Recent Finds

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Here's a few of my recent finds.

This first is a spiriferid brach I prepped from the matrix using my microblaster:

bx.site0.spiriferid2.jpg

The second is another spiriferid I haven't prepped yet, although I coated it with Vinac to protect it:

bx.site0.spiriferid1.jpg

I found both of these near Bixoma Lake in Leonard, OK.

The next finds are from Rogers County, OK mainly from the Oologah and LaBette Limestone formations.

First, here's a weird gastropod (I think anyway) that I've not yet identified (Note: I've tenatively identified this as Euconospira turbiniformis.)
:

ol.site7.gastropod1.jpg

This is the ONLY gastropod I've found in this area (numerous sites) and it's a bizarre one.
The next is a cephalopod (Note: I believe this is a gastropod now, not a cephalapod) I've yet to prep:

ol.site7.cephalopod1.jpg

This is also the only cephalopod I've found in this area.

Next is a large block of limestone that has some nice brachiopods I plan on prepping with my microblaster.? The significant thing about these brachs is they have some spines intact which is pretty rare for brachiopods in this area:

ol.site7.brachiopodspines2.jpg

ol.site7.brachiopodspines.jpg

We find lots of "loose" fossils in this area also.? Here's a picture of a typical day's finds we simply pick up:

ol.site7.typicalfinds.jpg

In the pic are crinoid stems, brachiopods (mainly Productida) and rugose corals.? All are somewhat weathered but occassionally we find decent specimens.

Next is a very, very bizarre limonitic concretion:

ol.site5.hippyrock.jpg

I've found lots of limonitic concretions at this site but none that look anything like this one.? I dubbed it the "Hippy Rock" for its oddly psychedelic patterns.

I have more to post but I'll show and tell in a new post.

Richard

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Nice photos Richard
Your limonitic concretion looks very fossiliferous.These are all Pennsylvanian in age?

I always enjoy looking at fossil finds.
George

OP
OP
futzman

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Hi George,

Yes, they're all Pennsylvanian in age, at least according to the Oklahoma Geologic Maps. The fossils I've identified are all Penn in age also, so that's consistent with the maps.

I don't think the concretion appearance is due to a fossil, although I could be wrong. Each "bullseye" pattern looks (and feels) to be caused by erosion to the next-most layer underneath. Most of the concretions in this area are layered and consist of alternate layers of limonite and hematite then a core of pure limonite (the so-called Indian "paint rock"). At least that's the best I can determine not being a geologist. This one looks like the outer-most limonite layer was "carved" out to the next hematite layer to produce the odd pattern, although I can't imagine what process would cause this effect.

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
A wonderful variety of beautiful finds. Thanks for posting, it's nice to see some of these types of treasures as well.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread