DFX Do you use Tone ID pros and cons?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am almost done reading DFX Gold Method for the first time through and Clive talks about subtle differences in the audio indications of targets and I had emailed him to ask if these nuances held true with Tone ID ON or was it only true in single tone. Basically he said learn the machine and don't worry about all using tone id (to noisy). Now I like tone ID on the Coinmaster GT, but that only has 9 tones.. not 191.. But not having to look at the screen as you know that sound of particular targets are trash make it a lot more fun at times.
Who uses tone ID and I guess if you use it, you like it? If you don't what don't you like? I know it is a personal preference but other than noisy what are the pros and cons of Tone ID on with the DFX
Yes I know you have full control over the tones on the V series..
Thanks!

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't use it on the DFX as not adjustable so the tones are infinite. 191 different tones are just too much for me in trashy areas.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't use it.
Jim

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried it a few times an learned a few coins would give one tone and another depending on it's orientation.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my DFX for the beach only, and the tone ID is noisy as heck. However it does give characteristic sounds on certain objects at reasonable depth. These characteristic noises will help you id objects by sound alone, even certain pull tabs sound a bit different than others.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Tone ID on my DFX but it can get a little noisy. I like using it because I like to have the tones on my DX-1. I will say that the one tone MXT is quite a bit quieter but you have to watch the screen more. I do love hearing that high tone on the DFX. It gives me a good feeling. I am pretty accustomed to the noisiness of the DFX on Tone ID so it doesn't really bother me. I do better at nickels on the DFX than I do on the MXT and I attribute that to the Tone ID but who knows. I think it's personal preference and you can always turn it off for a while and see if you do better.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have always used the DFX with Tone ID=on, but this spring I'll try it in the off position for an outing or two.

Discriminator

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Whites DFX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I generally alternate between hi-pro and relic, depending upon surrounding area target density and/or trash accumulation. With tone, I listen to the tone frequency (to the point I can discern) and consistency in tone groupings. Silver coin...high tones...consistent. Silver-plated, mixed materials, encrusted......fluctuating tones, with relevant tone grouping and consistency, important. I will open up with tone to get a feel for an area and then switch to relic if sparse enough for deeper detects / as backup info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread