Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would this be the book titled, "History of the Counties of McKean, Elk, Cameron, Potter, Pennsylvania"? If so, it was published in 1886. I don't know if it mentions the gold in it.

I saw a copy of the same book and I was going to purchase it but it was copyrighted in 1923. Still a long time before 1970. But like you I did not know if the story was in the book or not?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two spots on Bell Draft are camping places. You can go there and camp with your horses for free. BUT everything you take in you have to take out EVEN THE HORSE MANURE !! I have been there many times but not camping just riding my horses. There are MANY marked horse trails there. It is on Thunder Mountain Trails.

Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just came back from the library and after going through the Elk and Cameron County section, I saw no mention of gold in Dents Run. Or any mention of Pinkerton detectives being there. I had the date wrong. It was published 1890, not '86.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It seems you have the only copy of pages 99 and 100? I have had the books of Elk and Cameron County Histories looked at and the pages 99 and 100 are missing. Strange though the book was published in 1890 and no pages are missing according to what is written but the pages are missing 99 and 100. The librarians could not explain this so where did you find copies of pages 99 and 100. I checked at the Elk County Library in St. Mary's and the Sewickley Library, Sewickley said they have had their copy for over 100 years. So how did two important pages go missing yet the text still matches up? There is only one other explanation and that is you must have gotten it from another book or you found the original copy before it was published in 1890. Can you explain please.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The 2 page printed text in Sarge's post aren't photos of the original 1890's text because the typeface is modern It appears a similar font to "Comic Sans" which was invented in the early 1990's. If you look at old books they use a typeface similar to "Times" or "Roman".

If they are from the 1890 or 1923 history book, then they've been reproduced on a word processor or PC.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 page printed text in Sarge's post aren't photos of the original 1890's text because the typeface or font is modern and not yet invented for print. It appears a similar font to "Comic Sans" which was invented in the early 1990's. If you look at old books they use a typeface similar to "Times" or "Roman".

Apparently the missing pages were reproduced on word processor and that's what Sarge has (a hand-typed copy of the 1890's history).

The only trouble is those pages are not in the original 1890 copy. I had two different copies checked plus the newer revision copies and those pages are not in any of the books. Where did he find those two pages if they are not included in the 1890 copies.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The text mentions Route 120 - which according to PAHighways.com and wikipedia , wasn't "named" until 1926.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The text mentions Route 120 - which according to PAHighways.com and wikipedia , wasn't "named" until 1926.

So there was no Dent's Run Gold story before 1926?

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
There is a large collection of county histories in the Carnegie library. Some county's have several. I came across this story in one. I had a interest in the story and copied it for my own use. I do recall being surprised fining it It was in a book on another county. That was over ten years ago. I looked at so many I can't recall which book. It was for my use only so I did not keep track. I had the story. I thought you guys would have a interest. So I shared it. I'm in Arizona and have moved. on. I have other things but after the reception I received on this thread those items will not be shared. I can assure you I did not pull that story out of my ass.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
It seems you have the only copy of pages 99 and 100? I have had the books of Elk and Cameron County Histories looked at and the pages 99 and 100 are missing. Strange though the book was published in 1890 and no pages are missing according to what is written but the pages are missing 99 and 100. The librarians could not explain this so where did you find copies of pages 99 and 100. I checked at the Elk County Library in St. Mary's and the Sewickley Library, Sewickley said they have had their copy for over 100 years. So how did two important pages go missing yet the text still matches up? There is only one other explanation and that is you must have gotten it from another book or you found the original copy before it was published in 1890. Can you explain please.

That's odd Franklin. Were the pages cut out or just not in the book. I suggest a trip to the Carnegie in Pgh. To look through their copies. It's a bit screwed up there. I found a account of Robber Lewiis capture in a separate file from the county history but the heading was Cameron Co History. I made copies of that also.

Last edited:

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
On page 100 the beginning sentence for the last paragraph on the left hand column states, "More than 100 years have passed, and nothing further is known of the lost gold or the men." That makes the story on those pages contemporaneous with that 1970's article someone mentioned a couple pages back. Must have been some modern stuff intermingled with the county histories in that book.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
On page 100 the beginning sentence for the last paragraph on the left hand column states, "More than 100 years have passed, and nothing further is known of the lost gold or the men." That makes the story on those pages contemporaneous with that 1970's article someone mentioned a couple pages back. Must have been some modern stuff intermingled with the county histories in that book.

You have a good point. I found a few differences in that story that helped me in my search.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That county history that sgtfda is referring to was written about 1886, give or take a few years.

No you need to read the story closer at the bottom of the second page left side. It says that "more than one hundred years has passed" This would place this story as after 1963. Still not much older than "Treasure Magazine 1975. I do not believe this gold shipment ever happened. It was made up from a story of the "Buckhannon, W.Va. payroll that went missing in June, 1863.

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
No you need to read the story closer at the bottom of the second page left side. It says that "more than one hundred years has passed" This would place this story as after 1963. Still not much older than "Treasure Magazine 1975. I do not believe this gold shipment ever happened. It was made up from a story of the "Buckhannon, W.Va. payroll that went missing in June, 1863.
You are correct, Franklin. I looked through an online copy of the 1890 book, and there was no mention of the gold bars.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard the story of the Dents Run Gold in the mid 60's for the first time. I remember the kids I was hanging around with at that time and we were young and impressionable. We wanted so badly to go looking for it along with the silver at Gardeau. But, we were too young to drive so we never made it past talking about how to go about finding it. On another note, my father must have irritated Francis X. Scully calling him out on his fabrications. I've got a letter here somewhere, from Scully, replying to my father that his stories are true to fact. I wish I could find that letter. It may have been Scully's story of Dents Run that my dad told to me and my friends.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's odd Franklin. Were the pages cut out or just not in the book. I suggest a trip to the Carnegie in Pgh. To look through their copies. It's a bit screwed up there. I found a account of Robber Lewiis capture in a separate file from the county history but the heading was Cameron Co History. I made copies of that also.

Appreciate your efforts sgtfda, but I contacted the Carnegie Library in Pittsburgh, first. They did not have a copy. The other two libraries had a copy one for over one hundred years but the story was not in them. Your copy came from a summary of stories by an author probably around 1965 or so. It was over 100 years after it was suppose to happen so sometime after 1963. Most likely right after Michael Paul Henson published his story of the Buckhannon, West Virginia Union Payroll robbery of June 1863. I have a copy of that somewhere, I will try to see when it was published in Treasure Magazine.

Last edited:

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
It could have been from a collection of stories titled as a county history. It was in the reference section. I just recall I found it odd that it was in the book where I found it. On my trips to the Library I'd copy hundreds of things at a time. Their map collection is great also.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I did give this item to a few over the years so I will post it

Attachments

• 1521689824182.jpg
    1521689824182.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 1521689865867.jpg
    1521689865867.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 136