing bud. Better to be respectful. Going somewhere because you think nobody will notice or care isn't exactly a stand up thing to do in my opinion. And continuing to go after you know the property owner has died? Are people really wondering why it's getting harder and harder for us? Not sure when being honest and respectful stopped being the right thing to do. Losing one permission and keeping your integrity is far better than the other way around

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did the right thing bud. Better to be respectful. Going somewhere because you think nobody will notice or care isn't exactly a stand up thing to do in my opinion. And continuing to go after you know the property owner has died? Are people really wondering why it's getting harder and harder for us? Not sure when being honest and respectful stopped being the right thing to do. Losing one permission and keeping your integrity is far better than the other way around

You get it, Abe. Lots of other folks don't, and I mean no disrespect to you, Tom, and others, but things are tight here. Tight tight tight! Families and friends are networked within the boundaries of one town and the next. The grapevine is alive and well here. Certain parts of New Hampshire are interconnected much like the Borg Collective. You'll probably never understand until you live here. My wife had to go to the hairdresser to find out what is the scoop with our next door neighbors who are getting divorced. Things are just different and its hard to describe.

Know what? Its all good. There are thousands of other opportunities for THing right outside my door. Life is for living free, or die trying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread