Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It occurred to me that in order to detect intelligently, we need to know what model detectors there were in what decades.

I know that the WW2 mine detector was a great surplus machine post WW2 that started many folks on the hobby, but was there anything else before that, and how about in the 50's? 60's? 70's? 80's? 90's?

A part of the discussion should be the different types, such as BFO, TR, etc.

Does anyone remember what was used when?

Upvote 0

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can tell you what I remember of the 1970’s………

Lots of cheap BFO’s. Lots of brands: Jetco, Relco, Goldak, Bounty Hunter, TreasureRay, D-Tex, etc.. The big four were Whites, Garrett, Fisher, and Compass. Of that group, I believe that only Garrett sold both TR’s and BFO’s, the rest went strictly with the more popular TR’s. It seemed like everyone was swinging a White’s Coinmaster back then. Simple ferrous/nonferrous BFO discriminators were around in the early 70’s. Some manufactures resisted the move to discrimination, stating the still popular argument that “if you don’t dig everything you will miss valuable targets.” Could be that they were just stalling for time until a decent TR discriminator was perfected. By ’75 or ’76, TR’s with adjustable discrimination had taken over the market. A year or two later VLF’s hit the scene. Some say that we haven’t come very far since then……

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Bum Luck

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One recent story that rocked me to the core was from a classmate of mine.

She has a very nice $5 gold piece on a necklace, and one day she told me that her dad found it on an old school lot here in town. It had to have been in the 60's, and so I wonder just how many other places he (and others) hit around here.

I knew him, and he was persistent. And smart.

That's got to be part of our search for good places to hunt.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Bum-luck, it's easy to think that the yester-year hunters (early 1970s and before) had all the luck, virgin sites, easy finds, etc.... But believe it or not, they hey-day of easy-pickens and such were probably the later '70s into the early '80s. Because machine's capable of finding single coins in the '60s were quite crude, hard to use, lacked depth, didn't work in minerals, etc.... So they too struggled for their finds. Unless they were simply in an utterly easy spot (underneath ferris wheels, or right in front of consession stands, etc...)

If you ever talk to guys who coin/relic hunted in the 1960s, they would tell you that even though they might have hunted admittely virgin ghost-towns, they're "take" for the day's hunt might have been only two old coins, for example. Flash forward to the early TR era (early 1970s, with machines like the 77b), and yes, things got better, and again, their "take" for the day hunting the same areas, might be 2 more old coins. Flash forward to the mid to late 70s with TR disc, VLF-all-metal, etc... And again, yes, they'd farm out a few more coins from the same ghost town patch! Flash forward to motion disc era of the later '70s/early '80s, and they'd get another few from the SAME patches. And so forth, and so on, up to the present So you see, even though parks and ghost towns were virgin in the early days, it's all relative to the machine's ability.

I too heard stories from my city, of a fellow who, in '64 -ish appears to have been the first to ever detect some school yards here (blt. 1920's). And yes, it was all silver then, and yes, he found a lot. But in retrospect, it was all mercs and roosies at probably no more than 2" deep. A barber would have been a REALLY good day, and seateds were only what dreams were made of. Contrast to today, nearly 50 years later, and a simple look at the finds forums shows that we're still finding seateds, barbers, etc.... simply because we can go so much deeper now. I started in the mid 1970s, and never even found my first seated till the early 1980s (on account of the older TR all-metal and TR disc. were so slow and cumbersome, and also that we simply didn't have the mind-set and patience for exotic things like demolition site hunting, ruins hunting, etc...). Now it's no big deal to find spanish reales, seateds, etc.... when logic might *seem* to dictate that those very objects were *easier* in the early days. They weren't.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom, you are so right!
It is not the right time at the right place, it is being at the right place.
I have a early vintage 1980's VLF Tesoro which was one of the earliest for the company built with almost the same dials as the high priced Cortez but it does not have a dial or computer assisted circuts with ground canceling but my unit I can set to ground cancil if I want and it does detect "All Metals & Discriminates well, it is a dependable soldier in the field. (The Tesoro people said it is a great Coin Machine that will bring in a ton of coins.) I have recovered a lot of cool artifacts. I was told their was a small gold rush in the 80's where many companys started re-tooling and puting out newer models due to many peoples interest in finding coins & gold.
So early 1980 you can put in your book of the early Tesoro years and Whites getting popular then.
Thank you for this subject/post... Good luck.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Bum Luck said:
It occurred to me that in order to detect intelligently, we need to know what model detectors there were in what decades.
I am not trying to be a wise guy... But in order to detect intelligently .....Why do i have to know what detector's were used in the past ?? I really have to know how to use my modern day detector........ It's like saying to drive my new car with it's automatic transmission intelligently........ I will have to know what model of cars there were in the 1940's 50's 60's.......... Knowing that will not help me drive my new model car or use my new model metal detector.................???????????????????????

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
Bum Luck said:
I am not trying to be a wise guy... But in order to detect intelligently .....Why do i have to know what detector's were used in the past ?? I really have to know how to use my modern day detector........ It's like saying to drive my new car with it's automatic transmission intelligently........ I will have to know what model of cars there were in the 1940's 50's 60's.......... Knowing that will not help me drive my new model car or use my new model metal detector.................???????????????????????

I have to agree with you, Keppy. It would be kinda like needing to know how my tube tv worked with a VHF antenna, so I could 'intelligently' operate my HD flatscreen on a satellite. I just can't see the correlation. That being said, if one wanted to know how the originals worked and the improvements made over the years thanks to the advancements in technology in order to thoroughly understand and talk 'intelligently' about them, that would be needed.

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
How about "pictures" of detectors through the years for those of us who a still relatively new?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Roland58 said:
Keppy said:
Bum Luck said:

I have to agree with you, Keppy. It would be kinda like needing to know how my tube tv worked with a VHF antenna, so I could 'intelligently' operate my HD flatscreen on a satellite. I just can't see the correlation. That being said, if one wanted to know how the originals worked and the improvements made over the years thanks to the advancements in technology in order to thoroughly understand and talk 'intelligently' about them, that would be needed.
Your right Roland58... If the question was put that way it would make sense....... But the way it was put the new hunters that are out there can not intelligently hunt........... For they do not know about the old technology detectors............For all i know i have been doing this about 40 years and do not know about all the older detectors that have been made........... So could be i can't hunt intelligently..........

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
Roland58 said:
Keppy said:
Bum Luck said:

Your right Roland58... If the question was put that way it would make sense....... But the way it was put the new hunters that are out there can not intelligently hunt........... For they do not know about the old technology detectors............For all i know i have been doing this about 40 years and do not know about all the older detectors that have been made........... So could be i can't hunt intelligently..........

We are in a VERY large boat. ;D

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my boat sunk........

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
mlayers said:
my boat sunk........
Sorry about your boat.............

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 977

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what kind it was, but my grandpa had a detector with a wooden coil, (I'm very serious). Might have to google this. I started out on a Garrett BFO and was happy to get 3 inches. Found a lot of half dollars with that one.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some old units. The red one is a Goldak Commander from about 1964. The blue one is a Relco Pacesetter from about 1975.
Both machines are pretty primitive by todays standards. You'd probably try to shoot yourself after trying to use one of these!

Attachments

• S.F. Finds 6-17-11 009.jpg
    S.F. Finds 6-17-11 009.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 1,607
  • S.F. Finds 6-17-11 004.jpg
    S.F. Finds 6-17-11 004.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 509
  • S.F. Finds 6-17-11 005.jpg
    S.F. Finds 6-17-11 005.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 486
  • S.F. Finds 6-17-11 006.jpg
    S.F. Finds 6-17-11 006.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 607
  • S.F. Finds 6-17-11 007.jpg
    S.F. Finds 6-17-11 007.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 1,005
  • S.F. Finds 6-17-11 008.jpg
    S.F. Finds 6-17-11 008.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 1,147
  • S.F. Finds 6-17-11 004.jpg
    S.F. Finds 6-17-11 004.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 366
  • S.F. Finds 6-17-11 005.jpg
    S.F. Finds 6-17-11 005.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 377
  • S.F. Finds 6-17-11 006.jpg
    S.F. Finds 6-17-11 006.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 560
  • S.F. Finds 6-17-11 007.jpg
    S.F. Finds 6-17-11 007.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 938
  • S.F. Finds 6-17-11 008.jpg
    S.F. Finds 6-17-11 008.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 1,102
  • S.F. Finds 6-17-11 009.jpg
    S.F. Finds 6-17-11 009.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 1,195

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started at age 12 in 1975
my first machine was a Compass 94B
then got a Compass 77 with a large coil

I remember the Mighty Mites cheap TR's
the White's G.E.Bs which came after their TR's
took a lot of nerves to use a BFO - it would drive you batty
I won a Daytona detector at a hunt - had a different style box and coil - lot of hype - I never found much with it
I remember the Bounty Hunter Red Baron was a hot machine back then - for nostalgia reasons I found one in mint shape on ebay a few years back - when I turned it on - it burst into flames
the Mark I and Mark IIs that were cheap little TR's
I remember the Bobcats - pretty hot little machine with fat coils
I remember there being such a wide variety of makes and models at hunts
where now a days guys have narrowed down the field

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
In 1960 I hand built my machine,from a diagram in,I think populat electronics. The coil was bare bell wire ,wound arond a square piece of perfboard,mounted on a wood stick. The unit was also on breadboad, made up of What you could buy at radio shack{when theyknewwhat parts were.} This beat against a small transistor radio taped to the handle, no phones. still have it somewhere. Bob

BFO

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT Tesoro Sidewinder Bounty Hunter Professional Bfo Whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember reading in a book at school in 1968 about finding metal by attaching a coin[good conductive type]to the end of a,approximately three foot forked stick.Then you would hold[grip tightly] the two ends of the stick one end in each hand.
You would then walk with the coin end pointing up and when you came to metal the coin end would strongly dip down.Anybody that can witch for water can make this work.I knew someone who could make it work,but it would't work for me.I've known several people who could find water with a plain stick.Some could determine the depth of the water in feet by the measurement from where the stick started to drop to the point where it went down signaling the water source. I personally observed finding a barber dime and indian cent in the same hole,they were down there pretty good.I,d say at least 6 inches.Then another two barber dimes and an 1800s Canadian bank token[separate holes].Also more modern coins and numerous iron artifacts.I think they recommend witch hazel or apple tree wood for stick,but soft maple worked. probably other woods would work.The stick should be freshly cut ,higher moisture content[better conductivity]. This could be the forerunner to BFO.It could be called Vht[v stick,hands,treasure].This was also the original silent search!Has anybody else experienced this? Happy hunting..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread