Whites Prizm V or Garrett 1350?

dishinet

Jun 18, 2006
Mississippi
Upvote 0

Eric in WV

May 5, 2006
Renick, WV
I can only speak for the 1350 as I've not used a Prizm V.

The 1350 seems to do very well in my part of the country. I've found coins down around 8 to 10 inches with the stock 7 X 10 coil. It pinpoints very well and the sizing function is dead on most of the time.

There are a couple of tips you should follow though:

1. The manual says to wrap the cable up the stem. I found some tips on another site that said to take it straight up the lower stem and tape it down. This was to improve depth and I don't know if it was just coincedence or not but I did this and started finding the deeper coins.

2. The manual says to run it at 75% or number 9 on the sensitivity scale. The tips on the other site says to run it as high as the detector can take without being unstable.

I did these things and it made a difference in the depth of my finds.

I like it a lot and it should do me for a long time. There are several bells and whistles for the money over other makes and that's what attracked me. It's a good machine IMO but I've use only one other.

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
The new Whites M6 can be had for a little under $600

Attachments

• Whites M6.jpg
    Whites M6.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 235
  • Whites M6.jpg
    Whites M6.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 188

KinjoVT

Jun 7, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Prizim IV, BHID, GTAX 400, GTA 350, and a few others
Been MDing for about a year and a half with the Prizm. First I will tell you what I have experienced (pro's), although I am still new at detecting. It is light and I can detect all day with it, I can see its LCD display with sunglasses on, I like the tone ID, Pinpoints very accurately, also its target ID is very accurate, the depth readout is pretty accurate, it is very easy to learn (and I can tell you some of its behavior on certain targets, if you purchase one), and it has good battery life.
Bad...well it runs very silent (good in someways) there is no threshold hum as I have found in my beachunter ID. There is no way to hear what others refer to as faint signals. I think this may be why I have never dug a coin deeper than 3-4 inches. I have not dug an old silver coin yet, and I have detected 150 year old farm house and a 144 year old Victorian (exclusive permission on the vic), and numerous parks. I think the notch disc is a waste of space, I do run the disc to take out iron though, that is maybe why I am lacking depth?
Overall I think it is a great starter, and I can go out and really pull out the clads in a park. I have been able to find 14 rings with it so far. No real expensive ones, just sterling and one white gold class ring (which was my first ring ever :)) The price is very reasonable too, and if you check ebay you maybe able to find a nib one for less.
I have not tried the Garrett although they are a good name and two friends of mine use the Ace series and love them.

emesis

Mar 12, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a prism V and I have great success with it. Coins found at 8" and it is very light. 2 nine volt batteries last up to 20 hours. Since it is the only machine I've owned I can't give a comparison with the garret. Hope that helps. PFP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions