DFX acting up - need advice

sqzdog

Dec 28, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's TDI
I took my DFX out to a camp yesterday and it is now making this high-pitched tone whenever I come across any metal target. I am running it in the stock RELIC program with a super 12 coil. I thought my coil might have been crapping out on my so when I got home I put the stock one on it and it does the same thing. Doesn't appear to do it in any other programs.

Is it possible something got modified in the stock program? I didn't think you could change those??

Anyway, would love to know what the problem is. It sounds like the same tone the "overload" makes.

I have tried it in this camp and at home with the same results.

GroundSnooper

Mar 10, 2007
St. Paris, Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, MXT, GMT. Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't imagine how the program could have been modified if you didn't do it but have you tried leaving the detector on and removing the battery to reset to factory mode? Also if it still does it try manually turning down the AC sensitivity and gain to see what happens. I assume it is just the relic program doing it? I sure don't know a heck of a lot about my DFX but those would be the first place I would start.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Three or four things you can check for yourself:

See if the coil connector makes wierd noises if you jiggle it and the detector is running. If so, you have a faulty coil connector at the box.

Second, if you are using inferior batteries or the battery connectors inside are loose you could have a poor connection, and hence, not enough power to drive the circuitry and it wouldn't modulate properly.

The next thing to check is if there was any water that got into the electrical or electronics parts, including any touchpads or knobs or switches.

The last thing to check is to see if when you [shake] the detector that it makes any wierd noises while you are COMPLETELY CLEAR of any metal objects (farther than 5 feet away from them). If shaking it causes wierd noises, you may have accidentally dropped it or bumped the box against something somewhere.

Other than that and returning it to factory settings, it would then likely need to be sent into White's for a PC/signal check and/or repair. It sounds like you could have a faulty wiring or connection problem or high contact resistence though, just off the top of my head.

DON'T OPEN THE BOX! That will void your warrantee!

Good luck, and HH.

EasyMoney

2 many Hobbies

Mar 8, 2007
Westchester New York
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT pro,Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 350, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try to reboot your DFX by removing the battery after you turn on your detecto.You could find this info in your owners manual

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That high pitched tone is from metal close to the surface. Relic mode uses MIXED-MODE which is ALL metal and motion mode combined. All metal goes much deeper and gives a zip or high pitch sound when going over metal it magnifies the sound especially when stopped over the target. Its like pinpointing.

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
If you were using your super 12,I think all you have to do is turn down your sens a little. I had trouble with mine to. Either your sens or your preamp gain turned down should do it. Mike.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
dewcon4414 said:
That high pitched tone is from metal close to the surface. Relic mode uses MIXED-MODE which is ALL metal and motion mode combined. All metal goes much deeper and gives a zip or high pitch sound when going over metal it magnifies the sound especially when stopped over the target. Its like pinpointing.

I really think this is it. Which means your problem is not really a problem, just pick a program other than Relic or turn off the mixed mode option. (also be sure V.C.O is off)

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check to be sure your pin-point trigger is not forward.

Metal between coil and cover?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread