Diamond

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
So who has heard about the boy in nc finding a 5 karat diamond they say once cut an polished be worth close to 15 grand

David... I have not heard anything about it! Where did he find it at? I have heard that some have been found East and Southeast of Grandfather Mountain.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been there twice (1995 & 1997) and did not find a thing! I went with a friend (Dennis R. "Rocky" Beckner, God rest his soul) in 1997 and he was sick the whole time there (long story). I spent two days on my' hands and knees searching the furrows and hills where they plowed and also dug, sifted and washed a lot of material but nothing. Rocky came out to tell me we had to go, looked down and picked up a .14 carat White Diamond. Man was I PO'ed!

Frank

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I saw the first pic on Aug 12th - boy holding a brown diamond, but your link has more pics and better story - thanks for posting!

OP
OP
D

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
Hey frank do you do any fishing I take my neighbor out on Mondays for few hours if so we can all go

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey frank do you do any fishing I take my neighbor out on Mondays for few hours if so we can all go

I do a little bit of fishing, if and when I have time! It seems that ever since I retired, my daughters or at least my two oldest ones, plan a lot of things to do for them without asking me first. So, everything is spur of the moment "Dad can you do this, dad can you do that, dad can I borrow your' big truck". It seems that every time that I plan something for me to do, they always have more pressing issues that dad must help out with. Although, my' pic shows two Hybrid Bass that I caught, my real passion when it comes to fishing, is fishing for Trout!

Frank

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been to that place many of times...and its a great place for the whole family....Whats funny about it is, How I spent about 6 hours digging and bring bukets back to sift thru, didnt find any diamonds, just alot of quartz and other mineral rocks....and as we were leaving, there was an 8 yr old girl that found a diamond on the surface as her and her family were leaving....just the nature of the beast

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Some poor soul dug it and left a mound but didn't spot it. Then some kid with good eyes comes along
and shouts Eureka. My niece's daughter found a small blue one just eyeballing.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to go there alot, haven't been back since the 90's, found alot over the year's, most of it from grounds that are now out of bounds, found several browns that went 90 points (100 points is a carat) found two browns that were over a carat, i still have lots of multi-colored 5-12 points, and my two best finds, a 10 point black in its perfect strata (two pyrimids stuck together) and a 63 point green, i was going to donate the black to the park for their display since they didnt have one, and when they explained it to the tourist they didnt always get the picture, but isaw in a recent picture that they have one now, not quite as perfect as mine but much larger, the one they have on display looks to be close to 2 carats, had lots of great times there and made lots of friends, there is an old man that used to go there and made a very good living off what mined there, i wonder if he's still mining, his name was curts archer, i once saw a 10 carat peanat shaped white that he found and lost the same day, it was in an asprin bottle, and we helped him look for it for two day's, at he end of the second day he went to his truck and there sat the asprin bottle on the door handle of his truck (empty) someone letting him know, no need in searching any more, there was also a man and his grandaughter that were there almost every day, he found quite a few, and found the prettiest diamond i have ever seen a 4 carat heart shape yellow with a red garnet crack running through it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread