Detecting in Hell

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
frozenhell.jpg

I took my family to Michigan last week to visit with my wife's folks, as the kids were off of school. They live about a mile and a half from Hell, Michigan.

You know the old saying "when hell freezes over"? Well, it did!

Despite the freezing cold temps and the snow on the ground all week, I managed to get out around the old farm property for an hour or so just about every day we were there. I decided to spend some time in the overgrown field next to the yard, as my father-in-law said that when he bought the place 40 years ago it was pretty clear, and he was sure that it had been farmed at one point in the past. I also covered a lot of ground in and around the yard that I had covered many times before, this time digging low and iffy tones given there are no more high good tones to be had. I've been hammering this property every time we visit for the past 12 years or so.

Anyways, here are the pics of my finds from a week of detecting in (or at least near) Hell...

First off here's a shot of the property from a couple hundred yards behind the property where my kids were sledding...

IMG_0535.jpg

Here are a few pics of the big iron and junk...

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

And here are the keepers...

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

I thought I had finally found my first large cent when this big disk revealed itself in the ground, but then I saw it was slightly domed, and when I flipped it over, the back was corroded away. Not sure if it was a button of some kind, or a cap to some bottle or something. Next to it is the only coin I found the whole week - a 1927 wheatie...

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

I also found what looks to be a piece from an old cast iron stove...

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

Well, I now have a whole new appreciation for all of you who live in the midwest and east and have to wait out the winter before you can begin detecting in earnest again in the spring. I also have a whole new appreciation for the mild climate I've got on the West coast, even though it's been raining quite a lot since we got back home.

Happy Hunting,

Jim

Upvote 0
S

seger98

Funny..... Nice story & photos, even though that thimble has seen better days I sure like those kinds of finds!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Second clump of grass halfway through the field in the pic, towards the left...yep, righ there you will find that elusive Large Cent! :tongue3: Nice bunch of finds! jgas

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice place, ive been told to go there a few times but never made it, LOL.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Nice hunt!!!
I need one of those signs to hang up at work!!!

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Great determination :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing what's in Hell ;D

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H staff said:
Yep! been to He- double hockey sticks. Did you get to eat at the local restaurant in town? best burgers in the world!

Wow, burgers from Hell.

R

rig runner09

nice pics of your finds is that a 410 shotgun shell case.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell froze over huh. That explains an awful lot. Cool barn pic, Congrats on getting out. :thumbsup:

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just glad the signs not pointing down! Used to live not far from there. Last time there it was on a motorcycle for lunch.

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Been told to go there many times by the ex. Now I know where it is! Glad to know I can detect there!

Congrats on a hell'ish hunt!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey, Jim. That's what I call slim pickens in Hell! ;D ;D

I'm sure you're glad to be back home!

Let's see some more oldies from your site! :thumbsup:

HH,

CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread