Detecting arrow heads???

finds4jcb

Jul 14, 2005
Hi I hope I am posting in the right spot. This might be a silly ??..but can a metal detector signal if you are over certain stone or rocks. My son has arrow heads and some other sort of indian rock that was in a magazine and he wants to look for more. We found the one that was in the national geographic for kids in TN by a big stream. He also would like to locate sharks teeth we go to florida every sumer and he would love to have a megalagon sharks tooth. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Angie

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the Type of Items your Looking for NO a detector won't help.

Yes this is the Perfect Spot to ask.

Detectors can be used to find Meteorites, Hot Rocks(Iron ore) , Gold & Silver.

unfortunately not many OLD arrowheads are made of Metal.

I do think some were made of Copper in certain areas of the Country tho.

To find arrow heads, most look in FRESHLY Plowed Fields, & find them by "Eyeballing" them

Pretty much the same for sharks teeth, only most of them are found on the Beaches.

Florida is a Great Place for Sharks Teeth.

My grandmother used to come back with Hundreds of them (just the Small ones tho) every year.

? ? ? ? Jeff

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
finds4jcb said:
? He also would like to locate sharks teeth we go to florida every sumer and he would love to have a megalagon sharks tooth. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Angie

I'm in Florida and I occasionally go hunting for megaladon teeth. Here is a web page, I have been to a few of these places:

http://www.treasuresites.com/members/fossil.htm

If you need more specific info, or are in the west central Florida area just send me a PM!

Good hunting! omnicognic 8)

Tigr50

Greenie
Sep 28, 2003
Roswell NM
Hi there:
I love finding arrowheads and other artifacts. I've been doing it since I was a girl. I'd say the best detector is the well-trained eye and knowing the terrain you are on. Arrowheads are usually made from very different stone than is underfoot, and so they really stand out. I find myself saying "now, what are YOU doing here?" as I pick up an all-too-regularly shaped man-made object that is red or shiny black. As for fossils, they don't look like they "belong" either. I am always finding arrowheads at our mining claim (the guys tell me I should be concentrating on finding the gold!) But when I am standing on a long ridge between to creek beds, I realize it is the perfect hunting blind for indians, and that's where I find the arrowheads.

As for Megaladon teeth--I'd love to find one of those!
Good hunting.
Tigr50

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread