Desert prospecting in the chilly high desert

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's good to be back on the road again. It was time to take the coach on a road trip test run.
So that's what I did this weekend. My friend who helped me Weld my manifold recently acquired nice five-acre plot north of Barstow, California. Not just a claim but owned, developable property. I went up with my lady to help them work on the property. He and I did a little two-mile hike around the washes and filled a couple of 5 gallon buckets with samples along our route. I brought my dry washer but never had a chance to really use it. I also brought my little recirculating sluice so that's what we ran the samples with.
Recirculating Sluice 1.0.jpg Recirculating Sluice 1.1.jpg Recirculating sluice 1.3.jpg
After that it was time to eat, drink, and shoot guns.
Shots after lunch.jpg
The sun was setting fast, and so was the temperature. By sunset it was 35° so we started the fire and did some more drinking.:tongue3:
Fireside, painless, and free.jpg Outdoor heating.jpg
I love it out here so much.
The isolation is intoxicating alone. The desert air fills the soul, and the silence is deafening.
It's been too long in the city.
The freedom out here is addicting, and like gold fever there is no cure.
He's got a nice piece of land here, but it does get cold. Had to run the heater in the coach all night.
Got down to 20° and didn't get over 40° the rest of the weekend.
Didn't find much color, but there still another thousand acres or so around us to check out.
I'm not allowed to say exactly where this is for now, but I can show you these pictures.
Just visiting.jpg the Homestead 1.1.jpg the Homestead 1.0.jpg Our Hosts 1.0.jpg
The last morning my wife noticed something peculiar hanging off the bottom of the coach.
I may have a leak.jpg I think I found the leak.jpg
On the way out of camp I had one more little adventure.
We entered a narrow canyon on the wash road and I guess I was going to little faster than I needed to and when I tried to turn my right front wheel got buried in the sand. I was stuck, it was pilot error.
It took about 10 min. with the shovel and I was back up on the road again. I'm glad I was going downstream.
It was 15 miles round-trip off road from his land to the highway so that also gave the truck of good shakedown test.
I was pleased with the mileage. It improved. Before the repair I only got about 6 miles to the gallon. Now it's up to 8 miles per gallon. I can live with that.
It turns out that the water leak was the fresh water line going to the back of the toilet.
It was easy to fix.
So now I need to start planning my next adventure:goldpan:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow - looks like a GREAT Time! Thank you for sharing!! :occasion14:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Over the legal limit for fun--nicely done! Great pictures to boot.

All the best,

Lanny

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
You all know how to get her done right, can tell much fun was had from the pics, keep it up and much gold to you all. Solo cup fill er up!! and ya diden't forget the lime/lemon cant quite tell wich u have, as either work great!!

OP
OP
Aurabbit79er

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all know how to get her done right, can tell much fun was had from the pics, keep it up and much gold to you all. Solo cup fill er up!! and ya diden't forget the lime/lemon cant quite tell wich u have, as either work great!!

You got it right, a little salt, a little lime, and a lot of tequila. Our host Kathy set up the shots again right after lunch.
It the best fun I've had prospecting that I can remember, and really that's what it's all about.
:goldpan:

chenty

Nov 4, 2012
missouri
Detector(s) used
BT IV, ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look like a great time was had buy all, thanks for the tour:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread