Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm getting better odds with the F2

I keep track of my finds using a simple spread sheet, and these are the odds I come up with.
I'm comparing the F2 finds to a $750+ detector I owned in 2006 that was stolen. I won't mention the name of the high dollar machine for fear of being stoned.

F2 (2 week total)
$.25 1 in 6 17.3%
$.10 1 in 4 23%
$.05 1 in 7 13.5%
$.01 1 in 2 46.1%

2006 machine (6 month total)
$.25 1 in 22 4.5%
$.10 1 in 6 16.8%
$.05 1 in 9 10.7%
$.01 1 in 1 67.7%

I remember 2006 being a dry year and the past 2 weeks around here it's been getting pretty dry also.
It's obvious that the F2 likes silver coins and coins in general. I didn't need a spread sheet to tell me that because it really hits on coins.

As I think back on the machine I was using in 2006 I remember I spent a lot of time playing with the settings and that could have some effect on the numbers. It will be interesting to see if the numbers change for the F2 after 6 months. The difference in quarters I hope keeps at 1 in 6.

Also this year I added 2 new category's one being trash dug and the other being called keepers. I didn't include those 2 category's in this post.

Upvote 0

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Re: I'm getting better odds with the F2

I've heard mixed reviews on the F2. Been thinking about buying my daughter one.

Nice totals BTW

OP
OP
Coin Digger

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

While this is still fresh in my mind, here are the numbers I’m getting on my machine. There real close to the manual.
I have my Lesche marked to check depth.

Quarter: 81 - solid at any depth. My deepest so far is 3.5”

Dime/ Copper cent: 71-72 down to 3” jumps into the quarter range briefly after 3”.

Zinc: Mid 50’s to mid 60’s down to 2”-3”, jumps into dime range the deeper it goes.

Nickel: 30 to 33 may briefly jump to 34 at an inch or less, 28 to 32 after 2”.
It’s my favorite to find and the hardest. My deepest to date is 5.25” and with a dime in the same hole. You’ll also dig every beaver tail you come across. But where there’s beaver tails you’ll also find the older coins.

Pull tabs for the most part give off unstable numbers, coins tend to read steady and a few odd pull tabs. I’ll dig a solid pull tab number just because there’s so few of them in the pull tab range, hoping for that keeper.

The unit’s depth meter is way off at times but that’s no biggy because during pin pointing the sound is a better indicator as to depth. Louder closer

I notch out iron and foil mostly, in real trashy areas I notch out pull tabs and maybe zinc.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

I am still a firm believer that you can take 10 detectors from the cheapest Radio Shack to the best Whites or Minelab or Garrett, etc. and the cheapest detector will find about 90 % of what the most expensive detector will find. It's that elusive remaining 10% we buy the top end detector for. A little more depth and better information about a target.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

I had the F2 and the depth was not great but acceptable for a $200 machine.

What I didn't like was the target IDs.

Wheat cents at 4 inches read IRON.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread