mooser00

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2009
ontario
Detector(s) used
cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi i am a newly retired guy that bought a used cibola metal detector.Iam having a hard time with the tone on this machine as i have some hearing problems.This
machine seems to hit hard on nickel coins and pull tabs sound like good silver coin hits to me.When i try and get rid of all pull tabs and just get silver coins the detection depth seems to suffer. Is there another brand of detectors that hits hard on silver coins and has more in seperation between pull tabs and silver coins.A machine with 2 tones that do not sound the same,good depth, with a meter or not and is easy to learn or operate. (or am i dreaming)

painless

Mar 2, 2009
Central TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 - Teknetics Delta
mooser00 said:
Hi i am a newly retired guy that bought a used cibola metal detector.Iam having a hard time with the tone on this machine as i have some hearing problems.This
machine seems to hit hard on nickel coins and pull tabs sound like good silver coin hits to me.When i try and get rid of all pull tabs and just get silver coins the detection depth seems to suffer. Is there another brand of detectors that hits hard on silver coins and has more in seperation between pull tabs and silver coins.A machine with 2 tones that do not sound the same,good depth, with a meter or not and is easy to learn or operate. (or am i dreaming)

Test drive someone's Garrett Ace 250. I bet you like, and the price is right.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rtrick to being successful with a tesoro is knowing the sounds it makes over certain targets. Do you have a test garden to practice with? Maybe you need a screen that tells you what you are digging? I am about deaf myself but use a tesoro but hunt mostly relics.
I am sure some good people on here will be able to help you.
HH
TnMtns

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
It would depend on how much you are willing to spend. There are a lot of different machines out there. I have a Cibola but mainly relic hunt so pull tabs aren't that much of a problem. Also there are a lot of different type of soil. In some of the worst minierlized soils we have around here in Va the Ciabola loses depth. I would check out local dealers and see what they have to offer in the price range you are willing to spend. Good luck.

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Yeah, I agree with VAYank.
You would need a detector that displays TID codes.
On my White's MXT nickels are always code 18 to 20, while
pull tabs are usually a 37, but can range from high 20's to low 40s.
In a nutshell, the codes easily distinguish between silver from junk.
If costs are a concern, go with the ACE 250, as it has the
ID values, and usually sells for just over $200.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread