Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hunt with iron volume off, then you will hear nothing below the discrimination breakpoint, regardless of what tone frequency you set, iron volume is that 120 hz buzz and to hear it you must set iron volume to a level you can hear. Not sure if I am answering your question correctly (I presume you are using discrimination, otherwise you really are only using a 4 tone program). If 4-tone/no discrimination was your intent, then, yes, set the "second" tone breakpoint to 120 hz if you want that to be your faux iron volume. I will say there is no advantage to using a multi-tone program with no discrimination, so I personally would recommend four or five tone with discrimination and using iron volume, instead. Again, it wasn't clear to me whether you intended to use discrimination or not with your multi-tone setup. Also, based on your description, I would use a two-tone program rather than 5 tone if you basically want ferrous and a single tone for any coin. Unless you want to notch out foil trash I would set disc at 10 with iron volume, then set a high tone for everything else above 10 (and you can set a custom notch from 10 up to just below your lowest expected nickel Target ID, which is simpler than setting the other 4 tones to the same tone.

Last edited:

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would this work ?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should work, but I see no reason to jump through all those hoops to avoid using discrimination in multi-tones when Deus provides two-tone with Iron Volume built-in. There is no advantage to running no discrimination if running multitones since iron volume exists. Running disc at 10 or less has no impact on depth. Just my $0.02.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Running iron volume off is ok to do.

Newbies with Deus, I don't recommend running 5 tones coin hunting.

I have never ran 5 tones coin hunting (been using since 2012).

Makes Deus sound more like a pin ball machine IMO.

Max tones I recommend is 4.
I like 3 if using multi tones.

OP
OP
DeepDigs

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank all of you for your input. Here is the program I've been working on, to hit an area about the size of 3 football fields. The area i'll be hunting has been camped on/habitated since the late 1800's. In short, its full of all sorts of signals, and due to the lack of time to hunt before the snow flies, my focus will be on finding COINS.

Here is the program i'll be using, and why im set up this way. Again - im not after jewelry or relics - just US coins from the 1800's to present. I cant see any way other than using 5 tones to 1) discriminate at 8 2) hit the coin areas 3) blank out everything else with an "iron" tone to hear the targets im after:

Coil: 9" LF
ID normalization: ON (I know most of you disagree - but to me its easier to learn one set of numbers versus 4)
Ground Balance: Tracking (Ground notch: off)
Sens 92
TX: 2-3, depending on EMI
Frequency: 8
Iron Volume: 00
Reactivity: 2 (dont want to lose depth with 3)
Silencer: 0 (-1 tends to be abit noisy after 1-2 hours at this location)
Audio response: 4-5 (I like to here the deep targets cleanly due to wind, etc)
Notch: none
Disc:8

Tones:

0-8 (251) Iron
9-55 (251) Missing gold, but not willing to dig hundreds of holes due to time constraints
56-67 (901) Nickels hit 61-62 here - this allows for upward/downward mitigation depending on nickel orientation/depth in the ground
68-79 (251) Pulltab city
80-99 (901) Can easily ID big iron in the 96+ range

By using tones instead of notch, i wont lose depth, and ive basically made this a 2 tone program which i'll need with the number of targets ill be getting per sweep. (2-3 per sweep id say - which may not sound bad until you take that times 5-6 hours) I want it to be black and white. By keeping the ID normalization: ON I can switch frequency w/o affecting my "tone notches". Coins will hit regardless of which frequency im in.

In short, I plan to use the "iron grunt" for anything thats not in the coin range. I realize 251 is not the audio tone for iron, so I wanted to ask which value is assigned to iron on the audio scale, because I could never figure it out in the field, and settled on 251 :) Is it 202 (Ultimate Program) or a different number?

Im all ears for criticism of this program - if you were hunting in similar conditions and your focus was only on US coins from the mid/late 1800's to present (little junk as possible, no focus on jewelry/relics, wanted to utilyze your time for a 2 day weekend hunt) which program would you use, and why?

Really appreciate the input guys :)

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepDigs,

Your program looks fine. With iron volume off, you will not hear anything below the first tone break at the discrimination setpoint of 8 (in other words, you will hear no iron other than the "iron" tone you are using for region below the 2nd tone break). If that is your intent, then you are set.

Couple of additional comments/questions:

Regarding the use of ID NORM - that is a personal choice - the only real reason I am not fan of ID norm is because it is normalized to 18 khz which squashes the upper end of the Target ID range making it difficult to distinguish between types of high conductors. If that doesn't matter, then no problem. As far as the tone breaks are concerned, that is where you can develop your own ID norm approach by setting the tone breaks consistent with the frequency you are running so that regardless of what frequency you are running, the targets will sound the same (even though the target ID's have shifted). Your way of doing it accomplishes the same thing in a different way and keeps the target ID's consistent (though "squashed" as I mentioned before).

Regarding use of notch, I did not understand your reference to losing depth if you use notch vice tones. Notch in no way affects depth as it is merely an audio blanker and not a signal processing filter.

I say go for it, looks like you have a good cherry picking program laid out there.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some good info in here but if I had 2 days to cover that much area I would use the following... It is my go to for coin shooting.

ID normalization: OFF
Ground Balance: Tracking
Sens 88
TX: 2
Frequency: 8
Iron Volume: 00
Reactivity: 2.5
Silencer: 0
Audio response: 4
Notch: none
** Could do 0-40, 50-70 and 98-99 in 8k to help eliminate some tabs, foil, caps and junk to get more coins into your pouch **
Disc: 10
Tones: Full

My ears pretty much tell me whats down there. That's the best part of Full Tones on the Deus. Don't really need that screen. If you like to look, 8 k and ID off make it easy to get an idea of what is under the coil.
Hope this might help you and def let us know what you get from the 2 day hunt.

Good luck! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions