Detector Advice Needed

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to buy my first detector and I am leaning heavily toward a Minelab X terra 70.

Does anyone have other suggestions? Tesorro LST? Whites MXT/GMT/DFX/M6? or ????

It needs to be stong on gold and be able tofind coin as well. Auto ground balance is desired.
Less complicated is better.

I have used a friends Goldmaster and it's not friendly for me...but I use it infrequently.

Will I go wrong with the X70?

Upvote 0

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
X70 is a fine machine, every manufactor has fine machines, it takes pratice to learn any of them and learn how it talks to you

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Just about everybody and his brother is buying the Minelab 70. Everyone tells me it's a winner.

I know for a fact the Minelab Sovereign GT is excellent.

Minelab just makes a quality product and that's the bottom line.

Tesoros are also very good.

The MXT is a super winner.

All those you listed are good machines.

But I still think when it comes to the best all-round detector the GT rules (my personal opinion). If I can own two machines I'd own the GT and Tesoro Silver uMax. :thumbsup:

But again, I'm sure you'll like the 70.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
All the machines you listed are great. You can't go wrong with any of those. But my first choice as a "does it all well" machine is the Xterra 70.

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
I think you would be very happy with the X-70. The thre 18.75 kHz coils are fantastic on gold. They will pick up nuggets and even the fine gold chains that others will miss. The TID is very helpful and gives a very good indication that the target will be a good one or junk. The tracking GB works excellent. For the price, you get a detector that does many things well. Go to www.findmall.com and look at the FAQFAQ section on the X-Terra forum. There is a lot of information about the 70 to be had there. If you buy the 70, the FAQFAQ section will give you a big head start before ever taking the detector out to the field.

Good hunting, John K

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i liked the xt-70 with the DD coils, i had the 50 and didnt really like it [all metal mode], seamed like a good coin hunter, the 70 is very versitile

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have only gotten to use a 70 once for about 15 mins but I liked it. My sister has a 30 and while it is not the same as the 70 it is a great machine.

I can say that with my Minelab, going out and not finding at least one silver on a promising site is becoming a rarity for me.

Minelabe makes good machines and I think you would be happy with a 70.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread