Detecting trip with crazyjarhead, We had our Wheaties

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
OK, so it wasn't today's finds, more like last Sunday's hunt. Ron invited me up to hunt with him once again and I gladly accepted. He had gained permission to detect another old place. Through the fog and drizzle, this one appeared to be little more than a tar paper shack but with many outbuildings. On his previous trip here he had dug numerous wheat pennies. We began digging targets and discovered either wheats, nails or harmonica reeds. I was envisioning some hobo looking guys sitting around playing their harmonicas and reaching into their thread bare clothes to discover once again the few pennies in their pockets had fallen through the holes. Or perhaps it was a game of pitching pennies..........EVERYWHERE. But not a nickel nor a dime nor a quarter would be let loose upon the soil of this mini farm. We then packed our bags and headed to an old park that Ron had some decent results at with injuns and wheats. I took an exploratory loop around the perimeter of the park and managed a '59 memorial, a '42 wheat some clad and some more nails. It seems that a storm, a tornado perhaps, had hit a nail factory in Ron's area at some time and scattered them across the land. I'm talking good nails with coin like readings, not your mamby-pamby low tone iron type signals. We felt as though we were against the clock to find something decent before nightfall. We went to the site of his half dime discovery. Did I mention the weather? Cool, breezy, foggy and scattered showers. Mid morning the wind was Southerly and rather warmish. At the last hunt site before dark, it switched to the North and began to howl. A nice frosty Arctic breeze. My first target came quick, a small crotal looking bell. Next a very deep flying eagle cent.......I mean wheat >:( and then another. The next half hour or 45 minutes was a mixture of wandering and wondering. Finally on my way back to the car to escape the bitter wind, I dug a nice seated liberty dime......I mean a '45 merc >:( ;D :thumbsup:
IM000794.jpg

IM000795.jpg

IM000796.jpg

Upvote 0

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Nice finds!
You got me ...............twice. Glad you had some warm weather there. It made it to around 32 here on last Saturday, but now it's just plain cold with maybe 8" of new powder on the way. Damnit!
Get that seated!
Mike

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the nice time and skunking me for the only silver :icon_pirat: Looks like snow tonight so i don't know if you want to do an arctic hunt on sat or sun ???

P

Pentico

Getting out this time of year is a feat itself.
Congrats on the digs.
Oh and glad you were there to keep CJH in line! lol
He is a wild man with the Ace 250.

DN

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Denver Nuggets said:
Congrats on the digs.

DN

Thanks DN. Not a wild man, a crazy man ;D

S

seger98

NIce finds! Am I to take it that someone beat Crazyjarhead in detecting? ;D ;D

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
mikewaz said:
Nice finds!
You got me ...............twice. Glad you had some warm weather there. It made it to around 32 here on last Saturday, but now it's just plain cold with maybe 8" of new powder on the way. Damnit!
Get that seated!
Mike
Thanks Mike, It wasn't the greatest weather, but it'll do. I have some snow now and a potential for much more on the way. >:(

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
SilverDreams said:
Glad you ended your day with some silver! :)
Thanks, I used to not quit until I found silver or at least an injun or something, so I'm glad I managed to pull one out on the way to the car. ;D

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
crazyjarhead said:
Thanks for the nice time and skunking me for the only silver :icon_pirat: Looks like snow tonight so i don't know if you want to do an arctic hunt on sat or sun ???
Ron, I wouldn't call it a skunk, after all you pulled the half dime previously from that yard. Up until the merc we were pretty even. I'd like to detect Sunday, but Mother Nature may try to stop us. >:(

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Denver Nuggets said:
Congrats on the digs.

DN
It is a treat to hunt this time of year in OH and I have to say that CJH is a top Ace....detectorist. I made the mistake of thinking I could follow him on one of his permissions with my CZ5 and dig what he missed......NO WAY! He cleaned her out.

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
seger98 said:
NIce finds! Am I to take it that someone beat Crazyjarhead in detecting? ;D ;D
One merc is all I can say, and a '45 to beat. He stays right with me on finds.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey, Dayton, you got your first silver of the year there?

Is this the last hunt for a while, or are you going to brave the weather?

Congrats,

CAPTN SE
Dan

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve,

You had a nice hunt there and kept CrazyJarhead out of trouble for the afternoon. Anytime you find silver is a good day. Best is hunting with a friend.

SKD

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Captn_SE said:
Hey, Dayton, you got your first silver of the year there?

Is this the last hunt for a while, or are you going to brave the weather?

Congrats,

CAPTN SE
Dan
I think you're correct, the last silver I remember finding was at my honeyhole and I think that was New Year's Eve day. I think I might have to brave the weather, I can't quit 'til the ground refuses to budge. ;D

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
daytondigger said:
Denver Nuggets said:
Congrats on the digs.

DN
It is a treat to hunt this time of year in OH and I have to say that CJH is a top Ace....detectorist. I made the mistake of thinking I could follow him on one of his permissions with my CZ5 and dig what he missed......NO WAY! He cleaned her out.

Thanks Steve for being so blunt ;D

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SoreKneesDayton said:
Steve,

You had a nice hunt there and kept CrazyJarhead out of trouble for the afternoon. Anytime you find silver is a good day. Best is hunting with a friend.

SKD

No trouble here Terry. Just a little ornery ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread