Detector ADVERTISING and the FUTURE of our Hobby...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I've been thinking about this for a while now:

One of the things that detector companies do that strikes me as a double-edged sword...

is how they advertise.

They've realized that you can't really sell a detector as Exercise.  :D

That you can't really sell a detector as Family Time  ::)

You can't use SEX to sell one.  :o

so...you market it as a TREASURE finder.  "Buy our product and you'll find RICHES."     :icon_king:

and the public sees that...

and some of them buy detectors...

(running the risk of becoming disillusioned when the realization that grubby pennies and dimes aren't the stuff dreams are made of)

but some of them become more private about their yards,

their fields,

and their property in general

and the others that told us "Yes" might start to wonder what on earth we're finding on their property...

what GOLD BARS and PIRATE TREASURE that would make us eager to spend hours digging holes in the dirt

(which they might think of as Work rather than Play anyhow).

Today's Thought:  Detector companies should be careful about how they market their product,

because even though the public keeps their detector sales going--the public also keeps their customers' hobby going.

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Whites TV commercials the most.............you can see whats in the ground before you dig it! I still laugh to my gut hurts everytime I see it. They try and tell people if you see a ring icon on the screen that's what you are going to dig up. I wonder how many people have been fooled by that TV ad and bought one and the machine ends up in the closet never to be used again. I love there machines but I look at there advertisement as a big lie just to sucker newbies into buying there machines. SHAME ON YOU WHITES!!!!!!!

If a company used a girl with huge amounts of silicone in her body and wearing a bikini that was made out of less cotton than whats in the top of an aspirin bottle they could not built those detectors fast enough. They would sell fast! I know there is many female diggers out there but I think the hobby is for the most part male. I mean no offense to the lady's on the forum.

KFB

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's my ad for metal detectors

Do you enjoy digging in the dirt, getting sweaty and attacked by bees, mosquito's, chiggers, ticks, "ants in your pants", and poison ivy?
If you have ever wanted the geeky look of wearing headphones with a bulging belt strapped around you but didn't know how to get it, then you are in luck. We have a special offer today to make your dreams come true. Right out of the box we can guarantee you all the pull tabs, nails, bottle caps, tin foil, and rusty stuff you can dig. Imagine having boxes full of your favorite trash. Wait if you call right now we will also send you the plastic digging tool, because what day would be complete without the frustration of knowing this composite tool cannot break through the hard ground. But wait, theres more, if you call in the next 5 minutes we will include this cheesy cloth pouch with our logo printed across it. It enhances your geek look, and spills out everytime you bend over to dig, because we know you want the thrill of having to find the stuff all over again. So order one today and let your adventure begin.

Disclaimer: this product may find things other than pull tabs and nails, it may also find pennies, and other change. These are common side effects and usually go away after a few months. Other more serious side effects may include, finding a ring, or something else of value. This only occurs once in a long while so the side effects will reside. One out of every billion may accidentally uncover a cache , but do not worry the state or the government will quickly dispose of it for you. So do not wait orders yours today that way your spouse actually will have a reason to yell at you.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txkickergirl said:

Do you enjoy digging in the dirt, getting sweaty and attacked by bees, mosquito's, chiggers, ticks, "ants in your pants", and poison ivy?
If you have ever wanted the geeky look of wearing headphones with a bulging belt strapped around you but didn't know how to get it, then you are in luck. We have a special offer today to make your dreams come true. Right out of the box we can guarantee you all the pull tabs, nails, bottle caps, tin foil, and rusty stuff you can dig. Imagine having boxes full of your favorite trash. Wait if you call right now we will also send you the plastic digging tool, because what day would be complete without the frustration of knowing this composite tool cannot break through the hard ground. But wait, theres more, if you call in the next 5 minutes we will include this cheesy cloth pouch with our logo printed across it. It enhances your geek look, and spills out everytime you bend over to dig, because we know you want the thrill of having to find the stuff all over again. So order one today and let your adventure begin.

Disclaimer: this product may find things other than pull tabs and nails, it may also find pennies, and other change. These are common side effects and usually go away after a few months. Other more serious side effects may include, finding a ring, or something else of value. This only occurs once in a long while so the side effects will reside. One out of every billion may accidentally uncover a cache , but do not worry the state or the government will quickly dispose of it for you. So do not wait orders yours today that way your spouse actually will have a reason to yell at you.

Txkicker, YOU ROCK! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

15 years after I ordered my first machine, it was still going strong--but the "apron" was long gone--and the plastic coin probe snapped in half :D

-Buckles

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
txkickergirl said:

Yep! That pretty much sums it up. :thumbsup:

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greydigger said:
Truth in advertizing... I like it TX !

I want to see the Whites commercial where the screen reads quarter or half dollar with a killer tone and after you break the halo a big old rusty nail comes out of the ground followed by you can own this machine for a thousand dollars!

KFB

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kindafoundabuckle said:
I want to see the Whites commercial where the screen reads quarter or half dollar with a killer tone and after you break the halo a big old rusty nail comes out of the ground followed by you can own this machine for a thousand dollars!

KFB

Break the Halo, Burst the Bubble, Shatter the Dream... Like that'll ever happen. We all know that every single "Dollar" signal is indeed a Morgan Dollar.

:D

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Quarter has never lied to me and nails are always minus VDS's

But what do I know?

Never seen a $ and never got one either. ( except for my "cheap chinese machine" )

Someone said " If it beeps, dig it"

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuckleBoy said:
kindafoundabuckle said:

KFB

Break the Halo, Burst the Bubble, Shatter the Dream... Like that'll ever happen. We all know that every single "Dollar" signal is indeed a Morgan Dollar.Not so.I got a dollar signal last year and in the hole was a seated half and two seated quarters[makes a dollar] along with old iron nails and 7 strips of brass.Almost didn't dig because the tone wasn't as sharp as it should be.And some times you might think your getting a dime but if the bar graph don't hit the top it's a rusty bear cap.Roger. I agree with what your saying.

:D

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
THIS IS TRUELY THE STUFF THAT MAKES YOU LAUGH YOUR DONKEY OFF- L O L
:thumbsup: :tongue3: :thumbsup: :tongue3: :thumbsup: :tongue3: :thumbsup: :tongue3:

M L HUDSON

B

BIG61AL

Every metal detector instructional has the guy digging out a sliver halve or dollar on the very first target found....right!

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get TV commercials advertising Metal Detectors over there? Not seen that in the UK ever!

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
One of the dealers near me would lay a detector on the counter turn in on and wave penny or a dime in front of the head and it would be amazing how far away any machine he had would pick up that penny or dime. As long as you didn't realize he had that big honkin gold ring on his finger. When the ID machines came out that little trick didn't work so well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread