detecting

DLNinNC

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2004
I have been watching this forum for a while .....and like it ! ... I would like to know what will work the best to locate shipwrecks in th nc waters ? side scan ? which one , a mag ? which one ? or will I be better of leasing something like this and where ?. I don't wan't to write to much, I may expose all of my ignorance. I have searched a bit , however I pretty much think you guys know what's up. I will be looking forward to your responses Dave in NC .OBX

O

oldfart

Depends on what you are trying to find, the following comments are based on using Magnetometer for steamship wrecks for commercial copper salvage.
If you seek steamships it is easy to differentiate between a wreck and small objects, even a small steel freighter is detectable from several hundred feet whilst small objects will be very localised.
If your area has carried a lot of traffic the ratio of known to unknown wrecks may well be 1 known to 4 unknown, this based on area N Ireland to Glasgow which carried steamship traffic from the earliest time of steam. Other areas may be less productive, try the rocks and reefs close inshore (30ft or less low water depth) wrecks in this depth are well broken up and easy to dive on.

OP
OP
D

DLNinNC

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2004
thanks people , I think I will make my case a little more clear .I'm a partner in a dive shop .we are looking for wrecks to dive/explore . One of our captn's is a life long commercial fisherman like was his father and his father ....long time fisherman in the territory. we have plenty of drags from net fishing and tales galore , however ,I thought we could clarify some of these locations better without actually diving for discovery.as some days are not all the best for vis in this region, if anyone knows which would work the best , I have been to most all the web sites and studied a little on these, I would like someone with recent experience to give some insight on which one could do the job least expensively, but accurately , someone stated it is an art to reading side scan projections , all I have seen are 3D like pictures. any insight with you experience before I dive into this endeavor I will be gratefull for Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread