DFX Question About Relic Hunting

sniper-medic

Jun 21, 2007
Mendota, Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT, Spectrum DFX, and White's Spectra VX3
Not sure if this is the correct forum , but here goes. I bought a DFX a few months ago and am getting acquaineted with using it. I have gotten permission to detect a farmers field where supposedly during the civil war, a regiment (Infantry or Cavlary) had camped for awhile. The ground right now has been plowed for the fall and I went out there last week for the first time. I used the pre-programmed mode for relic thinking that would be the best. After an hour of nothing but Whats-It's and square nails, I gave up. Anyone have any suggestions or guidelines about relic hunting, what signals to dog or not to dig.....Thanks a bunch !

Randy

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hate to say this, but freshly plowed fields are terrible until they've been rained on a few times and the voids in the ground start settling out. Your depth just won't be where you need it. Also, you might try turning the discrimination down to minimum and see if that helps with depth. You will probably have to adjust from there, depending on how much iron is in the field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread