DFX: 1400DD or Super 12?

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've made up my mind to buy a new coil for my DFX, but I'm having a problem deciding which will be best for me. I'm looking at either a 1400DD or the Super 12.

Expectations: I want added depth but don't want to loose sensitivity to smaller targets. Not necessarily small jewelry, but dimes, pennies or tokens. I want the added coverage for hunting large areas with little trash. Probably mostly relic hunting, but I might use it in some areas like football fields and parks.

I seen it posted, several times, that the Super 12 adds about 2", and the 1400DD adds about 4" in depth compared to the stock 9.5. Anyone care to confirm/deny this? Here in Kansas I've not really ran into a high mineral soil where I hear the 1400DD excels, but I also hear it's pretty heavy.

For those who use the DFX and happen to have used both coils, which did you prefer, and why? I realize each has it's "better than the other" conditions, but if you had to pick only one, which would it be?

My problem is, I make up my mind only to see people getting rid of the one I thought I wanted to buy the other. Then I see people posting about how much they liked the one everyone else is selling. I get the feeling I'm missing something.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
the DD 1400 is the heaviest coil I know of and "alot" heavier that the 12. I don't have the 12 but do have the DD1400, 9.5 and use the a 5.3 the most. It gives me great results but by it being so small you have to swing more to cover the same area. The 1400 does take some getting used to swing as it is a different swing due to balance etc.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D go to kelly co and get supper 18 its light and goes deep

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I had the Jimmy Sierra 12.5" Hotshot

on a M6 & couldn't believe how much better it worked than the stock coil. Another 2" & it also picked up better coins on edge & tiny jewelry. The White's 12.5" concentric should do about the same. And the round concentrics are easy to pinpoint with. I don't have any experience with the large DD. HH, George (MN)

George W

Greenie
May 16, 2008
It depends on what and where your hunting.. I have the 1400 DD. It is heavy but I can still swing it all day with out issues.. It does a great job on small targets rings coins and is a killer with deep dimes.. I use the coil as my primary coil and leave it on my DFX.. My wife just ordered a MXT 300 so I'll have the 12" super coil to try out.. But my stock coil gets little if any use after I got some D D coils.. also have the 6x10 DD.. George

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the dd 8 by 14 the way to go, does it multy mark object iherd it goes deeper than the supper 12

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread