Detecting Lawns

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Ace 250
I am new to the metal detecting game and am wondering how to go about removing finds in lawns without damaging the lawn itself or leaving dead spots. I would like to detect some parks and neighbors lawns but I really trashed my backyard in the first few days I had my Ace 250. I am much better at pinpointing the items now then I was then but am anxious about progressing to other ares for fear of getting my a$$ chewed or ruining a park for other people that have been detecting it successfully for some time. I've been sticking to the bark playgrounds for just that reason. I saw somewhere a device that looks like a caulking gun that apparantly removes a "Plug" of soil. Any tactics or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Idaho PRB

Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome aboard, Idaho! I remember one of my first posts when I asked the same questions. With practice, your pinpointing skills will rapidly improve. My plugs are about three inches in diameter now as opposed to the craters I was digging in the beginning!

Keep practicing!

OP
OP
Idaho PRB

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Ace 250
Thanks,
My pinpointing skills are getting much better. My wife and I searched through some soil we removed to add gravel in our drive tonight. Found a target at all but 2 locations. We are using a 1/2" screen to sift through the "Target area" and only digging about a 5" diameter circle 6"deep. Something in every screen , just about anyway. Do any of you use a screen? We found a few coins and some trash but nonetheless, hitting our targets. Had fun. ;D

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
I just started not to long ago and was thinking all them same things you are about the lawn. All the "craters" I dug are healed up now. Then if you put that sod on right and tap it in with your foot, kindda conect it with the outer sod and smash it together with your foot it dont take long for it to lookk back to normal. I have never used any kind of screen or sifter yet, although I see where in some cases it would come in handy. But for the most part I just use a piece of tablecloth I cut off..(dont tell the wife) To scoop the dirt on as not to get it on the lawn and to keep your target in a place easier to find. Then after I lay down the cloth I lay the loop of the detector on the cloth and each little shovel full of dirt I throw passes under the detector, when it beeps I know I found the target. That way I dont have to keep getying up and checking if I got it out of the hole yet lol. Like I said i am still a newbie and still learning. But this has been easy for me and usually I can move pretty quick doing it this way. I dont think Id have much use for a locater type device, it would just be more stuff to carry. My yard is where I got all my practice, and most other places ive been the lawn isnt all that great to begin with. All I can say is dont get in a hurry if you go to nice park or fancy yard, take your time, do surgery on the lawn lol. I have gotten compliments on the way I fix my holes. Even though it takes longer it makes me feel better, and totally increases my chances of comeing back. Soon you will be a pro at fixing the lawn, replacing the plugs! They heal quickly. Just putting my 2 cents of newbie stuff in lol. Good luck on your next hunt! Looking forward to seeing you finds :)

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Welcome to the forum Idaho.As haupin mentioned , your pinpointing skills will greatly
improve your plugs. Practice makes perfect. You'll be an old pro in no time.
Best of luck to you on your new addiction.
HH!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The deeper the plug the better the chance the grass will keep. Fill in the cut line with dirt. Put in the hole as much dirt as you take out, including rocks.

HH!!

Attachments

• digdeep.jpg
    digdeep.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 273
  • digdeep.jpg
    digdeep.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 207

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hi all, I always cut a "c" shaped trap door plug, leaving the sod attached on one side. This seems to work very well, or my yard would look like a mine field!!!!! So far no dead spots. This isn't always possible in real thinly grassed areas, but other than that works great.
HH Good luck
Greg

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone else suggested carrying a small squirt bottle of water with you.? After replacing the plug give it a good squirt.? Does it work?? I don't know but it can't hurt.? JIM

RedSpey

May 16, 2005
Eugene, OR
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
put a little (emphasize little) fertilizer in the water in the bottle. Keep the nitrogen on the low side (a 16-16-16 fertilizer) and you shouldn't burn anything up.

D

DEEP NORTH WOODS

drink lotts of beer when Detecting get the job done all in one ;D

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
If you can't get the hang of using a probe, use the smallest coil your machine will take. It will make pinpointing the target much easier and the plug will be a lot smaller. I never could get the hang of a probe, so just detect after a good rain, in the woods, or use a small coil.

T

T-Rex

you could use a very sharp knife to cut your plug w/o damaging roots too bad, but be careful, especially if kids come around...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread