DeSoto and lost Spanish missions (Florida)

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll try to gather up some of the details of the lost Spanish Missions in the North Central area of Florida and I'm also collecting information regarding DeSoto's exploration of Florida.

In 2012 evidence was found 6 miles from where I live that indicates his party spent a winter there (present day Orange Lake, Fl) before continuing on to what is now Pensacola , Fl.

Also, evidence of Spanish missions have been found not too far from here.

I will start posting what I learn and would not mind if anyone added what they knew.

It's too hot now to metal detect much here, so it's a great time to organize my research and plan for the upcoming cooler weather.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
MORE HISTORY ON THE EARLY SPANISH EXPLORERS IN MARION COUNTY

In 1528, Panfilo Narvaez led a mounted expedition into the interior of Florida.
On the Oklawaha River, he encountered the OCALI tribe where a short but bloody battle ensued, and Narvaez let slip his dog of war upon the Ocali, who retreated into forest.
June, 1539, Hernando Desoto, raided the Ocali village at Silver Springs for food, then departed north to Orange Lake o set up camp.

OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm impressed with the scope of the expeditions. DeSoto brought hundreds of men with him and then either hired or enslaved huge amounts of the native peoples as he traveled. I've been in the military and know what kind of logistics it takes for overland marches of groups that large. To cover 27 miles a day through the Florida interior during the cooler months is impressive.

I know the exact location of the Orange Lake encampment is withheld to protect the site, but roughly, what part of the lake did they camp? I'm pouring over old topo maps trying to wrap my head around the accounts. I'm just fascinated by the rich history of the area.

Oroblanco, thanks for your posts.

OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And the other posters too. I can't wait to get home on the pc where I can really look at the links.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread