🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was hands down the best weekend I ever had detecting, and it had little to do with the finds. I was able to combine a few of my favorite things, hiking, paddling, detecting and hanging out with a good buddy. Somehow the moons aligned between Ahab8's (Abe) and my schedules, so I piggybacked a work trip to CT with a weekend in Maine. I threw together one of my graphite anode electrolysis tanks for Abe and loaded up my car... 10 hours later I was in Abe's driveway. There is a reason Abe finds the incredible stuff he does and it's because he is amazing at all aspects of this hobby, from research, to reading the terrain and locating sites, and using his machine to work the iron. Many times he said we arrived at a site and I see nothing, turn on the machine and there's iron in the middle of no where. I learned a TON from him this weekend about what to look for. I thought the places I went and amount of work I put into recovering stuff was pretty intense, but Abe takes it to a whole new level. Abe's appreciation of the history of his area and the stuff he finds is inspiring and an asset to our hobby. One of my favorite things is to hit a site that has been pounded in the past and dig the horrible signals. Its a lot of work, but its so much more rewarding to unmask a non-ferrous target. With the exception of one spot, the rest had been hit pretty hard.

Check out Abe's Post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...1653-copper-war-1812-buttons-shoe-buckle.html

The group shot of my weekend hunt with Abe

IMG_20160612_184408574.jpg

Hunt 1: I don't have hot rocks back home where I hunt... I get the occasional piece of coke, but no hot rocks. So I wasn't used to them and the Deus enjoyed them in Maine. After wasting some time on some hot rocks, I came out of the gates with a sweet cufflink! Its been a cufflink year for me, so I was thrilled to see another one turn up. A few musket balls and buttons later we move on and my finds quiet down. We get to a site that Abe has been trying to locate and thinks he finally found it. I turn on my machine and instantly find an 1870 IHP, as I'm explaining to Abe that this might be a more modern site he pulls out an incredible rat tail spoon, followed by a complete pair of cufflinks, an incredible pewter shoe buckle frame.... and then a complete shoe buckle. While I couldn't get my coil over anything good at this site (I zigged when I should have zagged) this was my favorite part of the weekend. Seeing that stuff come out of the dirt is just awesome. Sun was going down so we started home, but stopped by one more site on the way. I pulled a sweet hoe blade and Abe found an INSANE copper (check out his post). We each dug a fragment to the same shoe buckle and Abe remembered he had another piece at home. When we get there, he grabs it and all three pieces completed the frame. So I left that buckle fragment, and a tombac button from his ancestors property rightfully with Abe!

IMG_20160612_173803876.jpg IMG_20160612_173823567.jpg
IMG_20160612_173739907.jpg IMG_20160612_173827485.jpg

Hunt 2: We head to a site with War of 1812 history to sift a pit that Abe thinks he found there. He's pulled some incredible buttons from here that you can see in some of his past posts. My oldest military button's are Civil War and I desperately wanted an 1812 button. We get there and I start digging some test pits and quickly verify he has indeed located a very large pit area. I start emptying a section out and pick a flat button, melted lead, brass tack and various other bits from between the iron. Abe comes and joins me and he locates a nice mid tone, which turned out to be a pewter. We got another broken pewter from the pit and decide to take a break from the pit and detect. This place is hammered! After 30 min and a bunch of .22 shell casing (everywhere) I get a whisper and pull out a small brass cuff button. I decided to dig everything in that area and see what happened.... what happened was unbelievable. My next "target" was more of a click or blip on the Deus and one I would not dig unless in a special area. I cut a plug, flip it over and its a SLAMMING mid tone in the bottom of the plug. brush off some dirt and there is a pewter "10" staring at me. Beyond excited I call Abe over to see it. Two minutes later I have a similar signal, flip the plug, same deal.... there is a pewter "5" staring at me. A couple more minutes later a "US" pewter comes out feet away. I insistent that Abe come and join me in this 20x20 foot section. We spend the rest of the day working this area and digging everything. Pewters and brass buttons are turning up all over the place. Abe.... that was awesome man! That was a total blast working that area with you buddy :headbang:

IMG_20160612_182830209.jpg

The group shot of the 1812 Pewters I dug in that small section.

IMG_20160612_182924474.jpg

Abe literally rolled out his red carpet, the t-net famous backdrop for all his finds and he took these incredible photos of the buttons. These buttons look better in the photos than they do in person :laughing7:

1808-11 4th Regt. U.S. Infantry - Cuff Button

IMG951192.jpg

Each of these said "United States" around the border. Together, you can see how the lettering was laid out.

1798-1802 10th Regt. U.S. Infantry AND 1798-1802 5th Regt. U.S. Infantry (All cuff buttons)

IMG951193.jpg

1808-30 U.S. Army General Service - Cuff Buttons

IMG951190.jpg

And the rolled up pewter taco... every pewter from this location has been a marked military, so if I can figure out how to unroll this safely, perhaps there is something salvageable on the inside.

IMG_20160612_182947562.jpg

Hunt 3: This was a quick one and we only lasted for a couple hours. After Hunt 1 and Hunt 2 we were physically exhausted and had no gas in the tank. My favorite from this group is the lead fishing weight.

IMG_20160612_183957857.jpg

IMG_20160612_184005148.jpg

Thank you once again Abe! You're going to kill it in that pit and I cant wait to see what you dig up out there. That iron turned out incredible and that was the nicest ax I've seen come out of a tank. When you wear those anodes down, let me know and I'll whip up a new set for you and send them off.

Last edited:
Upvote 25

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, those buttons are wicked cool. If anyone's gonna figure out how to unfurl a pewter button, it'll be you..good luck! That was cool of Abe to invite you up and I'm sure he was happy to meet you and learn some tricks of the trade from you.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, those buttons are wicked cool. If anyone's gonna figure out how to unfurl a pewter button, it'll be you..good luck! That was cool of Abe to invite you up and I'm sure he was happy to meet you and learn some tricks of the trade from you.

Thanks Joey! Yeah, it was really awesome of him... but I probably learned more this weekend! So far my plan on that button is to Google the melting point of pewter and try not to melt it. Haha. It'll be a low temp, so I'll probably heat it to a couple hundred degrees in the oven and see if it budges. Can't really hurt it.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
After a write up like yours, what's left to comment on?! Those 1812 buttons are absolutely amazing, and you guys sound like you had a ball. You both really love history and it shows in every post. I can't wait to be a part of the action come this fall...

I hope you put those dang buttons all in a single display. They look great together.

Amazing finds brother!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was waiting for your side of the epic Abe join hunt. For a guy with nothing earlier than the civil war you're on your certainly on your way with an early military pewter collection. Congrats on an epic haul Brad

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys sure had a blast! I'm really liking the 1812 buttons. Congrats on a fantastic weekend.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Those don't look like the finds of a "weekend hunt". They look more like a "Summer's worth of finds"!! :notworthy:

I'm ready to retire to a wheelchair just from looking at all the stuff! :laughing7:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds... the Adze is stellar.
Well done.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a fantastic post my friend. I was so tired that I was falling asleep in the middle of mine. This weekend was really incredible! Great hunting, great food and above all a great friend to enjoy it all with. I am so impressed with your abilities in the iron. If not for you we never would ha e hit that pewter rich area. That's all it is sometimes....the difference between amazing and ok. You squeaked that cuff button out then hunkered down and dug everything. I'm beyond thrilled that you got some great marked pewters to take home....not sure you had to take like 8 of them....maybe 4 would have been plenty lol.
I can't thank you enough for the electrolysis tank and schooling me on the use of it and the hot wax. One more addiction for me. I also can't thank you enough for the 40 lbs of sushi you bought. This weekend blew away all expectations and we will do it again sometime for sure. Can't wait to see that 1812 display

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great hunt is right. ,one of my favorite things about this hobby ,obsession , habit, lol is to get together hunters and
Do an all day hunt. , you guys killed it variety ,totals , relics. Great research Ahab !! Hh gl.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent post!!! Glad you got to dig with Abe. What a treat. Two great legends on this website detecting together was awesome to read. Reading the write-up was really fun!! Love the pictures as well. You do a phenominal job of restoration and writing and is always entertaining and informative to read these. Can't wait for Saturday. ;)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great weekend! I think the pewters are great, and some really are not in that bad of condition. It sort of makes me want to wish the Summer away to get into detecting season... but considering it's so short here I'm not going to do it! :)

Every find you saved from him getting helps me save a dollar and maybe makes me another. :)

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic weekend for you and Abe-glad to see two great Tnetters meet up and enjoy the experience of hitting homerun after homerun. Building him an electrolysis tank was a class move on your part Brad-I'm sure that he's hooked on the electrolysis experience like you and I are. Great job-and congratulations on the 1812 buttons!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
A great weekend! I think the pewters are great, and some really are not in that bad of condition. It sort of makes me want to wish the Summer away to get into detecting season... but considering it's so short here I'm not going to do it! :)

Every find you saved from him getting helps me save a dollar and maybe makes me another. :)

Lol. Ain't summers for re-finding old finds IP? Lol.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great handful of pewter. Most are lucky to get one, maybe two in a hunt...or in a year.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was deliriously tired when I wrote this post and this morning I realized I left out an important detail about the ticks at the 1812 site. It a little embarrassing, but you all can relate for sure... so after 30 min at the site, Abe comes up to me and pulls 3 ticks off my shirt. I loaded up with bug spray and kept checking myself all day... no more ticks. Weird, if there was 3, there has to be many more... We get back from hunting late, I shower at the hotel and meet Abe for dinner, go back and crash hard. Wake up at 3:30 am to meet up with Abe for a few hours before I get on the road and head south. Get out of bed and feel something running across my back. Tick! Check myself again and there is another one stuck on my a$$. So I gave two ticks a nice shower, then took them out for a nice sushi meal, then slept with them.

I probably got tick borne blood disease, but those buttons were totally worth it!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another great post Brad! I love hearing the whole story with all the details as just posting the finds leaves a lot to be desired. And nice going on pulling all those pewters out of the iron. Your perseverance really paid off. That interesting hoe caught my eye as well. Don't see ones with a rounded edge like that too often. I'd date it late 1700s or thereabouts, and it may have been a turnip hoe. Can you see a maker's mark on it? It would be on the spine either at the top near the neck, or at the bottom near or on the pointed end. Congrats on an outstanding weekend, and glad you and Abe finally hooked up and hit it off so well. Later buddy ....

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a blast of a weekend. You guys killed it.
After reading your individual posts, , I had to take a nap.
Excellent write up and fabulous finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread