Detecting for gold in the Klondike

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
This is an anecdote about using a metal detector to find gold. I have sensed that there are some who put so much emphasis on the equipment to find and recover placer gold, that they rationalize not finding gold because "I didn't have good enough equipment." But in many cases I have found they have the argument upside down.
A true story:
I have been mining in the Klondike gold fields of Yukon Territory for thirty-four years. Many of the larger miners there think metal detectors are of little use and even come under the classification of toys. I have found them to be of valuable use not in my production of gold but in the prospecting process. I will say that I have recovered over sixty ounces of nuggets in the process.
Every Friday afternoon, my wife and I go to town to get supplies and whoop-it-up. About 4 o'clock we always stop in the Snakepit to meet at the back table with what I call "the upper-creek miners." These are the smaller, but mechanized, operations that mine on the steep narrow-sided gulches that are very difficult to mine. The back table is usually reserved for us and was where the Hoffman boys from the Gold Rush show were setting when they made the deal for where they are mining on Quartz Creek just over the ridge from us. The nerve of them sitting at our table!!!!!!! We have done this for so many years that the townies joke that if they don't see us there on Friday afternoon they will call out the Mounties because something must be wrong.
One Friday afternoon when we were there, I noticed someone sitting at the next table with a Minelab metal detector. Naturally, I had to have a conversation with him. I asked him if he found any gold with it yet. He said "No, but I have the best metal detector in the world right here." I pulled out my moosehide gold sack and showed him two-2 1/2 oz, 2-1 1/4 oz, and a 1 oz nugget. Over 8 ounces, and said that I found them with an old blunderbuss of a detector, a Garrett's ADS3 I bought in 1983. The detector wasn't even designed for gold. Of course, the argument could be made that I could have found more with a better metal detector.
A good quality metal detector is very important, but there is an order of importance to be a successful finder of nuggets. The primary element in finding nuggets is to put yourself in a spot where there are nuggets. The metal detector or any other equipment isn't going to find the gold for you, they can only aid you.
The successful miners in the Klondike who make a living at it, and the many old-timers I have listened to who were from the 1920s and 1930s, were successful because they first practiced the art of prospecting. Anyone can call themselves a prospector, but not everyone is a successful prospector.

Upvote 0

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gork, A very good read and it is the same point I have been trying to get across to many just getting started. This applies anywhere, learn the ground that you have locally. If it is gold bearing then learn more about that ground. Get your nose in the dirt and be one with the dirt. If you have detectable nuggets then most of your work is out of the way. A separate story : I met a guy in Northern Nevada that was there from Ohio. We were eating in Winnemucca and he asked for some directions. I tried to be helpful and as we were both headed in almost the same direction we left together. We got to the turnoff point for the guy and he invited me to go with him as he was only going to be there for a few hours and had to head back to Ohio. I thought this is odd, well he told me a story that his great grandad had told him. He had done alot of research and bought a $100.00 detector from somewhere. His great grandad had placered in the area we were at and had been run off by indians. He and his partner had just finished clearing a small highbench to bedrock. One person in the party had died from sickness and was buried at the end of the bench in deeper ground. This rockstack had a certain identifying feature that was passed on along with a very concise discription of the location. They were working the bedrock prying nuggets out with knives when they were run off. Evidently some of the nuggets made it back to Ohio with the story. He was here to locate the draw, which we did, and then detect the bedrock. After finding the draw and locating several very small benches we finally came up on one that had a mound at the end of it. The entire area of the bench was only thirty square feet. It was very pockety bedrock with crevises maybe a foot deep. While I was checking the bench out he was checking the mound out. He called to me and had a locket on a chain in his hand. He said this was it. Well, I had to set the detector up for him and figure out myself how to operate it. Once done I told him to go over the bedrock, not really expecting anything at all. This was over twenty five years ago and it had to be a good size piece of gold for any detector to give a signal. Well, he got signals, he got eleven that we dug out, the smallest nugget was about an ounce while the largest went over five ounces. This bedrock had been under about six feet of material when the old timer had cleared it off. Now it was all out in the open. We stayed for about five hours and did not get any more signals. I persuaded him to let me go over it with my top of the line detector. It was Whites 6000 DI and I could not hear anything else. This area was not in a known gold district but it was prospected and had a few small irregularities in the geology and this was one of them. Do your homework and learn about the geology in your particular area. The nugget he gave me for helping him is still my biggest nugget from Nevada and I didnt find it, he did with a hundred dollar detector. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

OP
OP
G

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
Excellent story Trinityau. Glad to see someone back up my experience.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ray,

Fascinating story--incredible finds. I love reading your gold tales.

Gork,

You're on the money for sure with your tips on detecting for gold with metal detectors.

All the best to both of you,

Lanny

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: Amen Ray--ifn' ya don't go-- you get nuttn'. So many times in the past it's been proven that no matter how good, or bad, a machine a man has, it's the man who puts it all together. Local yokel club sponsored a hunt and my son was 12 and his good detector had been stolen. He took his tiny antique radio shack detector he had as a 6 year old and beat the pants off the pros in a head to head competition. Little booger beat me out for the first place gold coin in a flip of the coin as we had tied for first place hahahaha. I bought a chain and coin holder and he wears it to this day over 20 years later. And that's the LAST time he's beaten his Popz at detecting :icon_thumright: Get up---get out--and get it on Ray style(but you must be 1/2 mountain goat to keep up with him though pray tell)--tons a au 2 u 2-John

OP
OP
G

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
Lanny;

Since you were asking about my claims in the Klondike, here they are.
I posted this claim sheet showing my little empire under another topic and don't know if you saw it, so here it is again.
You will notice that one of them is bigger than the others. Normally they are 500' long on the center line of the valley. The long one (Growly) is 1500' long. I was allowed a Discovery Claim since I was the first one to find gold in the watershed.
Do they have the same ruling for discovery claims in the States?

Attachments

• My Empire.JPG
    My Empire.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,671
  • My Empire.JPG
    My Empire.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 821

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gork,

Thanks for the map showing your claims. Eagle may be able to help you with the laws for claims in the States on discovery claims, as I spend most of my time chasing the gold in B.C.

You are very lucky indeed to still be allowed a cabin on your claim--these days if it doesn't move, it can't stay on the claim.

Do you get to do much detecting? Or, are you mostly running large equipment to get your gold?

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
G

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
Lanny in AB said:
Gork,

Thanks for the map showing your claims. Eagle may be able to help you with the laws for claims in the States on discovery claims, as I spend most of my time chasing the gold in B.C.

You are very lucky indeed to still be allowed a cabin on your claim--these days if it doesn't move, it can't stay on the claim.

Do you get to do much detecting? Or, are you mostly running large equipment to get your gold?

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny:
I use a detector mostly for prospecting as I stated in my above story. I am attaching a photo for when I was at my peak of mining. Our operation was considered one of the smallest mechanized placer operations in the Klondike.
In a week, I will be shutting down my correspondence on Treasurenet, as I will be heading to Arizona for two months. I have been asked to be in Yuma in February to meet with the Congressional Committee that is about to make the 1858-1861 Butterfield Overland Trail an National Historic Trail. They are using my second book on the subject (just published) as the main reference for the Arizona section of this historic trail. But most of the time I will be in remote areas walking in the ruts of the old trail.

Gerry

Attachments

• My Klondike mining operation.jpg
    My Klondike mining operation.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 1,491
  • My Klondike mining operation.jpg
    My Klondike mining operation.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 1,141

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
[/quote]

Lanny:
I use a detector mostly for prospecting as I stated in my above story. I am attaching a photo for when I was at my peak of mining. Our operation was considered one of the smallest mechanized placer operations in the Klondike.
In a week, I will be shutting down my correspondence on Treasurenet, as I will be heading to Arizona for two months. I have been asked to be in Yuma in February to meet with the Congressional Committee that is about to make the 1858-1861 Butterfield Overland Trail an National Historic Trail. They are using my second book on the subject (just published) as the main reference for the Arizona section of this historic trail. But most of the time I will be in remote areas walking in the ruts of the old trail.

Gerry

[/quote]

Gerry,

Thanks for posting the picture--that's a great little set-up! The reason I asked about your detector is that I was curious if you used your detector after you'd worked the ground, especially if you made it to bedrock. It's a lot of fun detecting bedrock after it's been worked, and it's sometimes amazing what is left behind.

Congratulations on the honor of being selected to work on the Congressional Committee--what a compliment! It sounds like you'll most certainly be busy for a while.

What book did you write?

All the best,

Lanny

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, The factor of "Luck" or "Beginners Luck' this frequent event . just few from my area

Old man Priest {surname} was taking his usual stort cut threw the old mine sites to get to work at a local factory. That morning as he passed a tailing dump on his push-bike he noticed a glitter in the morning sun. He knew nothing about gold at all 107 oz nugget

A drifter unemployed who lived a tailer park brought a cheap md went to Kingower came with home the "hand of faith "

A teenage school girl in 1988 walking home from the bus stop to her parents farm fell over a 74 oz nugget , on edge of the resently graded dirt road .

Local gas company was laying a new pipe across the creek at a place Guilford. While digging the footing for the overhead line hit a patch. 4 workers pulled the hub caps off the support car and panned 41 oz in the 3 hours.

A retired worker who brought an md had 10 oz nugget on the first day. 3 weeks ago.

road works crew replacing the main street in Wedderburn found about 3 nuggets over 2 ozs.

These people knew little or nothing about gold mining . One just has wonder ?

tinpan

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
tinpan said:
Hi all, The factor of "Luck" or "Beginners Luck' this frequent event . just few from my area

Old man Priest {surname} was taking his usual stort cut threw the old mine sites to get to work at a local factory. That morning as he passed a tailing dump on his push-bike he noticed a glitter in the morning sun. He knew nothing about gold at all 107 oz nugget

A drifter unemployed who lived a tailer park brought a cheap md went to Kingower came with home the "hand of faith "

A teenage school girl in 1988 walking home from the bus stop to her parents farm fell over a 74 oz nugget , on edge of the resently graded dirt road .

Local gas company was laying a new pipe across the creek at a place Guilford. While digging the footing for the overhead line hit a patch. 4 workers pulled the hub caps off the support car and panned 41 oz in the 3 hours.

A retired worker who brought an md had 10 oz nugget on the first day. 3 weeks ago.

road works crew replacing the main street in Wedderburn found about 3 nuggets over 2 ozs.

These people knew little or nothing about gold mining . One just has wonder ?

tinpan

Tinpan,

Interesting little story-lines of lucky finds--it does make one wonder.

All the best,

Lanny

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of the best storys here! I admitt, fate is a crazy thing and I know the age old story: "Gold Is Where you find it"! Sometimes you get a feeling and stumble into it too. Good future luck with more finds. Don from French Gulch, North/California

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I love these stories. Do you mind if I add one?

About '67 or '68, and I'm about 13 or 14 on a trip with my parents to Colorado. I wanted to go explore an old ghost mining town, which IIRC, was St. John or St. Johns. There was an abandoned mine above a lake. Dad warned the kids not to go into any abandoned mines. Some friends with us saw what they thought was gold glittering on the shallow lake bed and were trying to pan it with picnic plates. I knew it was just mica.

But what caught my eye was an abandoned, burned down cabin. Really nothing left but the outline of the foundation and three wood burning stoves. Something wrong with this picture, I thought. It doesn't get that cold. So I found an old rusty coffee can and started scooping out the ashes of the stoves. Found two nice gold blob nuggets, the largest about half an ounce. Had it for years until it went to wherever lost socks go. Question I always had, though, can a wood burning stove get hot enough to smelt gold?

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
<trinityau> very interesting story :) man it would have been so cool to have experienced that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions