Dan32981

Nov 11, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone!,

I had a chance to get out for some Dirt Fishing with Fr3nchy27, Bootstrap Vinn, their father, uncle, and my brother-in-law to meet up with a Historian up in Northern Maine, who had researched, and found a few camp & portage sites used by Benedict Arnold and his men during his march to Quebec in 1775. He took us back to a site where he had previously found 33 lbs of musket balls under one tree, so we knew the place had some relics to give up! The hunt started off well from Fr3nchy27 he found a uniform button within 2 feet of turning on his detector! (which he donated to the museum), then i heard him over the walkie-talkie saying he just found a musket ball, then his brother found one, then his dad, then my brother-in-law, man everyone was finding them, and i had not found anything!, another hour into the hunt, Fr3nchy27 and his crew elected to head to another spot, my brother-in-law had just dug another musket ball so we decided to stay, i was still determined to get my first musket ball!! About a half hour later i got a decent signal at 4" on the side of a small knoll in the ground, i dug my plug, scanned the hole with my pinpointer and Bam!, my first musket ball!, then i scanned the hole again, another target! Bam! out pops a second musket ball, then a third, then a fourth.....by this time my brother-in-law Rich is over there with me to see what all the excitement is about, and i ended up pulling out 11 musket balls in one hole! I ended up giving Rich 4 of them, bringing his total to 6, and mine to 7. It was a great day to uncover such awesome history and my very first musket ball plus 10!! The best part is knowing that no one had had touched these musket balls for 234 years. Happy Dirt Fishing everyone!! Enjoy the pic.

-Dan

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 804
Upvote 0

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Man that sure was fun wasnt it! Next time we will find some coins from that era. Cant wait! Nice digs. We will get some more good stuff next hunt too.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Those musket balls are huge! :) Why do you think the U.S. government made them so huge back then?

OP
OP
Dan32981

Dan32981

Nov 11, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Fr3nch27, DetectingFreak, allen, artzstuff1, and davesx, i was extremely excited to find a musketball and 11 in one hole! just made my day. Up untill that day i had not found one, and with the history behind these ones only made the find that much better. Happy Dirt Fishing all!!!

-Dan

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Dan. Im suprised they didnt overload your machine, with that amount in one hole. Lead sure does sound good on my machine, tricks me into thinking its something else. Hope you can make it back to that site and best of luck.

Mainer

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
Detectingfreak said:
Those musket balls are huge! :) Why do you think the U.S. government made them so huge back then?

Not to be a smartass, but there was no US Government at that time ;D

The majority of the muskets used during the American Revolution were British or French, with several others tossed in as well.

OP
OP
Dan32981

Dan32981

Nov 11, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
Nice finds Dan. Im suprised they didnt overload your machine, with that amount in one hole. Lead sure does sound good on my machine, tricks me into thinking its something else. Hope you can make it back to that site and best of luck.

Mainer

Thanks Mainer!, yeah i hope we can get back to the site, actually i was running on the Coin/jewerly range on my DFX so it gave me a pretty good signal they were tightly clumped in one area so it was a solid signal. I was talking to "Fr3nch27", we work together and we go out detecting together almost everytime we go, he said you two were talking we should all try to get together for a hunt. Fr3nchy27 uses a Fisher 1225 machine and i use the Whites DFX so we always have friendly "Whites vs. Fisher" jokes to go around, he has more experiance then i do, ive only have about 3 yrs under my belt so he has showed me a lot, and we always have a competitive hunt when we go to see who can get the most silver that year, he is up on me by 8 this year.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
on my dfx bullets in general ring in as a silver coin. so im usaully a little disapointed because i have visions of old coins in my head and then pops out a bullet. still cool though. willy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions