How could I find it?

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
My goal next year is to find a silver dollar or half dollar. My metal detector 'Whites Classic 5id ' does not find silver that often. I was thinking of getting the 1,100 dollar MXT metal detector for Christmas" my parents". So what your tips be if I don't get the new metal detector? I have two locations set up i just need to know what to do..

K

Kentucky Kache

Hunt old home sites, or old schools...around old churches, and old picnic spots.
Here's a thought. Get out the old pictures of your grandparents. Notice the houses in the background. Find out where those old houses were located.

BTW, unless it's gone up lately, the MXT doesn't cost that much.

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
Sorry dude there house burnt down in New York, more like my five-year-old dad burnt it down. They do have picture but its most in NY area. I have two very old houses from the Civil War and a church..

Kentucky Kache said:
Hunt old home sites, or old schools...around old churches, and old picnic spots.
Here's a thought. Get out the old pictures of your grandparents. Notice the houses in the background. Find out where those old houses were located.

BTW, unless it's gone up lately, the MXT doesn't cost that much.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Your 5 year old dad burned the house down and you are 14. Sorry I had to do it. See me smiling?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its not the machines fault *( the machine you got is just fine --it can and will find silver if working properly --ie its not damaged-- you like many folks blame the machine when silver / gold finds are hard to come by -- honestly silver finds are not all that common often you gotta work fer em-- a gold coin next to impossible in most cases -- rich folks were the only ones with "big money" -- gold coins ) if your not putting it over silver / gold items no metal detector is going to find any simple as that --no machine can find stuff on its own -- thus YOU play the major role in what your machine "finds" depending upon where you take it to -- location , location, location * is the key to old silver / gold coin finds -- first off it has be a location used when silver / gold coinage was still commonly in use * second it neededs to have had a fair bit of traffic --a good bit of folks there using it or bussiness of sort normally -- remember this too -- a $1 silver coin was a full days wages back then --- it would be like losing a $100 bill today value wize --50 cents a $50 bill --folks would indeed look for em and try to find em --it would be a big time loss to lose a days wages.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I think the kid means when his dad was 5 years old ---the dad accidently burnt down the grandparents home in New York , so theres no old "family" home to hunt--

remember its not whats there now *(althought it can be in some cases) but generally speaking what was there in the past* that makes a spot good -- many old places where old homesteads where at are nothing but a pile of rubble now -- but around those old homesteads are where the old coins and relics lurk

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
In stead of rubble i think it would be a huge house or a roller coaster! :laughing7:

ivan salis said:
I think the kid means when his dad was 5 years old ---the dad accidently burnt down the grandparents home in New York , so theres no old "family" home to hunt--

remember its not whats there now *(althought it can be in some cases) but generally speaking what was there in the past* that makes a spot good -- many old places where old homesteads where at are nothing but a pile of rubble now -- but around those old homesteads are where the old coins and relics lurk

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
was speaking in general about old homesteads --not about your grandparents place in new york * -- many of the old homesteads in the "country" are nothing but a old pile of stone rubble in a feild or off to the side of a feild.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Okay, it won't get you a silver dollar, but here are a couple of sites that have higher than average potential for half dollars.

• Pre-1964 parking areas near county and state fairs. These weren't paved, and often the grass was still at least ankle-high even after mowing. The parking fee back in, say, the 40's and 50's, was usually 50¢ or $1. Remember, these were very large areas— they had to be— and even if they've been hunted many times, you can bet the other guys missed at least a few. In some cases, they were on private property adjoining the fairgrounds; so, in places like that, there's a chance they've never been hunted at all. Trust me... I'm not guessing about this one!

• Vacant lots where Christmas trees were sold back when silver was still in circulation. Many of these were fairly grassy, too, and of course some were also covered with snow at the time, making it even easier to lose coins. Locally cut trees were generally only a buck or two, so a lot of quarters and half dollars changed hands. I can remember when this was a popular moneymaker for Scout troops, 4H, FFA, and school classes. Older folks can probably tell you where some of these lots were located in or near your town.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I always blamed my machine for not making finds but the reality of it was that I was making very good finds just not everything that I wanted to find. I set out to upgrade my machine thinking that would help. After I couldn't find what I wanted with that machine I upgraded again. I upgraded until I now have 4 machines. All the while by buddy was smoking my tail with his Ace250. I went back to the Ace250 and took my time with it. I learned to hunt with it. I did this with all of the other machines as well. Learning the machines I had really boosted my finds and my spirits. Another thing that helped me was research. Find the old house places that once stood. Even if the houses are not there does not mean that coins are not there. Living in VA you have a lot of history and you should be able to find good historical maps of the area that show old house places. In my area the majority of of places were houses once stood are nothing more than farm fields. The only way to find these places is with a map. Find out where people gathered. Old churches, parks, swimming holes, fair grounds and any place that lots of people gathered are great places to find lost items.
There are times I come home without much to show for my efforts but I know I worked the area over good.
If you are not willing to put time in to learn a machine there is no other machine that will help you. You will always blame the machine until you learn to use it. I know I went through this. I am finished upgrading to other machines. Also a different coil for the machine you have can make your machine perform differently in different situations. Smaller coils are normally better in trash and larger coils can cover more ground and go deeper.
Take the time learn the machine you have and do research to find places where you have a better chance that someone dropped a coin.

Knowing what I know now I would spend more time with my machine and even buy a different coils to fit my needs. Then again if you are like me you will not be happy until you find out for yourself and buy another machine.

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
Really I've had this one for two years and have gone everywere with it. I want the MXT because it tells you how deep it is and is more sensitive to metal.Plus my cousin or grandmother and my father could use the old one. I would still use the ID.

K

Kentucky Kache

Talk to some of the old folk in your area. They can tell you where people gathered years ago.

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
Larry thought I broke into his house. Richard hates everyone. Allen could help. The Walkers don't know anything. The rest of the people don't know me. The house area where I'm at isn't that old from the 1950s and there were only five houses here. Tell ya what If I can get rid of my cousin at Christmas ill go around and get some spots. Goal 10.

Kentucky Kache said:
Talk to some of the old folk in your area. They can tell you where people gathered years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread