Detector lied to me again.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Had a little time to kill, so I stopped by local park. Picked up some clad and a bunch of junk. Was getting ready to depart and decided to detect a parking area on the way back to my car. Got the 'bottle cap / penny' reading. VDI 70, single bar, strong signal (Whites XLT). Dug up a ring. Nothing fancy, but nice. Appears to be silver but can not see the marking inside the band. Sorry, no pic available.

This is the second time I dug a ring when the detector told me it was 'Bottlecap / Penny'. Makes me think back to the times I did not dig the signal thinking it was just another stinkin Lincoln. Sheesh. Guess you have to dig everything to be sure. Detectors do lie to you. :o

Happy Hunting
and
Merry Christmas to all.

Ray S.

Upvote 0

Willy

That's why I've got about a million pennies. Was out hunting a Forest Service rec. site with a buddy a few weeks ago. A couple of days previously, I was trying to get it through his head that many a ring will read as foil an his settings were too high. Sure 'nuff found a nice little 10ct gold ring. Took it up to him (did some gratuitous crowing) and had him run his detector over it.. not a peep. You got it.. disc'ed out. ..Willy.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
use a lil bit 625 paper thin kiddie ring to fine tune my ace 250 --- to not miss any gold

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
I found a fine wire gold lady's ring that read small tinfoil about 20 years ago. I was usng a Silver Saber too. All detectors lie now and then. Since that time I dig everything that is medium tinfoil and above, regardless of what the detector tells me. I don't mind missing a fine wire gold ring, but wedding bands can read as foil and so can small silver rings.

The only thing that's left now when I'm through (in a swimming hole or older area) is the sweepings and a bit of tiny wire. I clean it like it's something I might have to eat off someday.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
super fine I might miss not nothing of any real size

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the second time I dug a ring when the detector told me it was 'Bottlecap / Penny'. Makes me think back to the times I did not dig the signal thinking it was just another stinkin Lincoln. Sheesh. Guess you have to dig everything to be sure. Detectors do lie to you.
The detector is only showing you what some of the rep. targets could be. The manufactures gave us what many of us wanted and if you only went by the meter you would miss some nice things as targets over lap. Still some guys only want to dig what the detector says it is and they are happy in not thinkin' they have to dig it all. What ever gives us fun........

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a M-6 and to find all the goodies dig every signal from 0 on up on the vdi.. This is very true especially, when at the edge of detection the vdi will read lower than what the target actually is..
Ray

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
The detector is only showing you what some of the rep. targets could be. <<<<<What Sandman said...
The screen is a GUIDE....nothing more. You have to learn to LISTEN also. I have NO screen....just tone. I know what it is before I dig it most of the time....:)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, that's why the very healthy and ambitious of our hobby dig everything. Some even use PI machines.

Back in the 60's - early 80's I used only all-metal mode detectors. I dug everything. I dug more rings in those days than I'd even think of today.

But today with increased concern about digging damage and limitations health-wise, the discriminators are sure nice. But there is no doubt about it, we're missing lots.

I'll bet most of us who have been detecting for over 10 years have missed either a gold coin or very valuable diamond ring and we never knew it.

Badger

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
Michigan Badger said:
Yep, that's why the very healthy and ambitious of our hobby dig everything. Some even use PI machines.

Back in the 60's - early 80's I used only all-metal mode detectors. I dug everything. I dug more rings in those days than I'd even think of today.

But today with increased concern about digging damage and limitations health-wise, the discriminators are sure nice. But there is no doubt about it, we're missing lots.

I'll bet most of us who have been detecting for over 10 years have missed either a gold coin or very valuable diamond ring and we never knew it.

Badger

Right on Badger! That's one of the reasons that I like farm fields around old houses and old schools. Farmers don't mind too much how much junk you pull out of the ground. It's also amazing how much good stuff can come out of an open field!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread