Whites Surfmaster II, VLF detector.

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can anyone give me feedback on how this detector performs ? I have a Whites PI that I used in the ocean and I am looking at this Whites for the fresh water rivers here in Missouri to look for rings in the rapids where people dump their canoes I won't be diving with this detector. Its advertised as a VLF detector. It is not made anymore and the model that I am looking at is 3 years old. It has a 3 disc. mode to cancel out iron, pull tabs etc. so I will not have the problems that I currently have with my PI in fresh water. I am just looking for a inexpensive detector to use. Thanks for any responses.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Whites Surf II

This is a Pulse Induction detector and is very good at saltwater beaches and is very deep because it does not need to be ground balanced. However you would go crazy using it in fresh water because of all the tiny pieces of iron which rust away faster in saltwater to make it more useful. Because iron in fresh water rusts away slower you will dig giant holes for a piece of bobby pin or tack. It is easy to operate. Turn it on to the presets and make sure you have a big scoop and strong back.

The detector of choice is still the Minelab Excal or Sov. GT or the Tiger Shark for many of us. The Whites Beach Hunter ID is good too if you get the weighted coil with it. Why Whites makes a water detector with a floating coil is beond me. I think they should ship it with the weighted coil and have the light weight floating one as extra.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Whites Surfmaster II, is not a P.I its a V.L.F based on the CLASSIC II/III

I'ts a great fresh water detector mine did ok on salt beach/ wet sand a little bit of falsing in some wet sand "MR BILL" from Detector Pro on Cape Cod MASS. does some great mod's to this detector...check him out. I loved mine..replaced it with a Beach Hunter ID.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
MO GO HERE YOU'LL FIND SOME INFO

GOOGLE "WHITE'S SURF MASTER II FROM PROTECTIVE TECHNOLOGIES" AT THE TOP OF THE SEARCH RESULTS PAGE THIS SIGHT SHOULD COME UP...CHECK IT OUT.
'

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Mo I got your P.M

Glad I was able to help...if you search around on line you can find the manual for that detector and down load it...Good hunting..get some gold!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread