Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all...

had a few hours on the Roman road known as Deer Street, this is the main Roman route North to the Roman town of Carlisle.

The road is being turned into a three lane motorway and it is a :hello2: perfect oppertunity for detecting ancient sites as the fields bordering

the old road have been given a compulsery purchase order on them, permission was gained and i had a threee hour hunt that was quite productive.

First good find a battered tealby penny from the reign of Hennry11 1154-1159 (this is the third I have had)

I managed another hammered from the narrow strip , Elizabeth11 half Groat 1558-1603 (in poor condition)

Over the comming weeks I should be able to get a few more hunts in and I'm sure a few goodies should come out.

While I was detecting a couple of detectorists came over and we got chating, one had just come back from Milto keys were he had found a

beutifull quarter Gold Stater, I took some pictures for you guys to view.

Attachments

• a3a.jpg
    a3a.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,092
  • a4a.jpg
    a4a.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,054
  • aa2.jpg
    aa2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,060
  • aa3.jpg
    aa3.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,100
  • aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,052
  • aaaa.jpg
    aaaa.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,056
  • aaa22.jpg
    aaa22.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,042
  • aa22.jpg
    aa22.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,043
Upvote 0

Bikernico

Jun 10, 2009
Apeldoorn
Re: Deer Street (Return)

I searcht in gb for 4 times now, 1 time on a hollyday, 2 times a detector rally in Deal and 1 time in Wantage ( the one in last september with lots lots of rain)
Still didn't find my first roman yet.
Also are on a gb site/forum. http://www.detectorist.co.uk. ( not a lot off dutchies there)

Were do you "hunt "mostly ? ( West friesland ?)

gr Nico

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bikernico said:
I searcht in gb for 4 times now, 1 time on a hollyday, 2 times a detector rally in Deal and 1 time in Wantage ( the one in last september with lots lots of rain)
Still didn't find my first roman yet.
Also are on a gb site/forum. http://www.detectorist.co.uk. ( not a lot off dutchies there)
Were do you "hunt "mostly ? ( West friesland ?)
gr Nico
We 4 have searched in England now for about 12 years (every year 2-3 weeks), and several of us have gone more than that in the end of the winter. For the most part we search West Friesland, and sometimes to Friesland, but have been seen over all in Holland. Myself I search mainly building sites in the center of old towns, but those are hard to get permission to search anymore. And also in Poland, Germany sometimes, Serbia, and since I will be in the US this fall, then I will finally search in the USA. Will check the site out. Funny that you didn't find your first roman yet, but that was the way it was with us, on our 3rd trip we finally found Romans (or I must say I did, staying an extra week, the rest had to work). Now we find plenty of them...

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IronSpike said:
That first pic looks like a dream set up for metal detecting. Also looks like you're getting some further detecting depth this way :icon_thumright:

Those old coins are so cool and I'm sure every one of them still is a thrill to find (eventhough you've found many).

I sense Banner finds coming from this hunting site :icon_sunny:
Could be right IS :laughing7: this place could produce anything from any time :hello2:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kirk PA said:
You guys have it great on that side! I wish I could have just one day in those fields.

The coins aren't too shabby as well. :icon_thumleft: :wink:You are due for a Roman silver!

Kirk
Hi Kirk :hello: my detecting buddy has already had one :headbang:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bikernico said:
Very Nice finds :hello2:

detector greetings from holland
Nico
Hello Nico :hello:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOODY50 said:
Wow, a perfect place to search. Just keep on the good side of the guys working on the road, and keep out of their way. Taking a sack full of cookies to them on their tea/coffee break will improve the relation very much, take that from someone who knows...! You should be finding a lot of good stuff there for sure!
Hi Woody :hello2: I'm off there tonight :headbang: :headbang:

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher,
Looks like you have a good spot to hunt at and I hope you find more. Looks like the construction might bring more of those coins closer to the surface for you. Hope deep were you finding most of your finds?

Nice coins and I would not even know what the gold coin was without research, no doubt though it is gold.

WTG

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOODY50 said:
Wow, a perfect place to search. Just keep on the good side of the guys working on the road, and keep out of their way. Taking a sack full of cookies to them on their tea/coffee break will improve the relation very much, take that from someone who knows...! You should be finding a lot of good stuff there for sure!

Out here in Denver, the going rate for bribery is usually a 12 pack of Bud Lite. I have to come out there. Keep us posted,
Carl

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

curbdiggercarl57 said:
WOODY50 said:
Out here in Denver, the going rate for bribery is usually a 12 pack of Bud Lite. I have to come out there. Keep us posted,
Carl
Yea I know about Denver and the Bud, my sister lived there for many many years (Edgewater) and her children still do. But here in Europe cookies usually do the trick... 8)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
WOODY50 said:
Hmm... I guess this is a part of the UK English language, 'off there tonight'...
Are you meaning I can nighthawk tonight then instead of the weekend?? :tard:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:
WOODY50 said:
Hmm... I guess this is a part of the UK English language, 'off there tonight'...

i think he mean't he's going this evening (after work) before it gets dark!

which is what i would be doing every day if this site was local to me :thumbsup:

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:
WOODY50 said:
which is what i would be doing every day if this site was local to me :thumbsup:
Yes I agree with you, I would search even after dark (its a road building project and not a field)...

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOODY50 said:
curbdiggercarl57 said:
WOODY50 said:
Carl
Yea I know about Denver and the Bud, my sister lived there for many many years (Edgewater) and her children still do. But here in Europe cookies usually do the trick... 8)

I think MD Dog uses candy.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:
WOODY50 said:

You're still going to work? two words, Swine Flu

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

curbdiggercarl57 said:
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:
WOODY50 said:

You're still going to work? two words, Swine Flu

i laugh in the face of swine flu! :D

or at least i would if i had any work :-\

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That looks and sounds like a fantastic site to hunt ! Love your finds so far PLEASE keep posting them! :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOODY50 said:
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:
WOODY50 said:
Yes I agree with you, I would search even after dark (its a road building project and not a field)...
Yes it was an early evening hunt :P had another hammered and a very special find :o :o but you will have to wait until tomorrow for the pictures :laughing9:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WaSaBi said:
Silver Searcher,
Looks like you have a good spot to hunt at and I hope you find more. Looks like the construction might bring more of those coins closer to the surface for you. Hope deep were you finding most of your finds?

Nice coins and I would not even know what the gold coin was without research, no doubt though it is gold.

WTG
HI :hello: most of the finds were very close to the surface :thumbsup: the coin is Gold quarter stater from the Celtic Tribe Tasciovanus and is worth about £500 but it was not found by me :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions