Dere Street (Return Part Two!!!Gold)...Back From The Jeweler!!! Updated Pic!!!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all...

I am not going to bore you with a long story, if you have been following my recent posts you know were I have been detecting and the finds that have come from this area :o

I started the evening recovering my digging spade that I left here Sunday, it was lying right were I had left it :laughing9: managed a couple of Medieval spindle whorls and a few bits of lead, then another Medieval hammered coin of Elizabeth1 (1558-1603) half groat.

Later on in the evening I moved further down the road to a area that has produced Roman coins, again I had a further four bronze coins but the going was hard.

The area was becoming shorter by the minute so I moved to the slopes of the spoil heaps and this is were I found my best find, a nice crisp signal and I was flipping over the sandy soil, at first I couldn't see what had given the signal, then I glanced a glint of yellow in a small piece of soil, I picked it up and right in-front of me was a small Gold Ring :headbang: the colour gave it away as old, a deep buttery yellow Gold.

The ring is very small (13mm) and obviously made for a child, I am 99% certain that this ring is Roman :read2: and was probably made specially for the wearer.

This ring unfortunately falls under the treasure act and I will have to declare it :'( any way have a look at the pictures if there are any questions I will try and answer :thumbsup:SS...Updated... It's now two weeks since I found the ring, and I have just had the ID back by the UK Finds Data Base here's what it says, A Roman Gold finger ring 1st-4th Century, the shank has a broad,flat cross-section that tapers from the front to back. At the front there is an oval bezel made from reposse worked sheet-metal; it depicts a full-faced portraite in releif, surrounded by a raised border. The depiction is unknown, though the subject is almost certainly classical :headbang: :headbang:

Attachments

• gr1.jpg
    gr1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 4,407
  • gr2.jpg
    gr2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 4,445
  • RR.jpg
    RR.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 4,384
  • RR1.jpg
    RR1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 4,392
  • Site.jpg
    Site.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 4,422
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 4,357
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 4,359
  • ring3.jpg
    ring3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 4,333
Upvote 2

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dere Street (Return Part Two!!!Gold)

Looking at the counterfiet again, it has so much charm. The SC in the 'field' by the single figure is a poor copy, they put the 'S' on its side, really cool find in my books :headbang:

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow that's awsome!

M

michigan michael

:icon_thumright: Very Very Cool! :icon_thumleft:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Oh Man! Fantastic Finds! Congrats! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

That ancient Gold ring has gotta be a BANNER Find!

HH Joe

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful ring! How does the government determine which items you can keep and which you have to surrender? Is it based on rarity,value etc.....? I think you folks over there are really fortunate to be able to find items with such age and history.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
The coin pictured is a very nice conditioned counterfeit :icon_thumright:

The ring is a gem, your probably right with the child theory although they had smaller fingers & they never wore the ring over the knuckle, it sat between the knuckle & the last joint :icon_thumright:

I bet the BM will keep this one, I can tell 8)
Which Coin :icon_scratch: don't think so :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Detectingfreak said:
I would say that the gold ring is really old and should definatly go on the banner! What age is the gold ring?
Hi....I think the ring dates from the Roman times, but I'm not 100%, waiting for the full sp on this one :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Looking at the counterfiet again, it has so much charm. The SC in the 'field' by the single figure is a poor copy, they put the 'S' on its side, really cool find in my books :headbang:
I take it you mean couterfiet in antiquity :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

muttandjeeps said:
Beautiful ring! How does the government determine which items you can keep and which you have to surrender? Is it based on rarity,value etc.....? I think you folks over there are really fortunate to be able to find items with such age and history.
Hi... :hello: any artifact made of prescius metal (Gold, Silver) and over 300years old, two or more coins of the same :thumbsup:

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds SS! Very cool ring.
The way things are going now, I am ashamed to say that the USSA may have a treasure act of some sorts before long.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
I would take the 'Treasure Act' with its' faults over no detecting at all. The ring is awesome. The face is from a different age.
Thanks plehbah....but the act does have it's faults, the waiting time for one, meagre payouts another (grossly undervalued) this just puts
the majority of detectorists of, declaring finds :'(

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gunny71 said:
Nice finds SS! Very cool ring.
The way things are going now, I am ashamed to say that the USSA may have a treasure act of some sorts before long.
:'( :'(

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Silver Searcher said:
plehbah said:
I would take the 'Treasure Act' with its' faults over no detecting at all. The ring is awesome. The face is from a different age.
Thanks plehbah....but the act does have it's faults, the waiting time for one, meagre payouts another (grossly undervalued) this just puts
I'm not planning on reporting anyone, we gotta stick together here! but what are the penalties for not declaring a find? Fines, jail-time, seizure of finds?

I remember that beautiful stirrup ring, it's a shame you haven't seen it since! What's used to determine the value of an object? Is it all the red tape that slow the process so much?

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

af1733 said:
Silver Searcher said:
plehbah said:
I'm not planning on reporting anyone, we gotta stick together here! but what are the penalties for not declaring a find? Fines, jail-time, seizure of finds?

I remember that beautiful stirrup ring, it's a shame you haven't seen it since! What's used to determine the value of an object? Is it all the red tape that slow the process so much?
The main problem is funding, also there are only a handfull of flo officers that handle all treasure claims in the UK, when a Museum wants to purchase a find they have to find the funds, this is why the delays can take time.

Rewards for finds seem to me to be getting less and less because the Museums simply can't find the money, so why should the finders loose out when there is willing buyers in the market , it's a problem for me that will get worse over time, with the flo officers losing funding which will delay the reports longer :'( I think at the moment you can appeal up to three times if you think the valuation is not enough (more time) :dontknow:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations on all your finds. That ring has got some mo-jo to it for sure. Looks like a little dude with a helmet on or something. A very nice Banner. I say keep treasure hunting and take all the pictures of your road off of all your post and just show us insitu pictures and that way maybe you can hunt it for many years and keep showing us your cool finds. I think it was predicted that road would give up a banner find for you and it did. Congratulations Sir.
TnMountains

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TnMountains said:
Congratulations on all your finds. That ring has got some mo-jo to it for sure. Looks like a little dude with a helmet on or something. A very nice Banner. I say keep treasure hunting and take all the pictures of your road off of all your post and just show us insitu pictures and that way maybe you can hunt it for many years and keep showing us your cool finds. I think it was predicted that road would give up a banner find for you and it did. Congratulations Sir.
TnMountains
Thanks :thumbsup: but this project could throw up some spectacular finds over time :o it's a unbelievable opportunity which I must exploit :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
TnMountains said:
TnMountains
Thanks :thumbsup: but this project could throw up some spectacular finds over time :o it's a unbelievable opportunity which I must exploit :thumbsup:
I agree with you 100%. Just hate to hear that in a months time there are 200 guys with metal detectors out there with you. Congratulations again I just read your other post. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread