🥇 BANNER Deus elliptical HF finds 400-300 BC gold earring.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys!
I hope everyone is doing great.
Lately I decided to add to my Deus the X35 13inch coil and the HF elliptical one. The idea was to find more deep targets and also the tiny silver coins.
Yesterday, I had the flight at 15.20. At 4.30 I was already fully awake. First I thought it was silly but then I jumped on the car and headed to a new site where I have been only twice.
On my way up I decided to use the X35. Reactivity 0, disc - 6.4, 11khz, slow motion and I could find some deeper targets. Amongst them three silver coins too.
When I was on the top of the hill it was already 10 o'clock. I attached the HF coil, Deus hot, sens 97 and made my way down. I was already half way down and I hadn't found any special stuff but 4-5 silver Coins. It was the first time using it and it was not so easy getting used with the sounds.
It was a new sound for me and I prepared the spade but it was right in the surface. First I thought it was a joke. An ancient gold earring on my hand. Crazy. It happened so quickly that I forgot to turn on the camera.
It's an Illyrian gold earring, 400-300 BC. Probably it had a black stone in it and it was broken. P_20180924_102841_1.jpg
P_20181003_105333_1.jpg
This has been my luckiest day. I found the earring and I didn't loose my flight.
Sorry guys, I have to go. Babies are calling.:laughing9:

Last edited:
Upvote 98

Maximilian

Oct 13, 2014
Montenegro
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Excalibur II,Equinox 800, Goldscan 4...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't check forum for a month and first time i log in i see in banners familiar earning. Very very nice find Vince , and believe it or not it is on my bucket list for 3 years already from first time i saw it but no luck so far.It is from Hellenistic period , the stone on examples i have seen is garnet, and looks fabulous.Images on them vary from ram, lion, Nubian women , there is just few known specimen. Most of them have been find in Hellenistic necropolis in Budva , Montenegro by accident during hotel construction in 1930. Large part of this necropolis was dumped in the sea until they find out what they doing. So every time i go that beach i hope i will find some peace of it. And yes because small gold on the beach i buy also same coil :D . I didn't give up and eventually i will find it too but whole pieces and sets only can be find in graves unfortunately and i avoid that kind of activities. Ur other finds r also cool almost identical to mine, silver Apolonia drahmas, turkish akca, venetian soldino, Ilirian bronze coinage, even some objects r same ... I am little surprised about ilirian bronze coinage so east in Macedonia however i also get few brass Macedonian coins in Montenegro from same period.Advice for next hunt is to try follow water ways from top of gradina_(fort)u will be surprised what water washed out.I would vote banner but u already get it so once more congratulations on great find u make me to believe in dreams.

BenVa68

Mar 9, 2018
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is Amazing! I wish we had those types of historical finds here in the states. I would go back to where it was dug and sift through the dirt surrounding the area in hopes of finding the part that's missing. Worth a shot anyway.

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't check forum for a month and first time i log in i see in banners familiar earning. Very very nice find Vince , and believe it or not it is on my bucket list for 3 years already from first time i saw it but no luck so far.It is from Hellenistic period , the stone on examples i have seen is garnet, and looks fabulous.Images on them vary from ram, lion, Nubian women , there is just few known specimen. Most of them have been find in Hellenistic necropolis in Budva , Montenegro by accident during hotel construction in 1930. Large part of this necropolis was dumped in the sea until they find out what they doing. So every time i go that beach i hope i will find some peace of it. And yes because small gold on the beach i buy also same coil :D . I didn't give up and eventually i will find it too but whole pieces and sets only can be find in graves unfortunately and i avoid that kind of activities. Ur other finds r also cool almost identical to mine, silver Apolonia drahmas, turkish akca, venetian soldino, Ilirian bronze coinage, even some objects r same ... I am little surprised about ilirian bronze coinage so east in Macedonia however i also get few brass Macedonian coins in Montenegro from same period.Advice for next hunt is to try follow water ways from top of gradina_(fort)u will be surprised what water washed out.I would vote banner but u already get it so once more congratulations on great find u make me to believe in dreams.

Thanks buddy. You have been very explicit. I've only seen them on museums and only twice and I have never thought that I could find one. It has never been on my bucket list neither. I think that it is older than Hellenistic period. At least 3 or 4 centuries before. I said it was my luckiest day because an earrings like that on the surface is impossible. First of all I don't think that someone could loose a gold earrings. If it was funeral decoration, than how did it came out? I've been thinking about the fact that maybe as a result of tomb thieves but there are no signs of illegal activities and no signs of ancient graves. The fact is that during ottomans invasion, the archeological excavations has been prohibited. As result, the most part of ancient cities is at least 2 - 3 Mt down. That means that the graves are at least 4 meters deep. The x35 coil is great. I have found Nd even some tiny targets with it. On 4khz, react 0, audio resp 4, sens 97 i have found deep targets on the same area where I searched with the 9inch coil.
Best wishes buddy

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is Amazing! I wish we had those types of historical finds here in the states. I would go back to where it was dug and sift through the dirt surrounding the area in hopes of finding the part that's missing. Worth a shot anyway.
Thanks Ben
I will. When I found I thought it was only luck but now I'm convinced to get back there. :metaldetector:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread