Detecting in Hell

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
frozenhell.jpg

I took my family to Michigan last week to visit with my wife's folks, as the kids were off of school. They live about a mile and a half from Hell, Michigan.

You know the old saying "when hell freezes over"? Well, it did!

Despite the freezing cold temps and the snow on the ground all week, I managed to get out around the old farm property for an hour or so just about every day we were there. I decided to spend some time in the overgrown field next to the yard, as my father-in-law said that when he bought the place 40 years ago it was pretty clear, and he was sure that it had been farmed at one point in the past. I also covered a lot of ground in and around the yard that I had covered many times before, this time digging low and iffy tones given there are no more high good tones to be had. I've been hammering this property every time we visit for the past 12 years or so.

Anyways, here are the pics of my finds from a week of detecting in (or at least near) Hell...

First off here's a shot of the property from a couple hundred yards behind the property where my kids were sledding...

IMG_0535.jpg

Here are a few pics of the big iron and junk...

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

And here are the keepers...

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

I thought I had finally found my first large cent when this big disk revealed itself in the ground, but then I saw it was slightly domed, and when I flipped it over, the back was corroded away. Not sure if it was a button of some kind, or a cap to some bottle or something. Next to it is the only coin I found the whole week - a 1927 wheatie...

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

I also found what looks to be a piece from an old cast iron stove...

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

Well, I now have a whole new appreciation for all of you who live in the midwest and east and have to wait out the winter before you can begin detecting in earnest again in the spring. I also have a whole new appreciation for the mild climate I've got on the West coast, even though it's been raining quite a lot since we got back home.

Happy Hunting,

Jim

Upvote 0
plehbah said:
I think that the piece that you thought was a large cent is actually a bridle rosette with the lead fill gone.

I think it is basically decorative horse hardware, and dates to the same period as most of your finds.

For certain that is what it is. Nice finds--the suspender clip is a great one. :thumbsup:

-Buckles

Very nice finds. So when they say it is cold as "Hell," I know have a reference and can go check the weather report there...lol

Another earth shaking question finally answered!

SKD

Looks like you did your part in trying to thaw it out. :thumbsup:

Nice items.

Cool pictures-hot finds...I can honestly say I've been through Hell...many times....used to work in that area, l live west of there.

Great pic!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Glad you had a nice trip, Jim! Too bad more old coins weren't jumping up to greet you.

It's actually been diggable by me for a week or so, as long as you stay in the woods.

That clip is especially nice! :thumbsup:

Nice finds near Hell, now go out to Climax, and have a ball.........NGE

Wow, that's a "Hell" of a lot of finds. Congrats, and neat story.

You should go back in the summer and hunt the lake. It's been there forever and it isn't very deep. You can walk
a mile in the water and the water won't get over your hips. Has to be a lot of jewelry lost in that lake.

HH, Ringfinder

Joseph, Oregon had a sign on its outskirts that I can remember: "This little town is like heaven to us. So, don't drive like hell through it."
Seems like "hell" is a very used word. And, Hell is a bit icier than I imagined it.

I would rather be diggin than with my in-laws as well :wink: WTG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back