Des ground notch affect depth with the lf coil?

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for the in depth testing and video(s)......much appreciated, and I had very similar results with the LF coil as well......I'm wondering how lower conductors will act with the ground notch with the LF coil, smaller brass buttons, buckles, suspender clips, nickels, fatty IHP's....relics like that.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be a good idea to test some out.

Mike G.

May 4, 2017
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash, I use the ground notch for most of my hunting. My ground can be tough in most areas because of the high mineralization and hot rocks. It does knock out the hot rocks and seems to smooth out the ground noise in high mineralization. I used the hot rock reject settings also for years on my Whites detectors. I'm still using 3.2 (if it ain't broke don't fix it)so I can't test the LF against the HF in bad ground to see if there is any difference on deeper targets.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you test it in your ground on some targets at the edge of detection depth in your soil and see what happens?

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't ground notch nothing more than notching the phase. Just like notching a zinc penny it will just null the signal.

Also, I'm certain I couldn't hit my 9" dime with ground notch at 80 and phase at around 84. I'll double check this in the morning. Could be my frequency, sensitivity who knows.

Mike G.

May 4, 2017
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash, I can only speak for my ground conditions and settings. I can do some more testing on smaller deep targets but I haven't seen any noticeable depth loss so far on coin sized targets using ground notch. The problem for me is dealing with hot ground and hot rocks at the same time while still being able to get good depth. I can ground balance out the hot rock by balancing 4-5 points positive but there is a noticeable depth loss when doing that. With ground notch I can silence the hot rocks while still getting a proper ground balance to get the best depth for my ground.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's what ive been wondering are other users in different areas with different soil types seeing any negative effects.

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly what I wanted to see! Love the vids man! Keep em' coming!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ground notch is kinda like silencer to me. In my testing, they seem to not effect depth as much as they effect the "filtering" of the sound. Much more "clipped" sounding audio when applying notch or silencer. Thats why I like to run wide open and let my ears do the filtering

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground notch is kinda like silencer to me. In my testing, they seem to not effect depth as much as they effect the "filtering" of the sound. Much more "clipped" sounding audio when applying notch or silencer. Thats why I like to run wide open and let my ears do the filtering
This is a good point.....but when i apply silencer the target sounds "clearer / sharper" to me....the sound is shortened in the length but it sounds better, this is why I run S2.... with no depth loss.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Enjoyed the vid, Calabash. I've also used Ground Notch with hotrocks. Can't say if there was any depth loss yet, but will experiment a bit.
I got a place were the ground is low mineralized, but 60 meters away, hotrocks max out the mineralization meter on the deus.
Ideal place to experiment.

What has me wondering, if it "notches out" the ground numbers, can you go -1 on the ground balance to equal out the difference in clipped sounds?

Tedyoh, interesting. In my area its the opposite. I get cleaner signals at silencer -1! LOL

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't think so but you can try it and see . please let us know whats up.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I recall, I will most certainly do so!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread