depth question

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
How do you guys and gals come up with the depth of the objects (coins)? Let me tell you what I mean. When I detect and i get a signal, I will pinpoint and the detector pinpoints and the depth indicator lights up the 2" bar, which I understand is anywhere from 2-4 inches deep. Now I dig the object and lets say a penny is finally dug up. Well most times in this instance I have dug a hole that is about 6 inches deep. Possibly I did not pinpoint correctly and the coin was actually in the side wall of the hole and as I expanded the diameter of the hole I could have gotten it out. Can I really rely on the depth indicator on the detector (ACE 250) and dig the depth that is registering and if it is still in the hole, make the hole wider....or do i do what I am doing now which is deeper and wider?
Also when some posts have that 'the merc was found at 6 inches' how do you determine that depth? Is it what the detector told you it was or did you measure the hole? Like I said above, my detector tells me the object is about 2-4 inches deep but I have dug a 6" plus hole. Most times I won't find the coin until I have dug it up and put it in the dirt pile I have on a cloth.
Possibly I am just asking a stupid question and should not really care about how deep the object is and just focus on getting it out of the hole, but I would rather not dig moon craters or gopher holes if I can help it.

Thanks,

Funkman

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a stupid Question.

Get a Pinpointer ;)

When I detect a Target, I glance at me Meter.
when the # stops jumping up & Down, I know I'm about Spot on.

I Then set my detector down Grabbing my Probe.

I take a 2" Scoop of dirt out the hole & stick my Probe in.
If it's in the Dirt, I say '2" Tops"

If it's still in the Hole I take another 2" if it's still there I say 4" tops Etc.

Altho I rarely Care. unless I'm at least at my Fourth Scoop.

My Pinpointer Keeps My Thoughts Honest on Depth.

By the way, I Never Look at Depth guages.

and My Sovereign Dosn't have one.

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
thanks jeff.

I think I really need to fiund someone in my area that can I can show how I detect and then they can give me pointers or tips on what I am doing wrong or right. Also they could help me with some of those iffy targets on whether it is worth digging or not, even though I should dig up everything so I get rid of the trash targets.

Funkman

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say that if someone is going to make a statement concerning the depth of a find then they should measure it properly. This can be done with anything; your digger (if it has measurements on it or you know how long it is), a probe, a ruler or even your hand and arm. If the find is in the dirt pile then you really can't say. Personally, I never really pay attention to depth, unless it's really deep.

I used to use my dropcloth a lot. As I've gotten better at pinpointing and using my DX-1 I find that I can find the target much easier and faster and I only use a dropcloth about 10% of the time.

The detector's depth meter is only for coin sized objects and should never be taken at face value.

Here's what I do to try to minimize digging and accurately locate the target (sometimes I don't do all these things):
1 - Pinpoint the target with my detector and get a depth.
2 - If the target is within reach of my pinpointer's field I use it to pinpoint more accurately.
3 - See if I can feel the target with a probe.
4 - Use a coin popper or knife to get the target if possible.
5 - Cut a plug if I can't find the target (at least 2" deep, 2" wide, 4" long three-sided flap...in general...sometimes bigger if necessary).
6 - Use a dropcloth to remove the dirt if necessary.

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
thanks for the reply TBGO. I still have to get myself a handheld pinpointer and I am sure that will make my detecting life MUCH EASIER!! Also I think I will start to carry a small notebook to make notes on what was found, how deep the hole was, what the detector symbols were, was it an iffy signal, stuff like that. Good idea or just a crazy person getting too serious about this.

Funkman

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
funkman said:
thanks for the reply TBGO. I still have to get myself a handheld pinpointer and I am sure that will make my detecting life MUCH EASIER!! Also I think I will start to carry a small notebook to make notes on what was found, how deep the hole was, what the detector symbols were, was it an iffy signal, stuff like that. Good idea or just a crazy person getting too serious about this.

Funkman

Not a bad idea...I though about doing that but I don't have the patience. Experience is the best teacher...practice, practice, practice. A test garden is a good thing. Also, read detecting books written by pros...they can help a lot.

HH!
TBGO

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Years ago when I was using my 1220X and 1265X I could listen to the intensity of the beep and know approximately how deep the object was and I got pretty good at it. Now I am having to learn what my new detector is telling me before doing any guessing on depth but the meter is pretty good and it gets the depth spot on most of the time.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking about logging your finds as you were hunting...a small voice recorder might come in handy for that. Just record your observations and add them to a notebook or computer file when you get home. Instead of fumbling with paper and pen you could record the data one-handed. Plus, it would be faster than writing.

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
great idea. Will have to get me one of those recorders at Radio Shack or Walmart.

Funkman

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
The Beep Goes On said:
I was thinking about logging your finds as you were hunting...a small voice recorder might come in handy for that. Just record your observations and add them to a notebook or computer file when you get home. Instead of fumbling with paper and pen you could record the data one-handed. Plus, it would be faster than writing.

HH!
TBGO
I'm with Funkman, that's a great idea and easier than trying to write things down while hunting.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
For precise depth I do pretty much what Jeff wrote except I don't use a pinpointer. If I care what the depth is (usually I don't), I'll dig a wide hole and with my digging tool (or fingers) I'll carefully remove thin layers of soil until the coin appears. Then I can measure the depth with my digger blade.

Since I hunt mostly old abandoned sites, most finds are very shallow.

The real key to all this is to rightly pinpoint the target with your detector in the first place. Like you mentioned in you post at the beginning of this thread, poor pinpointing is a major problem.

Some detectors are poor pinpointers. I had one machine that was finding wheats at 6 to 9 inches at an old church I hunt sometimes. This year using my Tesoro I'm still finding the same age wheats except now they're running 2 to 5 inches deep.

See, without realizing it some people get false depths by widening their holes as they dig. Also, by digging deeper than the find and lifting the soil by prying down on the trowel handle, a coin can fall deeper.

However, due to filling at some locations finds can sometimes be very deep. At most of these I've found it almost useless to hunt them due to damage to the turf or inability of VLF machines to reach the potential finds through all the above layers of trash.

But probably 90% of the depth claims are just pure exaggerations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread