Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty said:
Whatever it takes or whatever brand does the job for me I am going with it. Sooner or later when $$$ aren't so short I will try some of the other top of the line machines and when I do and if I like the results I will say so. I have to admit that some of the fault with my 2500 isn't the machine but it is me. Others report very good success with it and I have had some success with it also. I just don't get out as much as I would like to learn even more about operating it. Monty

I'll share a secret I only let out once a year at Christmas time. Spend time finding new fresh hunting sites instead of constantly beating the same old sites.

All this prose in regard to mega deep seeking target separation machines is irrelevant if one finds hot virgin territory to hunt. Heck, use a 250, a Silver, a BH, etc., and one will murder the loot.

As you know, Monty, for the most part we're chasing our own tails. ;)

Can't wait to hunt that site I've hunted 1,376 times before. I mean heck! 27 times ago I dug a wheat cent at that site! ;D

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any detector regardless of the brand or price range will have a problem with demolition sites. There is a lot of rebar in concrete and the detector won't really false but it will lite up on any old rusty rebar. Also, older demo sites will have a lot of cast iron sewer pipes that may be broken up by the dozers and scattered all over the site. They will also lite up a detector, any detector. And I haven't even mentioned all the acculmulated trash, junque and crappe' that accumulates on a residential site. I am really surprised you didn't mention rusty nails as they are a pain in the arse at demo sites too. But, stick with it and you probably will have some good finds in that mess. I am lined up to check out a site where 6 houses were taken out and I have permission from the new owner to hunt it. What I like to do is grid it off into small areas and hit it with the ACE to remove all the shallow trash before I really get down to serious hunting. I then start over the same grid looking for deeper targets that are more apt to be good targets. I still dig a lot of junk but last time I worked a small gridded area I found a silver dime that I missed before because of all the trash. Monty

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Monty

Thanks for the advice. I figure that I will try a sniper, if that fails I will get a tesoro. I say this because another poster here who has much more experience then I, tells me there are other machines that CAN notch out that rebar and trash. ....The stuff that the Ace will pick up even if you notch it out.

Actually I would like to see a Tesoro and Ace tested both at a demolished site just to see who gets less false signals!!

Maybe I will do the test on video and post the results!!!!

Larry

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro is a fine machine so if that's what you want to do , do it. You are talking about their $200 machine aren't you? That would be the only fair comparison. Oh, someone told me they don't they have a $200 machine? You will find a lot more info over in the Tesoro forum than here. M ::) nty

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Larsmed said:
Monty

Maybe I will do the test on video and post the results!!!!

Larry

Ya, do the test. YouTube really needs some new material in the detector field.

The very best way to judge any detector(s) is to test it yourself. All posted comments are subject to personal perspective (subjectivity).

All serious THers should construct a coin garden to cover just about any possible hunting situation in their state. Once one has that one doesn't need anybody to tell one this or that is deeper or better with iron.

I like to mess around on here but I already know the answers that are most important to me before I actually take any machine to a hard-earned hunting site.

Coin gardens (and other test sites) don't lie.

HH,

Badger

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read all the posts about the ACE 250, how it won't go deep, how it will go deep, how it won't work hunting a site with re barb in concreate, heck no detector will hunt a site like that.

I myself have several detectors. I have a Whites XLT, a Minlab Sovereign, a Tesoro Tiger Shark, a DepthPro Headhunter and a Fisher 1235 and the ACE 250. I have a SunRay Probe on 3 of the detectors. I mostly use the ACE 250 now, because it's so much lighter than the other detectors. Having swung a detector for over 25 years now, I've dug more junk than probably anyone or as much anyway.

I like the ACE 250, I've dug coins at 10 inches. But the soil was right, it was wet and it was good top soil that had never been hunted. My partner on the same day that I dug my coin at 10 inches also dug one at the same depth. He also uses a ACE 250. I am not saying I dig coins at the depth everyday, but I have dug a coin or two at that depth.

What my partner and I have found, is that we like to hunt in all metal a lot. We dig every signal that hits in the right side of the meter. We dig almost everything, especially if we are hunting a site that has little trash.
I know, at first I just dug in the coin or jewelry modes and dug what sounded good. Then one day, I was ex-permitting using other modes. I started using the all metal mode, coins will still sound off good like in the coin mode or jewelry modes. But the iffy signals, I and my partner dig them all. Try it, you might like it.

I still use the other detectors, but my choice of detectors is the ACE 250. Having found over 4000 coins clad coins last year and finding well over 100 IH's, several hundred wheaties and countless silver coins, watch fobs and tokens, I myself will stick with the ACE 250. I might add also that most of the targets were found at around 2, 4, 6 and 8 inches. I guess with that kind of return, who has to go deeper.

For those that are having a hard time with noise, turn down your sensitivity. I usually run around 4 or 5 notches. Higher if I can get away with it. Also slow down, your not out there cutting crass with a weed whacker. Also use a High Quality Headphone. One that you can adjust the sound for each ear. A hundred dollar headset is not out of the question. Your local dealer has a good selection.

I also hope your using some sort of probe. With the soil so darn dry up here in Ohio this year, I dug for targets, I could see them in the hole, but the coil would not pick them up, using a probe was the answer. I use a SunRay Probe. Yes it will sound off all around the probe. You must go slowly in the hole, check the sides and then move down. It is a handy tool.

Best of Luck to everyone. The ACE 250 is a fine detector, you just have to learn your detector, just like you would have to learn an expensive detector.

HH,Ringinder

R

robert roy

The deepness depends on the soil and the size coil being used. Many posts forget to indicate what coil they were useing. I have never gotten a reading useing the standard coil, past six inches. Again the soil and the coil. I Also have a 9x12 I just bought but have not had a chance to get out there with it. SHould get eight to nine inches or more depending on conditions.

Now my MXT is another mater. I have picked up targets with the 5.5 coil at 6,7,and 8 but its all relative to conditions. I don't use the standard 950 much so I can't say anything about depth. WHat I can say is that depth is never consistent. I think we have to get used to speaking in terms of averages. Some detectors average better than others depending on soil, the operating frequency of the coil/and how well it is made, and the electronics in the control box.

Robert R

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
LADIES AND GENTLEMAN. THE MAN MR. GARRETT IN HIS BOOKS HE SAY'S.

OUTSIDE ELECTROMAGNETIC INTERFERENCE AND IRREGULAR GROUND MINERALIZATION MAY SOMETIMES REQUIRE THAT YOU SEARCH AT REDUCED SENSITIVITY.
DON'T WORRY ABOUT LOSING ''DEEP TARGETS'' YOU WON'T EVER BE LOSING ANYTHING BECAUSE YOU'LL ALWAYS BE ABLE TO SEARCH AS DEEPLY AS GROUND AND ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS PERMIT.
ATTEMPTING TO OPERATE AT GAINS ABOVE A LEVEL THAT PERMITS A QUIET AND STABLE OPERATION MAY ACTUALLY CAUSE YOU TO MISS DEEP TARGETS THAT YOU WOULD HAVE FOUND HAD YOU NOT ''PUSHED'' THE DECTECTOR.

I HAVE USED GARRETT'S , SINCE THE SIXITY'S. JUST MY THOUGHTS . BEST LUCK TO ALL IN M/D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread