dents run treasure

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WE been working with the FBI in the snow for weeks before Dents Run.

The day you posted this link to old news you had already left Dent's Run. I guess you and the FBI want to keep this secret but if you found the gold everyone will know it when you are not begging for a television show. Did you pay the FBI for their time and waste of money to keep them quite? If not the FBI should be letting everyone know exactly what happened because they have wasted taxpayers money.

I have seen the UPDATE: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article205747589.html

NO GOLD FOUND AT DENT'S RUN. You sure have ruined everything for every treasure hunter in the country now. Thanks FINDER'S KEEPERS. You have to find before you can keep.:censored::treasurechest::censored:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The day you posted this link to old news you had already left Dent's Run. I guess you and the FBI want to keep this secret but if you found the gold everyone will know it when you are not begging for a television show. Did you pay the FBI for their time and waste of money to keep them quite? If not the FBI should be letting everyone know exactly what happened because they have wasted taxpayers money.

I have seen the UPDATE: A load of Union gold went missing during the Civil War, legend has it. Did someone just find it? | Charlotte Observer

NO GOLD FOUND AT DENT'S RUN. You sure have ruined everything for every treasure hunter in the country now. Thanks FINDER'S KEEPERS. You have to find before you can keep.:censored::treasurechest::censored:

Franklin, you are a voice of fresh air and common sense. Thanx for the link.

I bet that this doesn't dissuade the "finderskeepers" guys. They will figure it's deeper. Or a little to the left. Or a little to the right. Or that the govt. took it while they weren't looking, etc.... At no point is the legend not iron-clad true. And never does a more probable explanation of the claims in the story exist.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well they will have some more dig photos to upload to their web page.
I’m surprised nobody has published the court records leading up to this.
Maybe it was some sort of arbitration?

I suspect there may be some FOIA request submitted soon, so as to keep this story in the media (as if they have anything against running the same exact story over and over).

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin, you are a voice of fresh air and common sense. Thanx for the link.

I bet that this doesn't dissuade the "finderskeepers" guys. They will figure it's deeper. Or a little to the left. Or a little to the right. Or that the govt. took it while they weren't looking, etc.... At no point is the legend not iron-clad true. And never does a more probable explanation of the claims in the story exist.

There is no documentation to verify this treasure story. It came out in treasure magazine about 1975 and before that there was nothing. There is nothing in the OR and there is nothing at the US Library of Congress in the Pinkerton Files. It is all he said she said. There is nothing even in the local newspapers of any payroll, soldiers killed, bodies found, mules found, mules killed, There is absolutely nothing until 1975.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
See

Attachments

• 1521515403788.jpg
    1521515403788.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 265
  • 1521515422237.jpg
    1521515422237.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 175

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

According to your post # 285: The "county history" ? When I saw your post, I thought there would be some history forthcoming. But .... it seems like the same legend type stuff of the 1970's treasure-lore genre . A lot of the "... It has been said that...." and fill-in-the-blank type stuff.

What is the source of those assertions of the story ? What book is this ? Read again closely and ask yourself "says who?"

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Tom I would like a answer to that question also. Where did that story originate. It was well before the others. All the counties in Pa had a large county history published. 4 to 10" thick. They are the official history of each county. The Carnegie Library in Pgh has a copy of each in their reference section. Some of the books are so old they are falling apart. So if it's in the county history someone thought it was part of their history and important enough to include it. I admit I was surprised to find the story included. I would browse through the histories looking for leads. Find something of interest I'd make a copy and move on. Needless to say I found a ton of info. Rather than concentrate on treasure books or mags I found the histories more accurate.
I'm no longer in Pa so I'm passing some stuff I copied on.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't recall. The Elk or Cameron co history.

We have county history around here and most of it is dated 2015. So sure if they saw a story posted by Francis Sculley they would presume the story to be correct and add it into their county history to attract tourism and the money tourist can spend. What is the copyright date on that history book is it before 1975?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Some of the books are so old they are falling apart. So if it's in the county history someone thought it was part of their history and important enough to include it.....

sgtfda: And your pages in post # 286 are from nothing of the sort. They are not from history or period-contemporary sources. The whole tone is of the "once upon a time" type writing style. It's from much later .

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
The weekend before last I was searching this area
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521562152.113010.jpg
The next day my right knee started clicking and hurt like hell. I've been resting it up. This thread caught my attention. Though I'd post some things that could help those still searching. My knee is feeling better and I'm off again. Upon reflection I prefer the trolls on the Lost Dutchman thread. Though I did make a few new friends on this thread.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Beautiful pix

.... the trolls ...

The choice is yours: A) Answer the contrary view (which was to question the origin & dates of this legend) or B) Name call . (Which does nothing to lend to the logical pro/con discussion.)

Mar 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It says that Conners and the two men were going to head Southeast toward Sinnemahoning. Wouldn't they be heading Southeast toward Driftwood, their destination? How would they take a wrong turn if they were in all likelihood following a river trail? Also makes no sense why they would would split up at this point, or why they wouldn't have just taken 120 (then the Bucktail Path) to Emporium, then finally down the Driftwood Branch (a fork of the Sinnemahoning Path) to Driftwood.

"Hey Guys, I know we are on the last leg of our journey, but since Castleton is sick, why don't we go off the beaten path and instead venture into the wilderness? These wagons have 4WD, right?

Mar 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay Clayton, You talked about a turtle carving in a rock , did you ever find it.
6 times

[h=2]Re: dents run treasure[/h]
Dennis, When you mentioned possible Spanish Treasure it set of a bell in my mind. I have a very old news article about a Turtle Carving in rock not to far away from Dent's Run. I haven't gone to the site yet. I often wondered if it could be Spanish or Native Indians. There were Indian tribes in that area, but I also think that the Spanish came exploring up the river.
Interesting, Clayton​

I've seen this

Mar 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, it is just some really cool rock graffiti. I know the property owners and they said that it wasn't there when they purchased the property.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It says that Conners and the two men were going to head Southeast toward Sinnemahoning. Wouldn't they be heading Southeast toward Driftwood, their destination? How would they take a wrong turn if they were in all likelihood following a river trail? Also makes no sense why they would would split up at this point, or why they wouldn't have just taken 120 (then the Bucktail Path) to Emporium, then finally down the Driftwood Branch (a fork of the Sinnemahoning Path) to Driftwood.

"Hey Guys, I know we are on the last leg of our journey, but since Castleton is sick, why don't we go off the beaten path and instead venture into the wilderness? These wagons have 4WD, right?

I would also like to know if they split up and divided the gold, how on Earth did they cut the gold bars in half for the Pinkertons to find two and one half bars of the missing gold?

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
sgtfda: And your pages in post # 286 are from nothing of the sort. They are not from history or period-contemporary sources. The whole tone is of the "once upon a time" type writing style. It's from much later .

That county history that sgtfda is referring to was written about 1886, give or take a few years.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know this? Where is the copyright page?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread