Depth for pinpoint mode?

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a custom program and was testing to make sure the ID Norm was turned off and to also do an air test on some coins versus the "Deep" program. One thing I noticed when I went into pinpoint mode, the depth it would pick up the coins was nowhere near what I would expect. Granted I don't know what it was before the upgrade since that is something I never checked. While using the Deep program, the pinpoint depth seemed to be a little better.

Any thoughts on what might be going on? Will the pinpoint depth vary based on program settings?

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know there's more then one pinpoint setting? Did you try pushing the pinpoint button again?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use pinpoint mode all that much because gold field gives me the same audio info plus displays target ID, so if I really need to go to a pinpoint mode (i.e., using Gold Field) vice just eyeballing off the coil itself in whatever program I am using at the time, I know it is already able to pinpoint plenty deep.

Besides, getting an accurate pinpoint on a deep target is IMO not going to be very accurate anyway, so I am going to tend to open up a bigger plug on a deep target (if the site allows), for one practical reason, because it's just a lot easier to dig a deeper hole with a wider diameter hole so the pinpointing doesn't and won't necessarily be that accurate or matter that much. I will just dig based on the strongest signal in the "native" search program using coil references.

But in theory, yes, pinpoint mode is typically associated with a non-discrimination, all metal mode and is generally considered to be at least as deep as the program you are switching from since you are using the same frequency (I need to verify this). Or put another way, I would expect that if you are hearing a solid target on a program, you should also be able to pinpoint on that target as well, it just won't zero in (i.e, close the displayed box down on the crosshairs, significantly increase audio volume and pitch) as much on deep or weak signaled targets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't confirm which PP mode I was in. I'll have to check that tomorrow, but I would hope it's in the standard PP mode on the first press of the button and I don't have to scroll through to get to the mode I want.

In my air test, the program I was using sure seemed to pick up deeper than the pp mode. I thought that seemed really odd so that's why I asked.

I'll see how it goes in the field tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't confirm which PP mode I was in. I'll have to check that tomorrow, but I would hope it's in the standard PP mode on the first press of the button and I don't have to scroll through to get to the mode I want.

In my air test, the program I was using sure seemed to pick up deeper than the pp mode. I thought that seemed really odd so that's why I asked.

I'll see how it goes in the field tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah that seems strange, though air tests are tricky. I really have to check to see if it is the same frequency as whatever program you are using. Did you notice a difference before and after 4.0 and it might be helpful to know the key parameters of the custom programs you were using for comparison (i.e., disc, sens, frequency, reactivity, notch if any, and how you ground balanced the machine before the test). Let us know how it does under real world conditions in the field.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah that seems strange, though air tests are tricky. I really have to check to see if it is the same frequency as whatever program you are using. Did you notice a difference before and after 4.0 and it might be helpful to know the key parameters of the custom programs you were using for comparison (i.e., disc, sens, frequency, reactivity, notch if any, and how you ground balanced the machine before the test). Let us know how it does under real world conditions in the field.

I never really did any air test with the PP mode before I switched to 4.0. It was really by accident that I found the depth differences between regular mode and PP mode when I was testing the custom program against the Deep program. The GB was manually set to 90 which is what I normally start with and adjust from there.

The program I was in is the one I use for coins.

DISC 6.0
Full Tones

SENS 97
TX Power 2

FREQ 12 (11.7)

IRON VOLUME 0

REACTIVITY 2
SILENCER 2

AUDIO RESP 3
AUDIO OVERLOAD 1

NOTCH 00 – 45
97 – 99

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot find any reference to the operating frequency of the pinpoint mode. One thing to watch out for is that if you accidentally hit the pinpoint button repeatedly, you reduce the sensitivity (very similar to a handheld pinpointer like the Garrett Carrot). Also, it ground balances on the nearest EM field as neutral as soon as it is selected so if it ground balanced off a nearby metal object, then its sensitivity would be significantly reduced similar to hitting the pinpoint button while the coil is in the proximity of the target EM field (which is a technique for zeroing in on a shallow or big target with a booming signal). Esp since you have some discrimination cut in and frequency is at 12 khz, I am surprised that side-by-side pinpoint mode does not test as well as your coin program in air. Thanks for providing the program info.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out today for a little while before I got rained out. Scored a silver Rosie and the tiniest piece of silver I have ever found.

As for the issue with the pinpointing depth, it must have just been a fluke with the air testing I was doing. I had several deep signals and the pinpointing mode had no trouble picking them up.

There doesn't seem to be an issue but if for some reason I run across this problem again I'll update this thread.

Thanks to those who took the time to respond.

Edited to add: I just remembered this so I thought I would add it. I noticed on a couple of iffy targets the pinpoint mode seemed really scratchy. And those targets did turn out to be trash. I don't remember it ever doing that in 3.2. I'll keep an eye out to see if it something that would help ID trash.

Last edited:

timmysys

Nov 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites Surf Dual Field, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus2
Good information, thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread